Announcing the BCD396XT and BC346XT Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
Your saying it will mute encryption on a conventional digital frequency or just talk groups on a digital trunked system.

It mutes encrypted transmissions whether they are conventional or trunked P25. It does not mute talkgroups. If one unit uses encryption it will mute his transmission and if his buddy responds in the clear it doesn't mute.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Actually, the 396D will resume scan/search if a talkgroup with encryption comes up. It will only stay on the talkgroup (with the ENC transmission muted) if you are on HOLD on that talkgroup. At least, that's my experience.. the scanner resumes scan/search quickly enough that I can't get to the scanner to lock out the enc TG.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the 396D will resume scan/search if a talkgroup with encryption comes up. It will only stay on the talkgroup (with the ENC transmission muted) if you are on HOLD on that talkgroup. At least, that's my experience.. the scanner resumes scan/search quickly enough that I can't get to the scanner to lock out the enc TG.

That is not how my 396T behaves on conventional P25. It will stop on an encrypted transmission, dieplay ENC and after a short burst of digital noise it goes quiet but it continues to hold on the frequency. It will only resume scanning after the transmission is over. Am I missing a setting?

I will have to try to find a trunk with some ENC traffic and see what it does there.

rvawatch

That is not how my 396T behaves on conventional P25. It will stop on an encrypted transmission, dieplay ENC and after a short burst of digital noise it goes quiet but it continues to hold on the frequency. It will only resume scanning after the transmission is over. Am I missing a setting?

I will have to try to find a trunk with some ENC traffic and see what it does there.

that's how the 396t works, yes. i had one for a while.

the 996t mutes and then continues scanning immediately. i had one of those for awhile too.

no i dont want to hear the encryption... here in williamsburg alot of the times one of the 2 people talking is encrypted, so i dont want to lock it out, otherwise id be locking out everything. I don't know why they would remove the feature, but I haven't seen it anywhere on the specs sheets that it has it.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
that's how the 396t works, yes. i had one for a while.

the 996t mutes and then continues scanning immediately. i had one of those for awhile too.

no i dont want to hear the encryption... here in williamsburg alot of the times one of the 2 people talking is encrypted, so i dont want to lock it out, otherwise id be locking out everything. I don't know why they would remove the feature, but I haven't seen it anywhere on the specs sheets that it has it.

Gotcha. I have a new reason to want a 996. :( I didn't know they did that and I would hope the XT does the same. I agree with everything else you say. I never thought to look for the feature and assumed it was a given.

rvawatch

For those wondering about a base version... if you look at Uniden's history, the 996t came out the year after the 396t, so perhaps that will be the case here. I don't know if Paul announced the 996t at the same time as the 396t (someone else may know, or you could prbly dig up the thread..assuming there is one). This is all just speculation though, so I really have no idea.

rvawatch

Gotcha. I have a new reason to want a 996. :( I didn't know they did that and I would hope the XT does the same. I agree with everything else you say. I never thought to look for the feature and assumed it was a given.

thinking about it, I guess the 996t doesn't have encryption mute since it just immediately keeps scanning. It's more just encryption skip... but yea the same idea. I'd like to see the 396xt have a user selectable option for encryption skip, encryption mute, or I guess even neither (maybe someone out there likes the sound of encryption? lol)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
all the 396's I owned heard the ENC for half a second then they moved on (never stayed) but I only have digital trunking locally not conv.

It only got to be a problem if the scanner was on one system and in ID scan (very little to scan) because it would keep coming back to the ENC transmission noise then resume.. Repeat

rvawatch

all the 396's I owned heard the ENC for half a second then they moved on (never stayed) but I only have digital trunking locally not conv.

It only got to be a problem if the scanner was on one system and in ID scan (very little to scan) because it would keep coming back to the ENC transmission noise then resume.. Repeat

Do you have the international version? That's the only thing I can think of..

wvscanner

Database Admin
all the 396's I owned heard the ENC for half a second then they moved on (never stayed)

My understanding of this is vary from the type of system that is used. For a true apco 25 system you can not do this with a 396t, it will have sound for about 1/2 second then mutes till traffic is done then scan. If you are on a moto VHF, UHF, and 800 band system then you can enable the status bit and it will skip the talk group if it is enc.

Or that is how I understand it.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Correct it wasnt a true P25 system just a moto UHF system with digital talkgroups (Fleetnet local Ontario Police)

My understanding of this is vary from the type of system that is used. For a true apco 25 system you can not do this with a 396t, it will have sound for about 1/2 second then mutes till traffic is done then scan. If you are on a moto VHF, UHF, and 800 band system then you can enable the status bit and it will skip the talk group if it is enc.

Or that is how I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.