Announcing the BCD396XT and BC346XT Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenJJ

Vote for Black 396XT (for what it's worth)

I still would prefer the black for the 396T.

Well, if it was my decision to decide colors, I would make the 396XT color black, too. To me SILVER = "Classy", or "Sophisticated", but BLACK = "No nonsense PROFESSIONAL".

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
396: BLACK, Definitely BLACK

Well, if it was my decision to decide colors, I would make the 396XT color black, too. To me SILVER = "Classy", or "Sophisticated", but BLACK = "No nonsense PROFESSIONAL".
torontokris: I still would prefer the black for the 396T.
I still say black is a better color for the 396.

I wonder if you can purchase a cover for the 346 (black) and put in on your 396.

Not sure why Uniden is not listening to us on this one. :confused:

:roll:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Black Color!!!

Because the scanners are most likely already on the ship to Fort Worth from the manufacturing plant?
lol...l realize that, but I remember we have been talking about making them black since they announced the BCD396T and then the BCD996T and BCT15. If they were listening to us about the color of the unit, these new ones would be black.

Don't get me wrong, they have listened to us on a number of other issues and features, and for that I am thankful; but some guy(s)/gal(s) in the "design department" think(s) gray/silver color on the face is better (even though we want black).

:roll:

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Don't get me wrong, they have listened to us on a number of other issues and features, and for that I am thankful; but some guy(s)/gal(s) in the "design department" think(s) gray/silver color on the face is better (even though we want black.

Or that the BCD996 and BCD396T <classic> were chosen to be silver originally, so they had all these cases painted in a batch and have some left over. :p

Next production batch will be black, hi hi...:D

Tryton

Does the 996t have EDACS ESK Tracking? if not, will it or can it be upgraded by firmware? thanks all

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Does the 996t have EDACS ESK Tracking? if not, will it or can it be upgraded by firmware? thanks all

edit: glad you were able to get your question answered.
The 996 did not have ESK out of the box but you are right the firmware update added that capability.
Now to continue with the 346xt/396xt goodness!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

stevekt

What will happen to the prices of the BC246T and BCD396T when their replacements come out?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
What will happen to the prices of the BC246T and BCD396T when their replacements come out?

Just like any piece of technology when a newer version comes out I think it would be safe to assume that the prices would go down a little...and considering that both the 246 & 396T are both great radios that is something positive!
Marshall KE4ZNR

bonus1331

From description:
Control Channel Data Output – allows the analysis of control channel data without the need to perform invasive modifications to the scanner.

So, this radio will be able to utilize Unitrunker out of the box?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
So, this radio will be able to utilize Unitrunker out of the box?

That is the implication, yes.

I'm curious what the cable connection is like for that output. Is it thru the serial connection - so that I can't use GPS and CC output at the same time? Or a separate cable of some proprietary sort?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

ballymore

re uniden 396 xt

hi all,

what is the difference with the new model v the 396t ?(apart from screen colour )

cheers ,mike

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have a foot in both the Uniden and GRE camps. I currently have a Uniden Bearcat BCD996T, which I use in my home, and a GRE PSR-500, which I mainly use mobile. I like both of them. I got the 996 first and then bought the PSR500 a year or so later. When I first started using the PSR-500, it definitely had an edge over the 996 on the digital trunked CQPSK 800 mHz systems that I monitor. I am current on firmware for both units. With the latest Uniden update, I am hard pressed to say which has the better audio of the two units. As far as current features go, they clearly have some differences. The most important differences right now for me are:

996 has P25 encrypted audio mute

500 has NAC codes

Once the 396XT is available, I think that I would like playing with the Fire Tone Out search feature. The GRE radio unit ID display is nice, but not a deal breaker for me. It will be tough for me to decide if I want to have a foot in both camps in the future, or if I will go all Uniden or all GRE. Since the NAC code feature will be added, I suppose I will lean towards the Uniden. I would sure like to see GRE add the encrypted audio mute, but I recall reading that it is currently possible.

Anyway, for those of you interested in the BCD396XT, which of the new features most interest you?

GTO_04

Anyway, for those of you interested in the BCD396XT, which of the new features most interest you?

The switchable IF looks good. Most important to me, the ability to designate TGs as "digital only" to
get rid of the motorboating that plagues the 396. That is the one area where the current 396 lags the
the PSR-500. The new speaker cover design may be a big factor too if it improves the audio.

GTO_04

scannersnstuff

I have a foot in both the Uniden and GRE camps. I currently have a Uniden Bearcat BCD996T, which I use in my home, and a GRE PSR-500, which I mainly use mobile. I like both of them. I got the 996 first and then bought the PSR500 a year or so later. When I first started using the PSR-500, it definitely had an edge over the 996 on the digital trunked CQPSK 800 mHz systems that I monitor. I am current on firmware for both units. With the latest Uniden update, I am hard pressed to say which has the better audio of the two units. As far as current features go, they clearly have some differences. The most important differences right now for me are:

996 has P25 encrypted audio mute

500 has NAC codes

Once the 396XT is available, I think that I would like playing with the Fire Tone Out search feature. The GRE radio unit ID display is nice, but not a deal breaker for me. It will be tough for me to decide if I want to have a foot in both camps in the future, or if I will go all Uniden or all GRE. Since the NAC code feature will be added, I suppose I will lean towards the Uniden. I would sure like to see GRE add the encrypted audio mute, but I recall reading that it is currently possible.

although all of the new feature's of the 396xt look good to me,the one's of specific eye catching interest to me are. 1.the 2 tone search feature. 2.the multiple backlight's. i have my foot in both camp's too.love stuff about my gre's.love stuff about my uniden's.competition = a great thing. bring it on guy's ! .

Status
Not open for further replies.