"Anomalous frequencies" in riot zones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

oddball stuff reported in NC on 451.8

RFI-EMI-GUY

Nothing on FRS or GMRS other than the usual local idiots. I did find a lot of activity and a repeater on some 800 interop freqs in Orange County, CA. Will be looking at VHF lo again after reports of National Guard setting up equipment on Signal Hill near Long Beach, CA.

Try MURS,

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If I were looking, I'd probably start with the frequencies that come in the Baofeng and other CCRs from the factory. The people using these radios are probably not going to look into whether or not those frequencies are in use, legal for them to use, etc.

spacellamaman

nd5y

and alpha tags of ...i dunno what.
The only list with alpha tags is what comes programmed in radios Rugged Radios sells for racing use.
anybody have insight into the non-frs/murs/dot selections?
I don't think the factory frequencies are intended for any particular country or market. Maybe they are safe to use in Asian countries.

If the factories do any kind of alignment or frequency and power level adjustments on the assembly lines and they are too cheap or stupid to use screen rooms then the test frequencies may be selected so they don't interfere with local users near the factories in China and so they don't interfere with different lines in the same factory. I don't know if they actually test anything or why they don't ship the radios with no frequencies programmed.

nd5y

I should mention that the frequency lists in the wiki article are just ones that I happened to find that day. I didn't look very hard or very long.

There may be more frequencies used or some of the lists in the wiki could be obsolete by now. Don't assume that every CCR on Amazon is programmed with the same frequencies.

I could be wrong. Maybe the CCR factories steal each other's firmware and default frequencies.

spacellamaman

yeah that all makes sense. the more i think about it anyway, instead of trying to compile/eliminate duplicates into a single list, i think i am just going to make a list of all the freqs listed as Channel #1.

it ain't like anyone is gonna bother with the others anyway :D

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
They could just have it paired to their phones and using a Zello group. Might not even be a radio or repeater system.

Reactions: wtp

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The only list with alpha tags is what comes programmed in radios Rugged Radios sells for racing use.

I don't think the factory frequencies are intended for any particular country or market. Maybe they are safe to use in Asian countries.

If the factories do any kind of alignment or frequency and power level adjustments on the assembly lines and they are too cheap or stupid to use screen rooms then the test frequencies may be selected so they don't interfere with local users near the factories in China and so they don't interfere with different lines in the same factory. I don't know if they actually test anything or why they don't ship the radios with no frequencies programmed.

Ive seen a video on a local site of a chinese walkie talkie production line baofeng dual band 5 watt types, they came down the moving belt to a nice lady who inserts batteries and tests the units by turning up volume and blowing a word or two into the mic for positive transmissions

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
There is a local group in my neck of the woods that does weekend paramilitary training not too far from my neighborhood. I won't name them publicly, but they appear to be using the MURS radios and 151.820, 151.880 and 151.940 are very busy. I have dedicated one scanner to track them and have also found them to be using 462.6125, 462.5625 just as much if not more. They also do a roll call on CB Ch 4 on Sunday mornings, then somebody will usually rebroadcast a sermon by some church. Just 2 hours ago we could hear them target practicing. Not uncommon around here to hear that tack-tack-tack out in the woods. I am sure the peaceful protesters out there are using one if not all of the available frequencies in that regard - MURS, GMRS, FRS, Business Itinerants, CB Radio, etc. I scan them all, no telling what might be found.

merlin

Riot zones, of course the first responders have their radios and linked with repeaters or BDA amps, even in vehicles.
As for rioters themselves, the best they may have is FRS/GMRS with limited number of repeaters and the authorities ARE listening in, probably how the media caught wind. Yea, most of these cheap walki talkies have remote mics with earbuds.

JDrisc3480

Well . . . maybe. What Lara Logan said sparked my interest. Maybe she's wrong, but IF she is right, wouldn't it be intriguing to intercept the signals?

Think of it as a signals intelligence problem. Let's suppose that you suspect that there are possibly some people not just acting randomly in these riots, and they are using radio to coordinate their efforts. How would you (or me) detect their signals?

Look, I've been involved with and written about radio for decades (PopComm, MT, Passport To World Band Radio, QST), but at the same time I'll admit that I'm a total newb at this scanner thing (I just started scanning a short while ago), but it strikes me that this might be a classic scanner problem. You would expect police, fire, ems, maybe national guard to be there. And maybe the people who are possibly coordinating folks at the riot are using FRS, GMRS, MURS (as one responder suggested) or maybe they are bootlegging some frequencies. Maybe there is the possibility that their signals would stick out like a sore thumb if they are using spectrum where they are not supposed to be.

Further, I thought that maybe . . . just maybe . . . one of the old hands here who is close to the action might give this some thought.

Or another possibility is that this is just a goofy idea. I won't be offended if you say so.

Cheers, Jock
That is an interesting idea. Since the protesters seem to be listening to police communications via scanners and relaying information to others, the idea to listen to the protesters communications and relay that information to other officers.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I posted in another thread that I saw a pic of a rioter wearing a full tactical vest and there was a yellow&black Baofeng in a holster on his shoulder. He had ear mic attached. Maglite, pepper spray, skater helmet, and ASP nightstick. Camo face mask. It looks like they have organized coms, and it looks like they are well-funded. No expense spared in the communications department lol.

wtp

seeing one guy with a radio just means that one guy has a radio.
i did one time, years ago, in park ridge new jersey see a guy talk into his scanner at a fire scene.
yes, it was a scanner i was close enough to see the 4 leds light up.
i do not know what he was trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.