another newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1945

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me why I get a noise like a motor running on some 800 frequencies that I can't shut out?

sjlamb

Can someone tell me why I get a noise like a motor running on some 800 frequencies that I can't shut out?

Those would be the control channels for trunked radio systems and should be programmed as part of trunked system. They should not be entered as conventional channels since they only carry data streams as you have already heard.

N8IAA

Guessing that you don't have a trunktracking scanner, or as, sjlamb stated, you don't have it in the proper trunking mode. What model of scanner do you have? We might be able to help:)
Larry

mike1945

Premium Subscriber
It's a Radio Shack Pro 2055. We know he's doing something wrong but just not savvy enough to know what. Any help would be appreciated.

sjlamb

It's a Radio Shack Pro 2055. We know he's doing something wrong but just not savvy enough to know what. Any help would be appreciated.

ALL trunking scanners are a nightmare to program manually as opposed to using programming software and a computer to accomplish the task. This is true for both expert and novice users.

A premium membership to the RR Database so that you can download trunked system data and load it directly into your scanner makes the chore Soooooo much faster and easier.

The easier to read online manual should become your "go to" reference for learning how to use the Pro-2055: Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual

Rather than simply trying to read, understand and retain the entire manual; I would suggest that you goal yourself to learn specific tasks one at a time. For example:

(1) What is the difference between a trunked radio system and a conventional radio system?

(2) How to program a conventional frequency

(3) How to program a trunked radio system and its' frequencies. What is a Site?

(4) What is a talkgroup ID and how do I add them to a trunked system that I have programmed?

(5) What type of trunked systems are being used in my area? Edacs? Motorola Type I? Motorola Type II? LTR?, etc.

The list of tasks to learn is endless but those above are a start. I would have the scanner in front of you as you read thru the Easier to Read Manual and actually try each task as you are studying the manual. The real benefit to doing so is to begin to get a feel for the logic (or lack thereof) of how various menu items, tasks and functions are accessed and/or executed.

Programming by computer and software is much faster and easier to master BUT ultimately, you will need to know how to operate and control the radio manually.

Not knowing what State, County and City you reside it makes it diificult to advise further. You may be able to find someone near you in the States forums that can give you very detailed information for your local listening area or other help in gettin you ap and running.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.