Antenna on my roof - need information

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8SFC

I'm a disabled veteran and I am wanting to put a wire aerial on my roof. I have some help for installing it, but I need advice on what I need to acquire to get this project done.

I plan on using two tripod roof brackets, one at each end of the 70 foot ridgeline, and each fitted with a 5 foot mast. I don't know what wire to use, and I plan to use some kind of terminal block mounted on a mast at one end to connect the feed wire to the coax I will be using to get it inside the house. It will be grounded at one end, and the masts will have guy wires for bracing. Do I need a balun, and if so what specific one? Any detailed specs on the wire gauge, insulated vs bare wire, type of insulators to rig it with at each end, will be much appreciated as well as what size of coax should I use? What is the best way to connect the terminal block to the aerial wire? * I am assuming the terminal block will clamp onto the mast.

I think this will work, but it needs to be able to handle seasonal high winds that come with the Spring and Fall thunderstorms here in SE Michigan.

I appreciate your tolerance of my unfamiliarity with the subject. I want this for use with my old (1957) Grundig tube radio for SWL. It gets good AM and FM but SW is very weak without an antenna.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
What you're describing is essentially an End-Fed Half Wave Antenna. Search with your Internet search of choice for "end fed half wave" or EFHW and you will find loads of info.... both for building your own or buying ready-made. Several of the sites describing the EFHW have many replies discussing what worked for them and what did not, what materials were used, etc. Much more info than you'll get in the replies here.

lmrtek

First of all I want to thank you for your service

What I would do is run the wire inside the attic

if you have a normal asphalt and wood roof, you will notice slightly less performance but will be out of the elements and out of sight

and all you really need is a random length wire run directly to the receiver

the longer the better

Status
Not open for further replies.