Antenna Suggestion Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

Speaking of antennas, I need some help as well. I need a mobile that is fairly inexpensive, but is not a mag-mount. When I am out sometimes in my father's van, I take my HT. We have a Chevy Lumina APV Van, which has no metal on the body for a mag-mount. He will not allow me to drill, or permanently mount anything. What I would like is something that might be able to mount (clamp) on the luggage rack, or maybe the bumper. I do not want to spend too much on it, since we will not use all that much, although (if and when) he gets his "ticket" he might be a little more open to some other ideas. Any ideas on what I can use?

73, KD0HMI

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Nice threadjack...

I'm moving your question to its own thread.... That thread was not about your friends Chevy Lumina APV

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of antennas, I need some help as well. I need a mobile that is fairly inexpensive, but is not a mag-mount. When I am out sometimes in my father's van, I take my HT. We have a Chevy Lumina APV Van, which has no metal on the body for a mag-mount. He will not allow me to drill, or permanently mount anything. What I would like is something that might be able to mount (clamp) on the luggage rack, or maybe the bumper. I do not want to spend too much on it, since we will not use all that much, although (if and when) he gets his "ticket" he might be a little more open to some other ideas. Any ideas on what I can use?

73, KD0HMI

Hesitant about making holes in a Chevy Lumina minivan? I don't think anyone will really notice on that one. :evil:

I digress though. In all seriousness, Diamond makes some mounts for luggage racks and whatnot. Here are some odd mounts that you might want to look at -- Diamond® Antenna ~ Mobile Antenna Mounts -- look under the mirror and luggage rack mount section.

Something like the K515SNMO would do nicely for you. Hamcity has it listed for $63.95 at K515SNMO - Luggage Rack w/ Cable - HamCity / Ham Radio Equipment. I think that's about the going price for a luggage rack mount.

mparker

i find it hard to believe any automobile wouldnt have enough metal for the mfg mag mount i suggested... it uses a rare earth magnet its not much larger than a quarter at the base...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe a Larsen glass mount antenna would work in your case? Like other op on RR,I don't normally suggest a glass mount,but the Larsen "kul-rod" glass mounts are an exception to the rule.
n9zas

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
i find it hard to believe any automobile wouldnt have enough metal for the mfg mag mount i suggested... it uses a rare earth magnet its not much larger than a quarter at the base...

A lot of people would tell me this is the "wrong way" of doing it... but... I have a Diamond NR72BNMO on a mag mount that sits atop a very small aluminum coffee can in my first floor south-facing apartment window sill. And I can hit most of the repeaters that I want.

gewecke

Banned
Nope,you're not wrong. If it works DO IT!
73's
n9zas

kb2vxa

Banned
Now THAT'S the Amateur spirit, "whatever works". Speaking of which, since the luggage rack seems to be the only alternative the rhetorical question is what is it made of? If we're looking at a fair chunk of metal here coated or not there you have your electrical counterpoise. What you need to do in this case is get a good metal to metal contact between it and the antenna mount. I'm not standing there looking at it so figure that one out yourself. If it's some plastic junk most things are made out of these days just add metal. A couple of 19" wires (at least one) connected to the mount and run in opposite directions along the rack and carefully concealed should do it. This of course assumes that beginners usually gravitate to the 2M band, as one progresses other avenues open to further discussion.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
mag mount that sits atop a very small aluminum coffee can in my first floor south-facing apartment window sill. And I can hit most of the repeaters that I want.

how do you get a mag mount to stick to Aluminum?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
how do you get a mag mount to stick to Aluminum?

I wasn't aware that aluminum doesn't bond with magnets. I figured everything these days is made out of aluminum, so I used it as a generic term. The mag mount does indeed bond properly to the coffee can with no adhesives required.

Status
Not open for further replies.