AntennaCraft ST2 VHF/UHF + Alumn. Flag Pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

contactDX

*I'm in the process of getting my shack set up for the arrival of my Tech ticket. I'll have a seperate thread dealing with putting up a 2m antenna for Tx/Rx from a base unit.*

I've been spending the past few days at home, off from work for the holiday, trying to find a way to increase VHF/UHF reception in my shack on my PRO-404 scanner (I'd get a digital trunk tracking base unit if I had the money!).

I'm using a Radio Shack 28" wideband VHF/UHF glass mounted antenna on my car with pretty good results. I've found that it greatly enhances aircraft UNICOM reception and distant traffic on PCRN repeaters when I'm mobile, both of which are important to me (between listening to 2m on the road and plane spotting at local airports, it works great!).

When listening at home, I have to resort to my factory "Rubber Ducky" with pretty crappy results inside my home. Hence, wanting to erect a simple mast for better reception... without breaking the bank. I'm on a shoestring budget at the moment.

What I've came up with is as follows:

My mom has a 20' aluminum flagpole at her home which she is wanting to get rid of. I'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

I'll likely be erecting the flag pole approx 30 feet from my shack, while avoiding a service drop (power lines) and a few trees which love to drop large branches during each afternoon storm.

90% of the repeaters I monitor are north or slightly to the northwest, bearing between 320 and 350 degrees, ranges of 20-30 miles. I have three 70ft trees to the north of my home at a distance of 170 feet, and a line of 80ft trees past that at 450-500 feet. To the south is nothing but rather thick woods and swamp, trees upwards of 80 feet within 40 feet of my location... this goes on for well over a mile. Given that I'll be monitoring the north more than anything else with VHF/UHF, I don't see this being too much of a problem... at least until I put up a HF antenna which will be aimed east or south east but that's neither here nor there.

The best place to locate the antenna would be about 150 feet north of my home... but I'm unsure of running 150+ feet of coax and of course, digging the trench for it (I JUST dug a 120ft trench, 12" deep and 8" wide to lay conduit for comm lines at work... I didn't enjoy it!). Any input on this?

Option #2 is to erect it about 30ft east of my shack, with those thick woods about 40ft south of it. Then, I'd only have to run 30ft of coax to my home, plus the length from the antenna at the top and the length needed to get it around inside the shack to my radios. 100ft total length should be plenty here and I don't have to worry about digging up a whole lot in the process.

The pole while be set into concrete, probably in a hole 16"x16"16". I think this should be enough.

Specs for the ST2:

• W 26" L 20" H 120" Weight 4 lbs.
    15 Electronic Elements
    Frequency 30-1300 MHz
    Output Impedance: 300 Ohms
    50 Feet of coax included
    Includes hardware for mounting to a mast, and 75 Ohm Transformer for coaxial connection
    Also Includes F to BNC adapter

I'm a rookie when it comes to grounding this thing out, so does anyone have any advice on this? I'm thinking of just using a coax ground block for the line and a "grounding bracket" (not sure of the correct term) mounted to the mast, with a 4ft steel stob drove into the ground and attached to the bracket with a length of copper wire.

Should this suffice to reduce static buildup? I plan on leaving everything disconnected when not in use or during any sort of electrical storms (severe wx). Throw in some high quality/rated surge suppressors and I think I'm set.

Am I missing anything here? Does it seem like a decent idea or do you guys see any problems looming over the horizon?

I definitely appreciate it!

73's, John.

n4yek

I would go with Option #2 and your idea for grounding would be just what you need.
That is similar to my setup and I have never removed my coax from my radio, even during storms.
Of coarse I have cheap scanner hooked to it so it would not matter if it got hit or not, i don't think i would leave my digital scanner hooked up. That would be costly for me if it got hit by lightning. :)

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Remember that the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that all grounds be connected together at a common point (electrical, RF, Antenna, phone, CATV, satellite, etc.)
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.