Anybody ADDICTED ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
5
Location
West Michigan
You know your a scaner-head when the wife tells you she cant sleep with all the noise and lights +;-)

I usually have a scanner always with me. So much to scan, so little time.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
I am not addicted...:roll:

However, I will point out if you have enough scanners that don't have alpha tags (or even show a frequency) you can lock one on each local dispatch channel of interest and have a use for all those old scanners you can find deals on. :wink:

I am not addicted...
 

mfn002

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
26
Location
Bryan, Texas
Every time I leave the house, I take my 396 with me. In fact, I take it with me when I go on long trips, mainly to Houston. I have every possible frequency programmed in that is recievable along the way to Houston. I also have every frequency recievable in Huntsville (in the same bank). I use a big (14" long!) Diamond RH77CA handheld antenna when I'm on the road. It's funny because the antenna is about twice as long as the 396 itself!

I ALSO hate it when I miss an interesting event. It stays around with me for days, if not longer. I have two scanners running in my room almost all day (My 796 and 996). And, if I am in the mood, I listen to a live Houston Fire Department stream over my computer as well (so, technically, I am listening to THREE scanners at once). I also have a GP300 UHF programmed to monitor the local high school (which is always interesting) which is also on--and, if there's a volunteer call, I'll have a GP300 VHF that I've programmed monitoring THAT!!! Now, that's ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

W4KRR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
3,730
Reaction score
307
Location
Coconut Creek
I've had scanners/radios for over 30 years. They're in almost every room of the house. In fact, between all my battery chargers, scanners and ham rigs being charged, at night the room is filled with little red and green lights from all the things that are charging; makes it easy to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night!
 

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
0
Reaction score
1
Location
State Line
loumaag said:
I am not addicted...:roll:

However, I will point out if you have enough scanners that don't have alpha tags (or even show a frequency) you can lock one on each local dispatch channel of interest and have a use for all those old scanners you can find deals on. :wink:

I am not addicted...

LOL..............I do like the Alpha tags big time for trips and what not....locally are we so addicted that we know just from the first word spoken what department ? GRIN - I do , now that's ADDICTED.
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
2,974
Reaction score
1
Location
Tulsa, OK
maddogdecker said:
I do it all the time kraziebill. I take my pro 96 in there all the time.
just don't drop it! :lol:

I have a friend that is also an active RR member (actually, I met him on here and got to be good friends with him) that doesn't need alpha tags! He has 99% of all the talkgroup on the Tulsa/DPS TRS site memorized! and he can tell you what TRS you are eharing by the frequency... now that's dedicated!
 

kerrydjones

Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2004
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I go everywhere with my ICOM R5-11 and BC 246T. I uses 2 ear buds, so people think I am listening to music. I don't want miss anything. So I am very addicted.
 

maddogdecker

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
317
Reaction score
1
Location
Dekalb County, IN
Phil, I aways put my on the counter or on the tub. So I know I drop it. Ur friend is nuts. I have a hard time remember all the fort wayne stuff. The alpha tags really help me out.
 

netfire

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
169
Reaction score
9
Location
Lapeer , MI
My wife says that I have my scanner(s) glued to my ear(s). Never leave home without my scanner(s). This past New Years Eve we had a small plane crash in our area. My wife, son, and I were in "Game Craze" picking up PS games. My FNNM (Fire Notification Network of Michigan) alpha pager went off. It was another dispatcher of our group that was over 150 miles north of us for the weekend looking for help on a plane crash on Rose St. in Macomb County he over heard on a state T/G. My wife and I knew of a Rose St. in another comminuty. I had my Pro96 turned down in my inside jacket pocket. Seen all the apparatus go flying by and turned up the 96. Needless to say it was down the road from us and nearly in my inlaws front yard.

I tell her it's better than going to the bar and chasing wilder women......
 

jonny290

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
687
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
I'm so addicted that -

-I started wearing a belt specifically so that I could carry my 396 around
-I bought not one, but two PCR100's so I could run scanner streams to my workplace
-Back in the day when I scanned the local TRS on a regular ham rig, the change of control channel at 8am would be my alarm clock. Wake up, lock out the new CC, unlock the old.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
landonjensen said:
hey has anyone ever seen Lou's shack? I searched but found nothing....
No, only the wife gets to see it (right now it is in the bedroom). Well wait, when I was in SD a couple of DCI (Dept of Criminal Investigations) guys wanted to see it but that is another story. :roll:
 

mkewman

Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
33
Location
Sacramento County, California
there is NOTHING worse than running out of batteries on your scanner, and not having a cord.

My batteries ran out on my 97 at 3am on xmas day. nothing open. no batteries. i FLIPPED.

anyone else yell "NOOOOOOO" when they hear that warning beep?

as for the doctor pepper, i'm addicted to that too. :D
 

Lodis

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
87
Reaction score
1
There is a very simple cure to all scanner addiction, all you need to do is move to the UK. Over here you are likely to be stopped if seen walking around with one of these, about 98% of the transmissions you guys can listen to in the US is illegal to listen to over here and further more, pretty soon all Police, Fire and Ambulance and any other interesting transmissions will be going Airwave (AKA Tetra). I have heard of people having their scanners confiscated as well, this is why a compact sized scanner is a must, for example the BCD396T and the UBC3500 are a perfect size but I wouldn't be walking around with the AR8200 or the Uniden UBC-3300XLT.

Still, I am really into scanning and I have an AR8200, a Yaesu VR-120, a BCD396T, a UBC3500, an Optoelectronics Scout Model 40, a Watson Hunter and a UBC780 XLT (also have a wireless camera scanner).

I have to say my favourite is the BCD396T, so much technology packed into such a compact case, it is simply amasing. The last time I used Close Call in a town centre I got 196 individual hits.
 

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
502
Reaction score
109
Location
New York, NY
Bah scanner addiction should be considered a illness...you should be able to get disability for it...

Problem is, in my case, it moved to transceiver portables so it got more expensive...so yea I'm addicted, still scan all the Fire and EMS in my area (they are conventional thank god, so their programmed Rx only into my MTS2000 Model II UHF), though on long trips ... the scanner needs to be on the belt as well, so thats 2 radios ...
 

Turbo68

Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
880
Reaction score
46
Location
East Devonport,Tasmania,Australia
I have been hooked in Scanning for 30 years and I got 2 Radios Shacks and its not enough I also got a small shack in my in laws house and I even take one and Listen before I go to sleep,its a bug.

Regards Lino (Melbourne Australia) ALINCO-DJX2000E,AOR-3000A,AOR-8200MK3,ICOM-R5,ICOM-R20,ICOM-PCR1000,ICOM-R2500ICOM-R9000,ICOM-R9500,MAYCOM-AR108,UNIDEN-245,UNIDEN-780,UNIDEN-396,UNIDEN-996,RADIO SHACK-PRO96,REALISTIC-PRO2035,YAESU-VR500,YAESU-VR5000,YAESU-VX7R.
 

BaLa

Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2004
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
38
Location
4GRC+83; Temple, TX 76502
my 96 goes to work with me, and usually everywhere else I go..


mkewman said:
there is NOTHING worse than running out of batteries on your scanner, and not having a cord.
My batteries ran out on my 97 at 3am on xmas day. nothing open. no batteries. i FLIPPED.
anyone else yell "NOOOOOOO" when they hear that warning beep?
as for the doctor pepper, i'm addicted to that too.

I always have an extra set of charged batteries with me..
 
Last edited:

jharr465

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
76
Reaction score
23
Location
Niceville, FL
I have an earphone with an ear hook in my ear connected to my PRO-97 each night as I sleep. I have learned to sleep through the "routine" traffic, but will wake up when the dispatcher or officer gets excited and the pitch picks up. This keeps the wife happy, as she can't hear it! I have heard much of the best listening between 2 and 4 am! I have ten scanners distributed throughout the house and my workplace, including the garage. Boy, am I hooked!

John
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top