Anyone else in the Kingman area able to check for unlicensed chatter on 450.800 MHz?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
While doing a 450-460 range search non-stop the past couple weeks to try and find any new businesses that haven't been added to the database yet I came across this strange couple of people using 450.800 MHz simplex analog with no tone mostly from the northern parts of town.

If there is anyone else in town or that regularly visits here that could you plug this frequency into your receivers to help identify the use case here and what exactly it is they're doing please?

N9JIG

Sheriff
As already said it is probably employees of the local radio or TV station. Searching the FCC database might find them but the license might not be from Arizona, licensed back to the corporate HQ.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
While doing a 450-460 range search non-stop the past couple weeks to try and find any new businesses that haven't been added to the database yet I came across this strange couple of people using 450.800 MHz simplex analog with no tone mostly from the northern parts of town.

If there is anyone else in town or that regularly visits here that could you plug this frequency into your receivers to help identify the use case here and what exactly it is they're doing please?

As already said it is probably employees of the local radio or TV station. Searching the FCC database might find them but the license might not be from Arizona, licensed back to the corporate HQ.

Reference to "first performance of the new years" definitely says it is commercial broadcast IFB users.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Reference to "first performance of the new years" definitely says it is commercial broadcast IFB users.
except it definitely doesn't because nothing like that exists out here. I know since it's something I've regularly audited for for years now and I very much doubt it's the maintenance technicians that go up to the mountain sites since I'm familiar with who does that and they don't use Two-Way radio to do it. With the exception of one church on Low Power Analog there are no local stations, news vans, or live broadcasting here, this isn't a Metro area.

That said they regularly watch TV in their houses together and were doing that the previous day for NYE and they don't even work at the same place. Frequency usage can be a bit odd out here requiring exercising of our outside the typical box thinking and why I was trying to see if there were a few local monitors here to help pickup as they would also be more familiar with the local radioscape. I've heard from others in town and the next over on occasion over the years and was how I got help finding the local hospitals new DMR system before as well as a portable repeater last year including the inputs.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
A few minutes ago the mobile unit was full scale talking to the other person, four bars out of five. The mobile mentioned that radio station KAAA which is a local Kingman radio station was running ads for feral cats. The usual weather forecast was also mentioned. KAAA is owned by Cameron Broadcasting. Earlier today, a search of the FCC database failed to reveal a matching record for 450.8000 in Mohave County. Perhaps one of them works for KAAA or its affiliate station KZZZ in Bullhead City.

Last edited:

avdrummerboy

Do broadcast guys regularly use their IFB or other frequencies for general chit chat like a couple of hams like that? Genuinely curious as this sounds like two guys who just put a frequency into their baofeng or similar Chinese radio and went with it.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Do broadcast guys regularly use their IFB or other frequencies for general chit chat like a couple of hams like that? Genuinely curious as this sounds like two guys who just put a frequency into their baofeng or similar Chinese radio and went with it.
They use them for regular two way use yes sometimes, but for station related ops and usually onsite simplex. But there's none of those out here though, all the OTA TV stations are satellite/microwave fed from the nearby by out of town affiliates in Phoenix and the cable channels as come from elsewhere too. As for our local Cameron AM/FM stations all those shows are phoned/VOIPed in for any local programs with the rest being satellite fed from FOX, if you go downtown on the east end of Beale Street you will see their dishes on their building next to the new Daily Miner offices.

I did extensive FCC digging all over this state and neighboring just to be sure before posting the video and your BaoFeng theory seems the most correct. That kind of use is pretty popular out here among the radio interested people including myself. I've been doing that for over 10 years now on out of the way empty frequencies to avoid the butt-ins spinning the dial on the HAM simplex ranges when chatting with friends. I've even seen some railfan kids doing it too.

Oh and also one of our local Taxi companies I'm pretty sure was doing that as well when they still used to use mobile radios on 451.925, they tried to employ scrambling then eventually just abandoned the whole repeater a year later after noticing me monitoring in public a lot :ROFLMAO: I haven't checked whether the repeater hardware is still there and turned on still yet.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
A few minutes ago the mobile unit was full scale talking to the other person, four bars out of five. The mobile mentioned that radio station KAAA which is a local Kingman radio station was running ads for feral cats. The usual weather forecast was also mentioned. KAAA is owned by Cameron Broadcasting. Earlier today, a search of the FCC database failed to reveal a matching record for 450.8000 in Mohave County. Perhaps one of them works for KAAA or its affiliate station KZZZ in Bullhead City.

I just went over my recording logs of that and though they did it was kinda mentioned in passing like one would in casual conversation for a billboard or newspaper advert they read earlier.

I think AVdrummer got it right so unfortunately it's not anything that can be added to the database. But I'll continue to monitor just incase and for the entertainment value.

ecps92

Some areas, YES the Techs and others have been known to share freqs for Non Work use and some of them are also Amateurs and hold GMRS yet like to chat on those Part 74 channels