Anyone know how to get Port Chester PD to work on SDR Trunk ? I will pay $50. Thanks.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
I dont know if thats it. Its not in the 700 mhz band. I ended up installing a Wilson directional https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006H4FVM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I now have a better signal. I think I need to do some small adjustments if that location in the photo is correct. Im not off my much. I don't undestand how the police vehicles can even hear the dispatch from so far? Also, sometimes there isnt any traffic for a few hours. I know its not that dead. wtf is going on?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A "booster" will probably make matters worse, especially if you have nearby cell phone towers with Band 13/14 (700 MHz) cells. Keep in mind that an SDR will never have the same performance as a real subscriber radio that costs thousands of dollars and is designed to reject signals that it doesn't need to receive. Some of the agencies on this system are also using LTE to supplement RF coverage, where the subscriber radios can use LTE to connect to the trunked system in areas where the RF signal is weak or non-existent. If no subscribers are affiliated with the talkgroup via RF, then nothing is going to go out over the airwaves, and you're not going to hear anything.

Bottom line is that a cop could be standing outside of your house on portable with perfect reception, while you won't be able to receive much of anything even with your Yagi and a booster. That's just how these systems work these days.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I dont know if thats it. Its not in the 700 mhz band.
I was referring to the location I posted is close to where you posted . And the location I posted is actually rail road property.

I now have a better signal. I think I need to do some small adjustments if that location in the photo is correct.
I was able to, with the help of an lna (amp) receive that site from my location 30 miles away using a very thin wire yagi. Lots of stuff between that sight and my home. Plus its 700mhz. The amp brought in lots of noise but I got just enough signal to know it was that tower. Your a hell of a lot closer and should not need an amp.

1678274360667.png

Tuning wise is pretty simple. Load up this page in sdrt and try to achieve the best signal level by aiming the antenna slowly.. Start with the elements vertically until you reach the best possible signal. Then slowly rotate between vertical and horizontal. Sometimes it actually picks up better when not 100 percent vertical. Sometimes it does not.

1678274625982.png

Also, sometimes there isnt any traffic for a few hours. I know its not that dead.
I have seen times where there is either no crime or maybe they're on their old freq. Large gaps in the comms.

Last edited:

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
I have seen times where there is either no crime or maybe there on their old freq. Large gaps in the comms.
* They're

It could be possible that they go to THEIR VHF for the night tour. I dont know why but whatever. I can load it up on the 996P2 and report back, like i said earlier my signal is not that great, but i can try. It could aslso be a shear coincidence that they are entirely operating on LTE, where you wont hear anything, as has been stated many many times in this and other fourms.

I recall their coms from when they were in the early stages of testing, one officer was on the HQ radio and the other was on a portable radio, and the way they tested it was verbaly saying "ok testing at xyz street on P25" or "testing at xyz street on LTE". Of course if it was on Primary LTE we wouldnt hear it, but it was likeey user error. Key take away from this story is they hinted that they could be potentially using LTE. My suspicion is they are using half LTE and half P25.

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any luck with them yet?? Still can't hear them on my sds 200 and tried everything from different antennas to scanner settings and range adjustments and i'm located less than 10 miles from Harrison site talked about.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any luck with them yet?? Still can't hear them on my sds 200 and tried everything from different antennas to scanner settings and range adjustments and i'm located less than 10 miles from Harrison site talked about.
Where are you located? I'm actually in Port Chester. I've managed to finally get them on SDR on my computer. Had to buy a directional antenna. They come in now but it's not always 100% missed calls on occasion. Working out the kinks now.

nrfd1994

Premium Subscriber
Where are you located? I'm actually in Port Chester. I've managed to finally get them on SDR on my computer. Had to buy a directional antenna. They come in now but it's not always 100% missed calls on occasion. Working out the kinks now.
I,m in portchester as well, and cant hear them anywhere in the PC/Rye and Rye Brook area. I goto Larchmont/ Mamaroneck and i hear them ok but not 100%.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's important that everyone trying to monitor this system understand that it was never designed for blanketed wide area coverage. Yes, there are a lot of sites, however they are mostly low profile sites and not big, booming towers like you have with the county system. The MRRS was intended to cover the MTA's assets, which is why the majority of these sites are located along rail or major bus routes. The fact that they are forced to supplement the RF coverage with LTE is very telling.

The system emits low RF energy that doesn't radiate very far in most locations, so unless you happen to live right next to one of the sites, you're going to have to invest in a directional antenna (Yagi) that covers 700 MHz, point in whatever direction gets you the best signal, and hope for the best. That's the bottom line, really.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
I,m in portchester as well, and cant hear them anywhere in the PC/Rye and Rye Brook area. I goto Larchmont/ Mamaroneck and i hear them ok but not 100%.
Point a directional antenna over to the harrison railroad. 40.971363,-73.706462