anyone use airband radios ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Is anyone using portable airband only radios to monitor aircraft? I'm looking to get one, but want to hear others input regarding quality of receive, best radio, battery life etc

Alpha tagging would be ideal too I think yaesus does this

Thanks

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
arent they a little expensive? I guess with radios that recieve that band only will have a better reciever, but then if you want to spend

prcguy

I use several military surplus manpack transceivers for VHF and UHF air monitoring and they seem to work much better than any police scanner. They are a little more sensitive and the audio is really nice, almost like FM, where many scanners are mushy sounding in AM mode. I like the Motorola URC-110 (5KHz steps) but the URC-100 and 101 (25KHz steps) are fine also and can be had for a few hundred $. I also use the URC-110s on 2m FM and they can be programmed for seperate TX & RX frequencies. These were also used as UHF satcom terminals and are really hot when receiving UHF satcom in FM mode.
prcguy
eBay has two under $200. Brand new are around 250-300 I'm guessing.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Aint nothin like the real thing baby!

Yes that was a line from a commercial but its true...I owned the Icom IC-A22 for a few years before selling it during a money crunch. There is no radio, scanner or otherwise, that will compete with a true aircraft radio when it comes to sensitivity, selectivity, durability. Im sorry but its true. Some radios may come close, but never the same. I am looking into the newer Yaesu VXA-300. It is rugged, sensitive and GOD, it has 800 Mw of booming audio. It also has something that I think sets it appart entirely from the rest of the clan of aircraft receivers. Audio pitch control. Anyone who has been monitoring aircraft comms for any length of time knows how nice this feature is for AM voice signals. You can adjust the bass or treble on the receiving audio. The other nice thing is that the radio uses the exact same battery as the FT-60, KNB-83. So since I have after market batteries for my FT60 of 7.2 v 2500Ma, I can monitor aircraft on battery power for hours and hours without worries. The very best thing is the price. I found it in the $225-240 range which is very reasonable when compared to other radios of this type.

Manny

Last edited:

w0fg

Is that VR-330 a new model, or were you referring to the VXA-300? I can't find a link anywhere to a '330'.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
See what happens when you inhale?

LOL....You were right Rick. I have NO CLUE where I got that model number from. Thanks!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.