Anyone using Control4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Just curious who is using it, to what extent and about what it cost ya.. I know its not cheap, but it is neat.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
X-10 had me at price; Control4 is 5 times more expensive on components, and Control4 gets real testy if you want to install yourself.

X-10 owns the patents and their technology has been around since the '70's Radio Shack days (elderly mom still has an X-10 system from that era, works like a champ). Control4 uses borrowed technology.

The bottom line is, If all you want to do is dim a few lights and control the TV, X-10 will get you going for less than $90. If you want the contractor/Control4 company to install a whole house system and for them to control your home control life, pick Control4. And have deep, deep pockets.

Here's an article:
X10 ‘Practically the Same Thing’ as Control4, Only Cheaper - Article from CE Pro

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Um, yeah....no.

X10 is like the 1980's "clapper" but with a 1970's looking remote control.

I'm looking at streaming 1080p video to several rooms from multiple DTV receivers and NAS storage on a CAT6 backbone, along with whole house audio.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
[sarcasm]
thanks for not only berating me, but making sure you'd entrap a contributor by making the first post subject as broad as possible.

[/sarcasm]

lazierfan

Feed Provider
To address your Real question, Control4 will not allow you to install yourself.

They will control your life and your bank account. I do speak from experience.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
If you find the right guy, you can. I found one willing to sell and help install and give the master password for the controller that I would want.

Not cheap, but pretty slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.