• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone 900-Pro

WSAC829

Other than the cool meter w/freq counter (which they should have put in the Ares II / QT40), i wouldn't bother. The Anytone AT500M II / Radioddity CB500 are much smaller and offer the same features and more (10/11 meter capable, 12 watts vs 4 watts, weather band/alert, ctcss/dcs, etc). Unless this radio comes in at under $100 i don't see a reason to be excited about it.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Other than the cool meter w/freq counter (which they should have put in the Ares II / QT40), i wouldn't bother. The Anytone AT500M II / Radioddity CB500 are much smaller and offer the same features and more (10/11 meter capable, 12 watts vs 4 watts, weather band/alert, ctcss/dcs, etc). Unless this radio comes in at under $100 i don't see a reason to be excited about it.

Agreed. But for those that want the same radio they’ve used thirty years . . . .

WSAC829

I guess. However if it comes in at say $130 that person would be better off spending a few dollars more for the Ares II or QT40 for that "classic look and feel" that they've used for the last 30 years.

DeeEx

I don’t know what their target market is.

eBay, truck stops, flea markets, etc. are still loaded with radios of the past with nearly identical features as well as extra bands, for not much cash. The Superstar 121 and Tristar 240 come to mind. Not to mention for a bit more cash the Galaxy 33 and 44 and their Mirage and Virage clones…all easy to find on the used market.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
If it had SSB it would be pretty cool. I can't see myself purchasing any more radios without it. I am a big fan of that meter design with the freq counter. It looks awesome.

If they release an "Ares III" with that meter in it I will be all over it!!

Here’s the right reaction, @DeeEx.

Guaranteed that some market research showed viability.

My feelings are the same as his, but it would be about the look of the MIDLAND ALAN-48.

IMG_5711.jpeg

I was in a CB shop where this had come from the estate of a silent key who’d little used it. A new crystal & alignment and I was pleased as punch to own it.

IMG_4331.jpeg

Both radios look like what I imagine a CB to be.

Sure was proud to get my first CB as a CDL holder in 1998. A side-mic Philippine-made that I had converted to dual finals:

IMG_5910.jpeg

A triple-mag with 5’ GR-45 atop a Jeep Cherokee with this 45W radio rig and I was lightin’ em’ up from Dallas to Chicago in the years my son was at college up there.

IMG_0641.jpeg

That was from a rip-roarin’ fun thread I had going on WWDX after I bought my last non-NRC radio in 2021 where the premise was that a side-mic radio had the electron-flow phased more favorably than front mic.

IMG_1989.jpeg

Yeah, they’ll sell.

Gateway Drug
IMG_5911.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
The classic look has context.
An Image, and a Sound.

Meaning

IMG_5912.jpeg

IMG_5913.jpeg

IMG_1191.jpeg

The dead-serious men who will get Balto the long run all the way out to Manchester before the airways, rail line, road, closes to weather.
.IMG_5914.jpeg

Note the designators:

Speedbird

Zephyr

Impala

TurboSuperCharged V12

Radio clears the way.

(Had @merlin on the fuel truck / start cart).

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Hollywood tries to tell you that CB is cornpone.
The sad sacks try to tell you that radio is passive entertainment.

American boys grew up knowing that whatever the radio service . . you had to earn the right.

At speed
there’s no room for mistakes.

Plough the Road

Citizen Band classic look carries the mail to the far distant corners of our land. And should contention rear its head . . men will identify & coordinate.

Last edited:

WSAC829

Well... it's now available. As i mentioned earlier, the at500m/cb500 offer more features and are $50 cheaper. Or for $10 more the QT40 has SSB and a slew of other features. I can't see this doing well at the $150 price point.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Well... it's now available. As i mentioned earlier, the at500m/cb500 offer more features and are $50 cheaper. Or for $10 more the QT40 has SSB and a slew of other features. I can't see this doing well at the $150 price point.

A KL-203 some already own.
Others who want to add an RFX-95.

Bologna & Mayo.
But only on Wonder Bread!

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
A Mower Junkie review

Hi/Lo power, alpha channels plus conversion to 25-30/MHz capable.

Just became more interesting.

Last edited: