• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone AT-D868

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Only one at a time. Only other radio that works as you describe would be the Kenwood radios. Very expensive, but can do what you are looking for.

The Wouxun page above shows that is does actually receive two at the same time:

Dual Receive
Allows reception of two channels at the same time (V+V, U+U, V+U)

Digital DMR and Analog
Features both DMR digital and analog FM modes on any channel

Color TFT Display
Large 1.77 inch color TFT screen for great Day or Night operation with Dual or Single Channel display

High Power Output
6.0W, 4.0W, 2.5W, 1.0W selectable TX power output.

2 & 5 Tone Paging
Includes built-in 2 Tone and 5 Tone Paging feature

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The Wouxun page above shows that is does actually receive two at the same time:

Dual Receive
Allows reception of two channels at the same time (V+V, U+U, V+U)

I can confirm that the AnyTone D868uv can NOT receive two frequencies simultaneously. Like many of these radios, it appears to support "dual-watch", where it can monitor two frequencies but the first one to show activity will pass audio. The other will not.

-John AC4JK

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Please take note that any true "dual receive" radios will always have two volume controls, meaning that there are two physical receivers on the chassis.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that the AnyTone D868uv can NOT receive two frequencies simultaneously. Like many of these radios, it appears to support "dual-watch", where it can monitor two frequencies but the first one to show activity will pass audio. The other will not.

-John AC4JK

My Baofeng DM-5R has dual-watch, but if one of the frequencies is DMR, dual-watch is disabled. I found that out after I read the manual. You might want to check to see if this radio does the same thing. It was really disappointing.

Take Care,

Rich

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Please take note that any true "dual receive" radios will always have two volume controls, meaning that there are two physical receivers on the chassis.

One volume control is not always an indicator of single receive.

My Icom ID-51 has one volume and one select channel knob. In dual display whichever side is selected (A or B) is the side the single knob(s) effect.

Hopeful to pick up my 868 from Jason at club meeting tonight. More to follow...

Mike

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
My Icom ID-51 has one volume and one select channel knob. In dual display whichever side is selected (A or B) is the side the single knob(s) effect.
That's good to know. Nonetheless, the 'channel select' effectively means two independently controllable volume settings. :wink:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
3) Scan speed - I think I can sit there spinning the channel knob at a comfortable speed faster than the thing scans. That means you miss a LOT of a conversation at times. I am talking 1 second per digital channel and 0.5 second per analog... not sure why digital is longer but it is. My zone of 21 channels takes FOREVER to cycle.

Is it possible that you have the squelch set wide open? I know that this causes this problem on some of my radios.

Last edited by a moderator:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
That's good to know. Nonetheless, the 'channel select' effectively means two independently controllable volume settings. :wink:

Not sure about the wink?

The knobs are arranged one on top of the other. There roles are select and volume. In software which knob is which can be reversed. Select on top and volume on bottom or that can be reversed.

There are two independently controllable volume registers, one for A side and other for B side in the radio innards. Which ever side is selected the predefined knob controls that side's volume. To change the volume of the other side, that side must be selected and the same knob control is used to change the volume.

My original post may not have been clear, but the select knob never allows for changing the volume.

To close in the spirit of the original post.

Got the radio last night and working thru programming. Had to do a little searching to find the USB driver and CPS. I'm going to have to read the programing manual as there is more stuff to work with than the CS750/580 radio I have and name and places have been changed to confuse the user. I found a programing guide, version 7, that looks to be done by a 3rd party.

Contact Manager will have only limited help. It only understands Anytone 858 codeplug and will not open a 868 codeplug and they are both "rdt" files.

868 CPS does have the plus of import and export to csv files. Export from CPS to establish column layout and data format. Arrange data to match and write csv file. Import into CPS. Doing contacts first which I have the csv file created by Contact Manager from pulling the DMR-Marc world wide user data.

More to follow... "If I keep my sanity..."

Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
For the record, new versions of firmware (2.17) and CPS (1.17) for the Anytone D868 have resolved a number of issues - most notably the "backlight birdie" and the channel naming problems.

-John AC4JK

John
I struggled to find CPS1.14 and went to the Anytone download page and link to 868 was dead. Not sure what I would have found otherwise. Found CPS, but nothing newer.

Any pointer on where to find the latest?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Hoping keystroke beep tone can be turned down some. Loud or off with volume control. Nothing in between and loud means wake the dead.

Last edited:

dmaria

John
I struggled to find CPS1.14 and went to the Anytone download page and link to 868 was dead. Not sure what I would have found otherwise. Found CPS, but nothing newer.

Any pointer on where to find the latest?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Hoping keystroke beep tone can be turned down some. Loud or off with volume control. Nothing in between and loud means wake the dead.

Be aware that there are two versions of the main board for theses radios. The newest CPS (1.17) was made to work with the latest firmware. The original radio requires firmware 1.17, and the second version requires firmware 2.17. Depending on where or whom you purchased the radio from, you may not know which version you have.

Connect Systems was nice enough to let us know and paid shipping (both ways) to return the first batch. They also have the newest CPS and firmware on their website, but only for the newest version of the radio.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Be aware that there are two versions of the main board for theses radios. The newest CPS (1.17) was made to work with the latest firmware. The original radio requires firmware 1.17, and the second version requires firmware 2.17. Depending on where or whom you purchased the radio from, you may not know which version you have.

Connect Systems was nice enough to let us know and paid shipping (both ways) to return the first batch. They also have the newest CPS and firmware on their website, but only for the newest version of the radio.

Thanks, I thought I looked at CS but likely was focused on 580 and 750 information last I looked.

Likely have the latest, but will take a closer look on CS.

My 868
FW 2.02
HW 1.10
Radio Data 1.00

Mike

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I thought I looked at CS but likely was focused on 580 and 750 information last I looked.

Likely have the latest, but will take a closer look on CS.

My 868

FW 2.02

HW 1.10

Radio Data 1.00

Mike

CS has the 1.17 firmware and CPS now. So far so good on most issues but the digital monitor feature is not working.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
NAVY...

I've been working with CPS1.14 and GD_VirtualComDriver I found and installed which is connecting PC and radio.

Is the reference to the USP driver in the Firmware update document needed or if I can already exchange data with 1.14 and radio I'm good to go with firmware update.

I need to take a break...

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Username anything to do with Navy. For me 1967 to 1977, 3 ships, east and west coast and some quality time in Viet Nam.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Not sure about the wink?

The knobs are arranged one on top of the other. There roles are select and volume. In software which knob is which can be reversed. Select on top and volume on bottom or that can be reversed.

There are two independently controllable volume registers, one for A side and other for B side in the radio innards. Which ever side is selected the predefined knob controls that side's volume. To change the volume of the other side, that side must be selected and the same knob control is used to change the volume.

My original post may not have been clear, but the select knob never allows for changing the volume.

All that to simply say that the radio has two separately controllable volume levels; one for each receiver. That's what makes it "dual-receive" rather than simply "dual-watch."

hittra

Premium Subscriber
Firmware Update

I just received notice of firmware update 2.18 to the AnyTone AT-D868UV, from Powerwerx,com, the company where I purchased my radio a couple weeks ago. The URL is:

https://powerwerx.com/help/software-downloads

I noticed a bug in the firmware update software where upon running it shows a dialog box with a dropdown box to select a baudrate. The only choice shown was 921600 baud. However, the maximum baud rate achievable with the COM port driver for the USB programming cable was set at 128000 bps. I was able to update the firmware by ignoring this selection and continuing on anyway.

Here's what's reported in the 2.18 update:

WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 2.18?

Added man down alarm delay timer. When the time delay is setup, the radio will alarm when the timer expires if the radio is still not upright. In CPS: Alarm, Man Down.

When Digital Monitor mode is On, all digital communication is received regardless of Talk Group (TG), Color Code (CC) and Time Slot. The radio’s screen will display the Talk Group (TG), Color Code (CC) and Time Slot. In CPS: Public, Optional Setting, Digital Function, Digital Monitor, change setting to On.

Fixed a GPS positioning issue

Added a confirm step to initialize radio

Added short and long key press options in CPS

Added a programmable key option to select the active channel

Added zone information to channel display

Added adjustable maximum volume setting. In CPS: Public, Optional Setting, Alert Tone, Maximum Volume

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I noticed a bug in the firmware update software where upon running it shows a dialog box with a dropdown box to select a baudrate. The only choice shown was 921600 baud.

Ray,

I know its not the usual choice, but I don't think its a bug. The programing manual for v2.17 and v2.18 over on the connectsystems page for this radio has the same number. Without diving into the code I'm not really sure what the number might mean. It could be the programmer's idea of 'auto' select or find the correct baud from the other end of the cable.

Like you the update worked for me.

I did find the program does not remember the com port number. Small nuisance, but easy to select. Also I'm not finding the permit tone for accessing the repeater like on the CS750. I've not turned all the different alarms on yet so maybe it has a different name.

Detailed contact list is nice. Data from DMR-marc needs work before it can be imported.

Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I overlooked commenting in my last post about installing the CPS.

Take note of the drive letter it wants to use. On my system it was 'D' which is a recovery partition on the main drive. I didn't notice when installing 1.17. There was room for it and program ran OK. Deleted using control panel and selected 'C' for second attempt. 1.18 did the same so I changed before it was too late.

Likely no harm leaving on 'D', but figured it should be on 'C' like the rest of the 'stuff'.

Mike

njctech

Here's my list of observations and requests. Is this a good place to give feedback or should I also post on FB?

I am running firmware v2.18 on hardware v1.10, radio data v1.00

1) I hear a buzzing noise in the background when receiving digital channels (I haven't tested yet on analog). This happens even when backlight is off. MD380 side-by-side does not have this noise.

2) It would be nice to have a "Last Heard" line like the TyToolz/MD380 can do.

3) A ultra-low power mod for hotspot usage (again, MD380 can do this)

4) Scan on one "band" while focused on another. If I have my local PD/FD on the bottom and switch focus to the top, the scanning stops.

5) Is there a way to ad-hoc a TG? I see a private call but what about manually entering in a Group Call?

6) The first level of volume above mute is pretty loud.

-Nick W1NJC

dmaria

Here's my list of observations and requests. Is this a good place to give feedback or should I also post on FB?

I am running firmware v2.18 on hardware v1.10, radio data v1.00

1) I hear a buzzing noise in the background when receiving digital channels (I haven't tested yet on analog). This happens even when backlight is off. MD380 side-by-side does not have this noise.

2) It would be nice to have a "Last Heard" line like the TyToolz/MD380 can do.

3) A ultra-low power mod for hotspot usage (again, MD380 can do this)

4) Scan on one "band" while focused on another. If I have my local PD/FD on the bottom and switch focus to the top, the scanning stops.

5) Is there a way to ad-hoc a TG? I see a private call but what about manually entering in a Group Call?

6) The first level of volume above mute is pretty loud.

-Nick W1NJC

Since I updated the firmware to 2.18, it no longer works with my Openspot. I will get a very brief moment of audio, and the callsign info will pop up, but then it go back to the main screen. This will repeat itself about every 2 seconds if the transmission continues. The green receive light flashes on and off as if the radio keeps dropping the signal.

I have 2 scanners , An AOR DV-1 and a Hytera PD362 all receiving the Openspot just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.