Aor ar dv1 squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogers8472

Hi all

Can someone please explain to me the difference between level squelch and noise squelch in the simplest non complicated way

On my aor dv1 some channels work well with noise squelch where as some are better with level squelch however I would like a happy medium so I don't have to keep changing the squelch type

I use the radio on my boat for monitoring marine traffic and coastguard notifications and for receiving dcs code

Cgerrs

deiraq

Re: Aor ar dv1 squelch

Hi

Not an answer to your question I'm afraid but just to say that I too would like a simple explanation of the difference between the two types of squelch.

I find in general terms that the squelch levels on my AR DV1 have to be set at a much higher level than on my old Radio Shack scanner for receiving the same identical transmission (especially on AM civil airband). The 'squelch tails' before and after reception of an airband transmission can be quite annoying (-:

Hopefully someone with more technical know-how than me can help us about the two types of squelch.

Cheers

Peter

MStep

No Solid Answers

Hi all

Can someone please explain to me the difference between level squelch and noise squelch in the simplest non complicated way

On my aor dv1 some channels work well with noise squelch where as some are better with level squelch however I would like a happy medium so I don't have to keep changing the squelch type

I use the radio on my boat for monitoring marine traffic and coastguard notifications and for receiving dcs code
Cgerrs

Unfortunately there are some subtle settings in the DV1 which one has to experiment with ---- many are not clearly explained in the Owner's Manual. The best advice I can offer is to try each setting regarding "noise" and "level" squelches and see which works best for each particular frequency you are monitoring.

This also does not encompass the "Voice Squelch" settings, which apparently are in a "different league" so to speak. Keep in mind that many of the features and functions of the DV1 were designed for very specific frequency surveillance option, especially when used in conjunction with several software packages that were designed around the DV1. Sometimes these programs help you better explore that radios lesser known features.

I have both the Butel "Pro" package, and a program called "eSPYonARD", which is also available in the PRO package. While I tend to use both packages on occasion, the "eSPYonARD" is what I run most of the time for professional frequency surveillance activity.

Neither package will help determine the "best" squelch mode for your own particular use, but either package will help acquaint you with some of the lesser known features of the radio. Make sure that with either program, you purchase the "PRO" package

Folks here on the forum are also always available to help, although the radio is used more by military and governmental operations, and less by consumers, except for a select handful of individual who can appreciate many of the "nuanced" features which are available.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Different Squelch Types

I will try to answer your questions:-

1. LEVEL SQUELCH is the easiest to explain. It is like a switch setting governed solely by the 'S' meter (signal strength) signal. You set the position, any signal below that the receiver volume is muted. Any signal above it and the audio is sent to the speaker.

2. NOISE SQUELCH is very similar, except the switching is governed be the strength of the audio signal, not the signal strength. The main advantage is in say AM Broadcast monitoring, when you might get a lowish signal strength signal (below your LEVEL SQUELCH threshold), but with quite a lot of volume.

3. VOICE SQUELCH never seems to work very well, not just on the AR-DV1. In theory it analyses the audio, and only sends sound to the speaker IF the frequencies of the audio match voice frequencies.
The problems there are fairly obvious, and because other sounds can sometimes (often) include voice type frequencies it is not very useful.
It only tends to come into its own if, for example you are listening to a frequency which sends out bursts of data, and sometimes a voice. It can work 100% then, but it still depends on the audio frequencies of the data bursts.

As MStep says, you just have to figure out which type of Squelch best serves your needs for individual frequencies.

I know eSPYonARD lets you change the Squelch settings in real time. I cannot comment about other software.

The AR-DV1 also allows you to select auto-squelch, for Level and Noise. Again eSPYonARD lets you do this in real-time as above, but personally I have never experimented with it. After clicking the Squelch type you want, you click the Auto button. The program's display is almost identical to that of the receiver, so what you see on the AR-DV1, you see in the same place on the program's screen.

I know the eSPYonARD 'Try Before You Buy' version has no limitations regarding Squelch selection.

On VHF/UHF usually I find Level Squelch is best. For the lower Bands I have to decide by experimentation.

Cheers

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Just Thanks

After a good few hours wrestling the manual, your explanation is so much more informative.
With your explanation I grasp what the different settings actually mean. This should better the overall performance. Thank you!!

Thanks, I do my best, or try to, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.