• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Applying for FCC VHF simplex part 90 frequency

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
here he can be seen sending TMS (text messaging) and he uses channels Red 2 and ive seen in another video he had green 1 and green 2 and blue 1 and blue 2?

Oh and as for X311 Spartan, his website doesn't work and his IG account can no longer be found, based on the links in his YouTube video, so I wouldn't put much stock in his vids.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi there,

I'm interested in getting a Part 90 radio license for a VHF radio frequency for my home radios. I want to start with simplex communication and then eventually get a Quantar repeater that my friends and I can use. I'm a little confused about the application process for a FCC license. What's the best way to apply? And what section/pool should I apply under?

Thanks for your help!

You would want to apply under the Industrial/business pool. You would not be eligible for public safety.

The eligibility rules are here:

§ 90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.​

(a) Eligibility. Persons primarily engaged in any of the following activities are eligible to hold authorizations in the Industrial/Business Pool to provide commercial mobile radio service as defined in part 20 of this chapter or to operate stations for transmission of communications necessary to such activities of the licensee:
(1) The operation of a commercial activity;
(2) The operation of educational, philanthropic, or ecclesiastical institutions;
(3) Clergy activities; or
(4) The operation of hospitals, clinics, or medical associations.

You ~may~ qualify under 90.35(a)1. But you'd have to show a business need. If you are on a farm, that would be a business justification. Or, you could start your own "radio shop" or communications business. Either way, you'd want something to back that up, not just claim it.

You'd have two options:
Itinerant frequencies, which are not assignable to any fixed location. They are shared, and must be shared. You could license for a local area, statewide, etc. But remember, it is shared, so there is no protection from interference.
Coordinated frequencies, which are assignable to a fixed location. They are likely to be more quiet, less users as they assign frequencies in a way to reduce interference.

The Coordinated Frequencies MUST be done through a frequency coordinator. If you apply for those frequencies without a coordinator signing off, your application will be rejected. Hire a frequency coordinator. Have your business plan and documentation. Tell the frequency coordinator what you want to do with the radios. You might get some pushback.
If that goes through, you can get a frequency pair that will allow you to run a repeater or simplex. You can run digital, you can run encryption. But try not to use it as a hobby radio service, as that will not go over well with the FCC.

Frequency coordination isn't cheap. The FCC license will cost money. A frequency coordinator will help you with everything and submit the paperwork. It is the way to go.

Itinerant licensing is an option, and you don't need frequency coordination, but you do need to fill out the paperwork. Not easy unless you've done it a few times before, so prepare for frustration.

AES-256-Encryption

Was: Jakeeeeeeee737372
Oh and as for X311 Spartan, his website doesn't work and his IG account can no longer be found, based on the links in his YouTube video, so I wouldn't put much stock in his vids.
can i use XTS5000 on murs? that was my entire goal for a part 90 license is the use of Motorola's, there used for SHTF and sit in the closet.

AES-256-Encryption

You would want to apply under the Industrial/business pool. You would not be eligible for public safety.

The eligibility rules are here:

§ 90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.​

(a) Eligibility. Persons primarily engaged in any of the following activities are eligible to hold authorizations in the Industrial/Business Pool to provide commercial mobile radio service as defined in part 20 of this chapter or to operate stations for transmission of communications necessary to such activities of the licensee:
(1) The operation of a commercial activity;
(2) The operation of educational, philanthropic, or ecclesiastical institutions;
(3) Clergy activities; or
(4) The operation of hospitals, clinics, or medical associations.

You ~may~ qualify under 90.35(a)1. But you'd have to show a business need. If you are on a farm, that would be a business justification. Or, you could start your own "radio shop" or communications business. Either way, you'd want something to back that up, not just claim it.

You'd have two options:
Itinerant frequencies, which are not assignable to any fixed location. They are shared, and must be shared. You could license for a local area, statewide, etc. But remember, it is shared, so there is no protection from interference.
Coordinated frequencies, which are assignable to a fixed location. They are likely to be more quiet, less users as they assign frequencies in a way to reduce interference.

The Coordinated Frequencies MUST be done through a frequency coordinator. If you apply for those frequencies without a coordinator signing off, your application will be rejected. Hire a frequency coordinator. Have your business plan and documentation. Tell the frequency coordinator what you want to do with the radios. You might get some pushback.
If that goes through, you can get a frequency pair that will allow you to run a repeater or simplex. You can run digital, you can run encryption. But try not to use it as a hobby radio service, as that will not go over well with the FCC.

Frequency coordination isn't cheap. The FCC license will cost money. A frequency coordinator will help you with everything and submit the paperwork. It is the way to go.

Itinerant licensing is an option, and you don't need frequency coordination, but you do need to fill out the paperwork. Not easy unless you've done it a few times before, so prepare for frustration.
i own a two way radio business, i do repairs more or less than filing licenses

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
can i use XTS5000 on murs? that was my entire goal for a part 90 license is the use of Motorola's, there used for SHTF and sit in the closet.

No, you cannot use an XTS5000 on MURS legally.

Don't go into this with the SHTF mentality. That's not going to get you far with the frequency coordinators. If you want SHTF, get amateur radios.

AES-256-Encryption

For what purpose? Who do you intend to talk to? If you can't answer that then nobody will be able to help you more than we already have.
i have a group of friends and we built a SHTF plan and we wanted to use these for if **** were to hit the fan we could use these radios, but we wanted to get a repeater setup, Quantar and use that

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Right.
Then you should know exactly how to do all this.

Seriously. If you want to run a radio service for your friends, and you don't want to do GMRS or ham, then be straightforward with the frequency coordinator and tell the truth. Leave out the SHTF/Prepper crap and tell them that you want to start a two way radio business. There are licenses for this that will allow you to run repeaters and sell time on the system.

But, understand, it is NOT cheap to set up a repeater. It is not cheap to run decent radio systems. And SHTF or not, the FCC rules do apply and you need to abide by them. That's not hard to do, but do not go into this with the idea that you are going to skip the processes to do this right.

Find a frequency coordinator and get your business plan together.

AES-256-Encryption

Seriously. If you want to run a radio service for your friends, and you don't want to do GMRS or ham, then be straightforward with the frequency coordinator and tell the truth. Leave out the SHTF/Prepper crap and tell them that you want to start a two way radio business. There are licenses for this that will allow you to run repeaters and sell time on the system.

But, understand, it is NOT cheap to set up a repeater. It is not cheap to run decent radio systems. And SHTF or not, the FCC rules do apply and you need to abide by them. That's not hard to do, but do not go into this with the idea that you are going to skip the processes to do this right.

i completely understand, Im going to wait until i buy the equipment to get a frequency sorted out.

AES-256-Encryption

And you need to ask all these questions about licensing? Definitely not a two way radio business I'd want to deal with since you'd probably give bad (and not legal) advice to customers.
if you read above, i said that i do mainly repairs and not any testing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
i completely understand, Im going to wait until i buy the equipment to get a frequency sorted out.

NO. Wrong order, do NOT do it that way.

Your first step is to come up with your business plan. Then go to the frequency coordinator.

DO. NOT. EVER. BUY. THE. RADIOS. FIRST. EVER.
The frequency coordination will assign you to a band/frequency, and you need to have that done before you start buying radios. I've seen too many hobbyists try to buy the radios first and then coordinate, only to find out that have the wrong radios.

Don't waste your money. Wait until you have the license before buying radios.

AES-256-Encryption

oh i see so i can sell licenses for like $50 a year kinda thing