Appreciate some insight upgrading from a BR330t to a BCD325P2

Sweet330

Premium Subscriber
Ahoy~
I'm reaching out to get a little advice. I currently use a BCT330t scanner to monitor my area in Middlesex County in MA and Hillsborough County in NH (live on the MA/NH state line). I've done some digging in RR to see just what my area runs, but I honestly don't know if I'm grasping it all/missing anything.

Currently I can hear the FD, PD, EMS, Trunked State Police, Mil Air, etc pretty much without issue. But I've got the bug to pick up a new radio. The BCD325P2. When I did a check on Bearcat Warehouse they came up with -

"We highly recommend buying a Uniden Digital Phase 2 Police Scanner if you live in Massachusetts as all communications are migrating to this format if it has not already done so. Digital phase 2 is already used for most communication in Massachusetts including:
Federal Agencies (ATF, Coast Guard, etc.)
Massachusetts State Police & State Agencies (Military, Emergency Medical Resource Ctr., etc.)
Local County Police, Fire, EMSAviation (Civilian & Military), Rail, Amateur Radio,
Local Businesses "

Not sure if I really need it or if I'm good with what I have with the 330. I don't know if "I'm missing out on anything" frequency wise or simply have the 'ol FOMO thing. Would it be worth upgrading to start grabbing some freq's that I'm currently not scanning? I do have a board interest in it all.

Honestly I'm just not sure what to do and don't wish to throw money away needlessly. (Maybe I could go a different route with upgrades to the 330, antenna's and such)
Appreciate anyone's insight they might have on this.

M.

BinaryMode

If you look here anything that is NXDN, DMR or P25 (Project 25) is what you can't hear now on your BCT330T. The most pertinent of those trunked systems you may be interested in is the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS). This is P25 phase II.

From the system notes:

Massachusetts State Police operate two radio systems, an analog trunked system, heard east of the Connecticut River, and Mount Greylock, and a newly implemented digital system, which is slowly growing to cover the entire commonwealth.

Cities like Cambridge, Worcester, Boston, and special systems such as MassPort can only be heard on their respective closest systems

In the tables for mode if you see a DE or a TE it means that talkgroup is using encryption. If there's a lowercase e like De or a Te it means sometimes there's the use of encryption. Which could be mostly encryption but not all the time or mostly in the clear but not all the time. LOL Make sense?

For Hillsborough County, again you want to see the trunked systems here and if you see DMR, NXDN or P25 it's digital and your current scanner can't pick that up.

Do note that with the BCD325P2 the DMR and NXDN and Provoice modes are a paid upgrade. Since there doesn't seem to be any Provoice in your area of interest it would of course not need to be added to the scanner. Though, if you're not interested in anything using DMR or NXDN then you need not upgrade.

To upgrade, create an account at the Uniden website and then you'd add the serial number of the scanner (and ESN I believe, been awhile) and the website will give you another number to enter in the scanner to unlock the mode. Again, if you have no interest in anything using DMR or NXDN you don't need it. The BCD325P2 already does phase 1 and 2 P25 out of the box.

As to wheather these areas that are now analog are migrating to digital in the future I don't know.

radioopperator

Feed Provider

BCD325P2​

I Have one and personally hate the thing!!! Personally would not recommend to my worst enemy. Trunking seems to work but conventional sucks. I sent to Uniden they say its fine. You dial up a conventional freq and it hears crap about fifty freqs on either side no selectivity in mine.

a727469

Premium Subscriber

BCD325P2​

I Have one and personally hate the thing!!! Personally would not recommend to my worst enemy. Trunking seems to work but conventional sucks. I sent to Uniden they say its fine. You dial up a conventional freq and it hears crap about fifty freqs on either side no selectivity in mine.
I think you might have a few people with other opinions. While far from a perfect radio(2 batteries etc). , it is relatively easy to use, decent analog, great size, etc. I think a good upgrade replacement for the 330. Obviously location and specific frequencies have much to do with selectivity. I would suggest the OP get one and try it since most sellers offer a return window.

tvengr

Well Known Member
it is relatively easy to use, decent analog, great size, etc. I think a good upgrade replacement for the 330. Obviously location and specific frequencies have much to do with selectivity. I would suggest the OP get one and try it since most sellers offer a return window.
I like my BCD325P2! It works very well. You may have problems receiving systems with simulcast sites where all scanners can have issues except for the SDS100 and SDS200. It all depends upon your location in relation to the towers. That is another good reason to know your city.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I like my BCD325P2! It works very well. You may have problems receiving systems with simulcast sites where all scanners can have issues except for the SDS100 and SDS200. It all depends upon your location in relation to the towers. That is another good reason to know your city.
Yes, I forgot simulcast..thanks!

Sweet330

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the reply's. Thank you. Most the municipalities near me are pretty much still on conventional channels. @BinaryMode the tables helped give me some insight, thanks.

bearcatrp

You won't go wrong getting the 325P2. I bought it for the DMR stuff but does fairly well on P25. It will have some issues in simulcast areas. Good size for a vehicle scanner, which mine is. Do get a better antenna for it though.

Sweet330

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bear~ Yeah, I really am leaning that way right now. Did some better digging and there's a chance (so you're sayin' there's a chance ;) ) I could pick up some P25 near me. And I am definitely curious as to what I could potentially grab on DMR.
Appreciate the reply.

bearcatrp

Put up a discone for home use. Make sure it’s above your roof. You will be surprised how well it picks up. I get DMR frequencies for a town 20 miles away. There is a used one for sale in the for sale section here.

Sweet330

Premium Subscriber
Yes!! I currently use one, got it when the VID hit and was stuck working from home for a spell ;)
(So the 325 is currently in my shopping cart, I'm now just trying to justify it in my head so I don't get that ol' buyer remorse/regret)

tvengr

Well Known Member
*Sigh* Pushed. Stupid peer pressure ;) (One day delivery too)
Congratulations! Please let us know if you need any help with programming. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. The manuals are a little lacking with that info.

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 8

Sweet330

Premium Subscriber
Sweet! Thank you! Yeah, checking out the ARC XT software now. Currently use Bct for the 330 and BCD15x which I absolutely love and ARC "appears" pretty similar to it. I currently do often record though so if I wish to continue to do that, cost is a little higher, plus the cost to upgrade the radio to DMR... Now I'm meowing ;) Baby steps. (patience grasshopper) I'll get fully up eventually and just enjoy the process on the way.Thanks again for the PDF!

bearcatrp

When you get it, take some time to go through the menus. All of them. Uniden did a good job so its almost not needed to program, almost. Go into edit the default search to see the frequencies it covers. Have programmed only 1 custom. Otherwise it covers what I need.

Sweet330

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a plan. I'm "assuming" the menu system will be pretty similar to the 330, which is good.

bearcatrp

Don't know anything about the 330 so don't know. I picked up a new 160. Uniden went further on the menu and made it nearly not needed to program. Wish they would do it to the 325P2. You will see what I am talking about when you see each service search frequencies.