APRS in Calgary & area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve6meo

VE6MEO APRS Update

I got the email from Jay911. I have just moved to a new QTH and still have a bunch of unpacking to do. Hopefully once that is all done I will be able to get VE6MEO-1 back on the air. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I will try to post updates on my blog (ve6meo.ca) or on twitter (@ve6meo).

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Can you PM me with an email address? I tried to PM you but your account says your PM's are full. Jay, and a bunch of us that are not on this board are trying to optimize digi coverage in the Calgary area

Last edited:

avgas

Quote "Towards Medicine Hat you have VE6NND at the Hat itself, VE6CWS is a gate there, and that's pretty much it."

Jay,
There are 3 digi's in the Medicine Hat area. One is located at Bowell, 1/2 way between Medicine Hat and Suffield. The second digi is located out at Elkwater and the third is located south of Medicine Hat. The igate is not running right now but we have plans on getting it on line soon.
Avgas

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Well we are finally starting to sort out APRS in Calgary, as it turn out there were a few issues, first RYC had issues, these are being sorted out, second, too many didpeaters with near identical coverage. This is also getting sorted out. With a bit of cooperation we should be able to get proper network performance in the local Calgary area.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
One thing I would add to the above is - if you know (or are) someone who runs a digipeater in Calgary, please consider shutting it down at least temporarily so we can assess the performance of the "primary" digis like CALGRY (VE6RYC). There are a couple of digipeaters in the Calgary area which appear to be misconfigured or are just plain throwing bad data out into the airwaves; a big problem that we've discovered is that there are so many digis transmitting all at once in the Calgary area that they're stomping all over one another and nothing is getting through.

If you are running a digi and not getting the mass e-mail between kayn1n32008, myself, and a bunch of others in the north who are trying to sort things out, email me at jay911@gmail.com and I'll make sure you get involved.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Jay911 said:
One thing I would add to the above is - if you know (or are) someone who runs a digipeater in Calgary, please consider shutting it down at least temporarily so we can assess the performance of the "primary" digis like CALGRY (VE6RYC). There are a couple of digipeaters in the Calgary area which appear to be misconfigured or are just plain throwing bad data out into the airwaves; a big problem that we've discovered is that there are so many digis transmitting all at once in the Calgary area that they're stomping all over one another and nothing is getting through.

If you are running a digi and not getting the mass e-mail between kayn1n32008, myself, and a bunch of others in the north who are trying to sort things out, email me at jay911@gmail.com and I'll make sure you get involved.

I will add to what Jay911 just said.

In order to have the network work at its best, we CAN NOT have a large amount of digipeaters in the same location that have similar/near identical coverage.

We need to all work together in a cooperative fashion. If any one on this list knows of a hole or an area that does not have coverage in Southern Alberta PLEASE make mention here in this thread, or PM Jay911 or myself. We will bring you into our off list discussions. Another member here has access to tower sites. Throughout the province and we are willing to help out. We have some gear of our own, but are more than willing to install others peoples gear as time/schedule/personal commitments allow. We do this to make the Alberta APRS network the best in north america. We do this simply for the benifit of ALL hams regardless of club affiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.