• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 6000 - Won't get a GPS lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased new in the box (New old stock) APX 6000 UHF that works find EXCEPT it won't get a GPS lock.

I have several other APX 6000s that have no issue getting a lock and I've tried -

- different antennas
- sitting out in the middle of a field for over an hour
- hooked it to my GPS antenna distribution feed here in the shack that is hooked to a GPS timing antenna with a full sky view for 48 hrs.

With the other APX6000's hooked to the antenna and they got a lock in a 10-20 seconds no problem. However this one even left hooked up for several days still has the GPS icon flashing.

I've also upgraded the firmware to the latest as per the suggestion of the service manual. Have any of yall seen this before and have any ideas ?

FOG

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
Is the GPS function enabled in the radio's Flashcode?
It has everything enabled but the kitchen sink.

Flash : #&40N%-71uEFD-0

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
G996: Over the Air Provisioning
H43: Trunked Remote Monitor/Radio Trace
QA04447: Geofence
Q52: Federal Government FPP
H869: Hardware Multikey Encryption
Q498: Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
QA01767: ASTRO 25 Trunking Radio Authentication
QA09000: Tone Signalling
QA00571: Primary Band: UHF Range 1
QA00583: Enable Bluetooth Operation
QA01749: Legacy SW System Key Enable
QA01768: Enhanced Zone Bank Operation for APX
QA01771: Enhancement Level 2
QA01843: Man Down Operation
H37: SmartNet Systems Operation
H38: SmartZone Systems Operation
H46: Trunked One Touch Status Message
QA09008: Group Services
QA00631: DVRS PSU Activation
QA01833: Extreme 1-Sided Noise Reduction
H04: Conventional Tactical Rekey
QA00782: Enable GPS/GNSS Operation
Q947: APCO Packet Data Interface
QA02811: APX 3600/9600 Single System
QA03399: Enhanced Data Operation
QA09012: Mission Critical Geofencing
Q387: Conventional Voting Scan
Q173: SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
QA00982: Site Selectable Alert
QA00580: Enable TDMA Operation
H02: Encrypted Tactical Inhibit
QA03176: Basic Collaboration Software (APX/LEX700 Phase 1)
Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Q445: Fireground Accountability Software
G857: FDNY Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set
QA03768: P25 Common Air Interface

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is the GPS function enabled in the radio's Flashcode?
If the radio didn't have QA00782 in the flash, he wouldn't have been able to configure any of the Location/GPS parameters, they would be hidden in CPS.

Anyway, probably a bad expansion board. Does the Bluetooth work? What does CPS show for the Option/Expansion Board when you read the radio?

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
Its new in the box (NOS) and has the clam shell with the factory label. It has tags on it and everything looks new as claimed and it doesn't show any sign of steamy late night rendezvous with the "depot". It just doesn't seem like the type of radio that would associate with such questionable software.

The expansion board is -

Full feature
OB01
FW: R10.00.21

FOG

a417

It has everything enabled but the kitchen sink.

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
G996: Over the Air Provisioning
H43: Trunked Remote Monitor/Radio Trace
QA04447: Geofence
Q52: Federal Government FPP
H869: Hardware Multikey Encryption
Q498: Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
QA01767: ASTRO 25 Trunking Radio Authentication
QA09000: Tone Signalling
QA00571: Primary Band: UHF Range 1
QA00583: Enable Bluetooth Operation
QA01749: Legacy SW System Key Enable
QA01768: Enhanced Zone Bank Operation for APX
QA01771: Enhancement Level 2
QA01843: Man Down Operation
H37: SmartNet Systems Operation
H38: SmartZone Systems Operation
H46: Trunked One Touch Status Message
QA09008: Group Services
QA00631: DVRS PSU Activation
QA01833: Extreme 1-Sided Noise Reduction
H04: Conventional Tactical Rekey
QA00782: Enable GPS/GNSS Operation
Q947: APCO Packet Data Interface
QA02811: APX 3600/9600 Single System
QA03399: Enhanced Data Operation
QA09012: Mission Critical Geofencing
Q387: Conventional Voting Scan
Q173: SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
QA00982: Site Selectable Alert
QA00580: Enable TDMA Operation
H02: Encrypted Tactical Inhibit
QA03176: Basic Collaboration Software (APX/LEX700 Phase 1)
Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Q445: Fireground Accountability Software
G857: FDNY Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set
QA03768: P25 Common Air Interface
Nick would approve of that flashcode.

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
So the decal on the clamshell, & the radio tag show this flash code? Nick still around?

Not sure who Nick is you are talking of.

I've seen a radio before that's been "depoted" and you see it in the CPS under original programed information. This one just says

Born on 2/14/2014
Code plug version R20.00.01
Source CPS

It looks like a legitimate radio,,,,that said I'm sure there is ways around all of it but it seems ok. I also threw it on the the HP 8920 and its all right on the money and the RX is great.

The GPS isn't a huge thing,, it's just my curiosity and OCD.

FOG

N4KVE

Not sure who Nick is you are talking of.

I've seen a radio before that's been "depoted" and you see it in the CPS under original programed information. This one just says

Born on 2/14/2014
Code plug version R20.00.01
Source CPS
FOG
People smarter than me have figured out a way to show that even though Depot was used. CPS 20.00.01 didn’t exist yet on 2/14/2014.

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
People smarter than me have figured out a way to show that even though Depot was used. CPS 20.00.01 didn’t exist yet on 2/14/2014.

Well if that's true (not saying it isn't) then it probably has been to yet olde depot. But since Mamma Motorola won't service APX 6000AN's anymore, I guess its not really a issue one way or the other.

What's funny is I really don't have a need for all that extra stuff. I just wanted the FPP, the 2 tone signaling, and the AES256 (not for ham use so lets not go down that rabbit hole LOL) Everything else is for the trunking systems

FOG

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
:unsure:

:unsure:

Depot is a place, and a 'thing'.

What I said first was that I very well may had been "depoted" with the software we don't speak about :D
That's what I was trying to say, being that the born on date and the the software version didn't line up, I am saying that well if that firmware wasn't out yet ( I don't know if it was or wasn't) then it very well could have been "Depoted"

I understand that, I am being funny saying "take it to the depot". What I mean was they take it in the back room and use the depot software.
Kinda like in Yellow stone they take someone to the "train station" :cool:

a417

(y)

When some of us see whored out flashcodes and uselessly incompatible featuresets forced into a radio, combined with impossible dates, we know what it means.

N5FOG

Premium Subscriber
(y)

When some of us see whored out flashcodes and uselessly incompatible featuresets forced into a radio, combined with impossible dates, we know what it means.

"whored out" ? Is that really necessary? Not all of us are wise to the all might flash code which is why we ask the questions we do. But the attitude isn't needed or welcome.

Instead of talking that way just to stroke your own ego, why not add something positive to the conversation like explaining which features are not compatible with others and why so others can use that to know what to look for.

FOG

a417

"whored out" ? Is that really necessary? Not all of us are wise to the all might flash code which is why we ask the questions we do. But the attitude isn't needed or welcome.

Instead of talking that way just to stroke your own ego, why not add something positive to the conversation like explaining which features are not compatible with others and why so others can use that to know what to look for.

FOG
A "whored out" flashcode has everything, usually things that are functionally impossible to implement. I am not sure how, or why, you feel this is some kind of personal attack towards you...but this phrase has been used in moto circles by techs for nearly two decades. Hammy folk using "FDNY emergency TX/RX" with "Smartzone Omnilink MultiZone" and "Fireground accountability" stuff is a pretty big clue.

"I d0nT kn0w wAT thyS iz BuT mY aPX hAZ tEw HaVE iT!"

My goodness. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.