• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX NAS: I'm at my Wits' End

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Background: I have programmed many XTS2500/5K radios for NAS successfully, following all the necessary guides and triple and quadruple checking everything before programming, and have never had one try to affiliate with any system I have programmed for NAS. However, I recently purchased an APX6000, the first APX I have ever tried to program for NAS. I first converted my "main" codeplug from my XTS5000 to XML and imported it to APX CPS, then after making small adjustments to ensure the codeplug matched by XTS5K exactly, I threw it in the APX. Immediately, I noticed issues:
  1. The radio tried to affiliate with TX Inhibit disabled
  2. Even with TXIN enabled so the radio didn't try to affiliate, the APX was either missing traffic that the XTS was receiving or it was landing on the busy TG up to 10 seconds after the XTS did
Of course, I stopped trying to listen, hooked the APX to a dummy load, and went back to the software to see what I had done wrong. I have spent hours in the software looking for any stray checkboxes left checked/unchecked. I have Motorola Prop Features, Validate NAC against System ID, and POP25 unchecked. TG/AG is Disabled. All the scan lists are Multi-system Talkgroup or Intelligent Priority. Any and all talkgroups are programmed for channels 17 and up. I then took a blank codeplug and programmed the simplest NAS setup I could, just 1 channel with a scan list containing 8 TG's, and followed the relevant guides EXACTLY, and after programming the radio (leaving it on the dummy load just in case), the APX STILL tried to affiliate. I am willing to send my codeplug (either the simplified one or my "main" one) to anybody that can check my work to see where I screwed up. The person I bought this radio from said that it had been tuned within the last month with an AeroFlex, so if that's true, my guess is it's not a tuning issue, but rather a programming issue? Any and all help is much appreciated.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
What is your system coverage type set to? How far are you from the site you're trying to receive as programmed and do you have other controls channels in the list as other Sites/RFSS? When a radio in NAS attempts to affiliate, its usually a couple of things that the radio sees as not congruent as programmed and attempts to "resolve" the issues by communicating with the system. There also might be a data feature enabled on the APX that, isn't/doesn't exist, enabled in the XTS.

Last edited:

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Maybe get a Harris?
Probably will if I can't get this one figured out, or maybe a Bendix King.

What is your system coverage type set to? How far are you from the site you're trying to receive as programmed and do you have other controls channels in the list as other Sites/RFSS? When a radio in NAS attempts to affiliate, its usually a couple of things that the radio sees as not congruent as programmed and attempts to "resolve" the issues by communicating with the system. There also might be a data feature enabled on the APX that, isn't/doesn't exist, enabled in the XTS.
System coverage is set to "disabled." I am trying to monitor a simulcast site on a Phase II system (PII-capable, no TDMA talkgroups though).

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

System coverage is set to "disabled." I am trying to monitor a simulcast site on a Phase II system (PII-capable, no TDMA talkgroups though).
Set the RFSS and site number appropriately in the codeplug and see how it acts. RFSS 1, Site 1 is probably wrong.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!

Yup, exactly what I thought. "Disabled". Sent you a message.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Set the RFSS and site number appropriately in the codeplug and see how it acts. RFSS 1, Site 1 is probably wrong.
Just changed it, looks like this may have fixed my issue, it also seems to be landing on active TG's much quicker now. Thanks for the help

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Looking at the OPs codeplug in question, it's set to Disabled and that's exactly whats going on.

OP: You need to set the correct Site ID/RFSS ID for the individual site you have programmed if the coverage type is set to Disabled or else this is what happens. You also have data profiles enabled that should be disabled for NAS

sheintz

I’m having the same issue I have a xg-100p I programmed no issues my apx-8000 it will not pick up the trunking if someone could help me I’ll send you the code plug

Asunakiyori

Lurker
I’m having the same issue I have a xg-100p I programmed no issues my apx-8000 it will not pick up the trunking if someone could help me I’ll send you the code plug
I'm not gonna pretend to be a master fixing NAS but I'd be willing to take a peek at an APX 8 CP. what CPS was it last programmed with? R32?