• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Programming Question - Home Revert

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone familiar with a setting to allow for the radio to revert back to the home channel (zone depending on the channel selector knob) upon turning the radio off/on?

RKG

The zone and channel currently selected is known as Zone/Chan State, and the radio stores Zone/Chan State whenever it changes. By default, the radio will power up in the recorded last Zone/Chan State (i.e., the zone and channel that was selected at power down).

Offhand, I'm not aware of a parameter with APX that could be set to have the radio power up in Home Channel, versus powering up in the Zone/Chan State channel. However, there is a trick that works with the XTS family that may work in APX. (I haven't had an occasion to test it with APX yet.)

Usually, one programs an XTS to change Zone by programming one soft key for "Zone Up" and the adjacent on for "Zone Dn." And usually, the CPS rejects attempts to program the same function for more than one of a soft key, menu item or button or switch. However, if you program the A-B-C switch for "Zone," the CPS (and ROS) will permit this to co-exist with the ZoneUp and ZoneDn softkeys. So programmed, Position A puts the radio in Zone 1; Position B, Zone 2; and Position C, Zone 3. Moreover, regardless of the position of the A-B-C switch, you can then switch to a different zone using the softkeys.

However, on power up, the radio will revert to whichever zone is indicated by the position of the A-B-C switch.

One of my working radios has three working Zones, depending on my location. The first couple of channels are the same in all three zones, so looking at the display may not make clear what zone I'm in. However, I leave the A-B-C switch in Position A, and if I change to a different zone (using the soft keys) and then forget to put it back in Zone 1 when I power down, the radio will still power on in Zone 1.

This would not give you a power up Home Channel revert, but it would give you a power up "home zone" revert.

So far as I am aware, using the feature this way is undocumented in the Help files.

Here is a second trick that, while not exactly what you want, may be helpful. There is a feature (I can't recall the name from memory, and the programming computers are not handy at the moment) that enables the "1", "2" and "3" numeric keys to serve as "Radio Buttons" if no other feature is watching the keypad (i.e., you're not in "Page", "Call" or "Phone" mode). Once enabled, each of those keys works like the re-settable buttons we used to have in car radios (if you're old enough to remember). Select a zone and channel. Now a long press of one of the "Radio Buttons" will store that Zone/Chan State in memory, and, if the radio is selected elsewhere, a short press of the Radio Button will cause the radio to jump to that Zone and Channel.

In the radio mentioned above, we have a Dispatch Channel (F1) and two administrative talk around channels (FX and FY). If I want to talk to one of the people who have these channels without putting my traffic over the dispatch channel, I call him on F1, request change to FA, press numeric "2", and we conduct our business. At that point, a short press of numeric "1" gets me back to dispatch.

I have tested this feature on the APX and it works the same as with the XTS.

Caution: Using either the Home button, or one of the radio buttons, will cause the radio to jump to the stored zone and channel, regardless of the position of the rotary channel switch. However, if you then move the rotary switch, the radio will jump to the channel position now indicated by the position of the rotary. E.g.: I'm selected in Zone X, channel 6. Now I press "Home," and jump to Zone 1, Channel 1. Fine. But if I want now to shift to channel two and turn the rotary one notch up, I'll be on Zone 1, channel 7, not Zone 1, channel 2. If you enable the Home button with line troop radios (we do) or the radios buttons (we don't), this is a training issue, particularly if the troop radios are usually under cover and the troops usually use Command Mikes to change channels.

Last edited:

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
RKG- Thank you for your input...The first method described for XTS would work as long as it works for APX series.

I do want to stay away from simply using a home button for the exact reason of unintended channel

RKG

I'm glad it was helpful.

Have fun playing with APX. Unfortunately, when Motorola replaced the Astro25 family (XTS, XTL) with APX, they jetisoned a mature programming metaphor and software with something entirely new, and implemented by a piece of software that looks (and sometimes acts) like a 14 year old's video game. This effectively meant that those of us with experience working out how to make Astro25 radios fit the needs of the guys in the field were suddenly required to start all over again. The lame export/import "Migration Assistant" didn't help much. But the need to re-learn (and re-experiment) is why I have to hedge my bets about Astro25 tricks working on APX subscribers.

The department I do most of my stuff for operates on both UHF conventional and 800 trunked, and its slow switch from XTS portables to APX portables is so that folks don't have to carry two radios. I, for one, prefer the form and function of the XTS, so my APX sits in HQ and I still carry two radios. Perhaps showing my age?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hey, at least you can change the splash screen on APX CPS ;)

I would have wished that they would have spent the time invested in programming that feature on something more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.