• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX8000 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

eallen750

I have an APX 8000 dual band portable radio with an 8" U/V 7-8 GPS antenna. I'm looking for a shorter or "stubby" antenna instead of this one that sticks into my armpit.

Motorola does not offer a "stubby" antenna for this radio. I'm willing to sacrifice a little coverage or performance for a shorter antenna.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
If you want to sacrifice then order a 6000 single band stubby antenna

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You didn't say what, if any band you can sacrifice. If you can due without UHF the NAR6596A antenna is very good performer in VHF/700-800 and has a lower profile.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
What are the primary bands you monitor? Here in Los Angeles, I use the PMAT4005 UHF/VHF antenna with great results. LAFD's conventional analog 800 system has enough of a footprint to come in well with that antenna.

It's also only 1/2" longer than a single band UHF antenna.

My 8000 with the PMAT4005:
26720037472_4b35fb5ee7_b.jpg

ME801

MX300-R, been along time since I've seen on of those.
And I've had good results in a very rural area using the NAR6596A antenna on my 8000XE.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
What are the primary bands you monitor? Here in Los Angeles, I use the PMAT4005 UHF/VHF antenna with great results. LAFD's conventional analog 800 system has enough of a footprint to come in well with that antenna.

It's also only 1/2" longer than a single band UHF antenna.

My 8000 with the PMAT4005:
26720037472_4b35fb5ee7_b.jpg

+1 on Mikes reply. I also use this antenna on my 8000. Works extremely well!

Status
Not open for further replies.