• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX8000, Who Has One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl13

QRT
Hey,
I am fully aware this thread is old. But I am interested in getting an APX. I know about the radios and what they are used for, but Motorola won't sell me it directly. if anyone at Motorola Solutions is reading this or if someone who knows a lot about pricing and how and where to get them. Feel free to reply to this or direct message me.

Regards,
Kyle

ccsochp11

Premium Subscriber
EBay if you don't know anyone who can help you order one. There is a verified seller on eBay who has an Motorola apx8000xe brand new with the labels on it. With a good codeplug.

kjl13

QRT
Ok, I was trying to stay away from eBay. But I will check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ts548

737ea3237f0e665fe2ce59b0bd6ed733.jpg

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
737ea3237f0e665fe2ce59b0bd6ed733.jpg

Howdy fellow local resident :cool:

Next time you are in my area let me know and we will do lunch!

I have one too!

(8000XE with XE500 on the left, 6000 regular on the right):

yQo3V2B.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

ts548

Howdy fellow local resident :cool:

Next time you are in my area let me know and we will do lunch!

I have one too!

(8000XE with XE500 on the left, 6000 regular on the right):

yQo3V2B.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

I thought about going with the XE500 but I was just so tired of wires lol. I have to say this bluetooth one is the cats meow. I will definity shout when I come into town when I'm there next.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I thought about going with the XE500 but I was just so tired of wires lol. I have to say this bluetooth one is the cats meow. I will definity shout when I come into town when I'm there next.

I had one of the bluetooth mics for awhile...even loaned it out to one of our K9 units to demo...his main complaint was battery life. I gotta find where I placed it. Somewhere in the shop. With as much rain as we have been getting in Triangle area the ruggedness of the XE500 can't be beat.

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Agency issued APX8000 3.5, all bands activated. ADP/AES multi-key.

Multi-key is required around here as well. With ADP, DES and AES all being used in various ways here in Central NC I have them all loaded into my rig above. Still have my KVL 3000, KVL 4000 and our Moto Rep is supposed to have me on the list for a KVL 5000.

Biggest headache (and I know you go through it too) is trying to be backwards compatible with existing outdated ENC. I helped a neighboring med agency get some Special Ops portable APX radios programmed with a local LE agencies ENC. The issue? The LE agency is still using Advanced Securenet and the only KVL 3000 they have only has Astro Mode on it while mine has both. So I helped them "convert" the AS Key to Astro Mode so that then we could load it onto the new APX's and make everyone happy. Still they are not on my "home" radio system so my advice to upgrade their entire encrypted fleet fell on deaf ears. Such is life.

Like I said to TS above: You ever find yourself in Central NC let me know and we will do lunch and talk over the business.

Marshall KE4ZNR

kjl13

QRT
To the fellas who recently responded to this thread; I am looking to buy an APX 8000. Are any of you able to help?

Regards,
Kyle

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Multi-key is required around here as well. With ADP, DES and AES all being used in various ways here in Central NC I have them all loaded into my rig above. Still have my KVL 3000, KVL 4000 and our Moto Rep is supposed to have me on the list for a KVL 5000.
I'm not impressed with the KVL4000s. We have four of them. All of them constantly have to be reset, the batteries die in days (even when turned completely off). We're supposed to get 5000s but who knows. Not sure if that's even covered in our SUA. (We will be getting MCC7500Es, micro FF PCs and no more VPMs. Can't wait. I'm running out of real estate for PCs in our Watson furniture).
Biggest headache (and I know you go through it too) is trying to be backwards compatible with existing outdated ENC. I
Around the region, ADP and AES-256 are the standard. Trying to migrate all our coded talk groups to AES-256 since we have the hardware. Eventually want to go full coded once all legacy radios are replaced. We have had productive meetings with area radio managers and staff, and these have been very productive. In addition to standardizing encryption, we're also doing ISSI between several of our systems, and created an overlay of interop talk groups. This little ball game in February will be a good test of those!

Like I said to TS above: You ever find yourself in Central NC let me know and we will do lunch and talk over the business.
I do find myself in Chapel Hill (Go Heels) and High Point (our CAD vendor HQ is there), so I'll gladly take you up on that. Likewise, if you're down this way, hit me up. Glad to give you the factory tour and grab a bite.

kjl13

QRT
He said they have them on supply restriction and that they can be sold outside of their local territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.