• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX8000XE "Wrong battery" alert

Programming my friend's 8KXE, didn't come with a battery so when I put in one of my spare batteries that I use for my 8KHXE (Impres 2 PMNN4547A) I got a wrong battery alert on the radio. Is this simply because the battery I'm using is only certified for the HXE and H models? Or is it something I can fix in CPS?

Any help is appreciated

PACNWDude

+1 on what the post above shows in the .pdf. I run many sites with both APX6000XE as well as APX8000XE radios, and they get mixed up all the time, so I made Cadex templates and labels that even state "APX6k" and "APX8k" but end users still mix and match, only to see the "Wrong Battery" flash often. The batteries are PMNN4547A.

(In my case I can recondition charge as either/or but a battery set up for APX6000's will say wrong battery on an APX8000 and vice versa. Important to have the correct template if you have both as in my case too). To add insult to injury, Cadex cups show "APX7000" as the model number, which will work for APX6000/8000 batteries as well. The APX900/4000/XPR3xxx/7xxx cups show "DP4800" (European) model compatibility.

N0BDW

So, this is interesting to me. I was under the impression that batteries were interchangeable among the APX 6000 / 6000XE / 7000 / 7000XE / 8000 / 8000XE. I have a 7000 and an 8000HXE that share batteries (PMNN4579, and then either PMNN4486 or PMNN4504 — model # on label is illegible) and haven't had issues thus far.

None of the batteries in the linked doc list compatibility with both. And I don't see the PMNN4579 listed at all. Odd?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The catalog posted above is outdated; it doesn't even show the 8000H/8000HXE models.

Also note that the Factory Mutual (FM) certification only applies to the 1st generation IMPRES batteries. 2nd generation IMPRES 2 are either UL certified or are not certified at all; FM is no longer used.

While the APX 6000/XE, 7000/XE, 8000/XE/H/XHE batteries are all physically interchangeable, electronically some are intended to be used only with specific models, and might otherwise display the Wrong Battery indication.

Some models won't show that message if you set the Battery Certification Type to None, however that's not always the case. A standard 8000 will complain if you put a PMNN4573 8000H/HXE battery on it even with that field set to None.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
So, this is interesting to me. I was under the impression that batteries were interchangeable among the APX 6000 / 6000XE / 7000 / 7000XE / 8000 / 8000XE. I have a 7000 and an 8000HXE that share batteries (PMNN4579, and then either PMNN4486 or PMNN4504 — model # on label is illegible) and haven't had issues thus far.

None of the batteries in the linked doc list compatibility with both. And I don't see the PMNN4579 listed at all. Odd?
Cover the center pin of the battery with electrical tape and you won't get the "wrong battery" alert.

N0BDW

If I wanted to buy an extended capacity battery rated to -30ºC for use with both the APX7000 and the APX8000HXE would I be better off getting the PMNN4487 (non-UL) or the PMNN4505 (UL)? Or am I bound to get the "wrong battery" on one or the other either way?

Cover the center pin of the battery with electrical tape and you won't get the "wrong battery" alert.

Any downsides to that? Do you lose the ability to check capacity info etc on the radio with that pin covered?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If I wanted to buy an extended capacity battery rated to -30ºC for use with both the APX7000 and the APX8000HXE would I be better off getting the PMNN4487 (non-UL) or the PMNN4505 (UL)? Or am I bound to get the "wrong battery" on one or the other either way?

Any downsides to that? Do you lose the ability to check capacity info etc on the radio with that pin covered?
The only extended capacity battery available for the 8000HXE is the PMNN4573, which is rated down to -20C, not -30C. The 7000 normally won't complain about that UL battery, even though it's technically not listed as compatible.

If you cover the center contact of the battery, you lose all IMPRES functionality, so it's not actually a "fix" for anything. Buy the correct batteries for the radios, that is the right way to go about it.

N0BDW

The only extended capacity battery available for the 8000HXE is the PMNN4573, which is rated down to -20C, not -30C. The 7000 normally won't complain about that UL battery, even though it's technically not listed as compatible.

If you cover the center contact of the battery, you lose all IMPRES functionality, so it's not actually a "fix" for anything. Buy the correct batteries for the radios, that is the right way to go about it.

Thanks. So, to confirm: the PMNN4505 (4850 mAh, -30ºC, UL) will give an error on the APX8000HXE?

mbnv992

The PMNN4573 ( taller high cap battery at 4500MAH ) and the PMNN4547 ( shorter but “fat” battery pumping out 3100MAH ) - are the only two batteries that will work with the H/HXE radios and NOT give a “wrong battery” alert.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for all the replies.. to recap, all batteries intended for the H/HXE models will not "work" with say an 8KXE, but if I cover the middle connection on the battery with electrical tape it won't give me the error?
You won't get the error, or battery levels, or any battery info at all on the radio if you do. So its a bad temporary way to get around the error.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Guys, just a brief question, as this APX stuff is a bit more complex to me than the XTS/XPR stuff I am used to. I just bought an APX 8000 XE. The seller is sending me a PMNN4579A Impres 2 3850mAh battery with it. Will that be fine as far as not getting the wrong battery alert mentioned on here? Or should I get a different battery?

Manny

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Guys, just a brief question, as this APX stuff is a bit more complex to me than the XTS/XPR stuff I am used to. I just bought an APX 8000 XE. The seller is sending me a PMNN4579A Impres 2 3850mAh battery with it. Will that be fine as far as not getting the wrong battery alert mentioned on here? Or should I get a different battery?

Manny
It doesn't have any intrinsic rating so it should be fine. The XE does not require an intrinsic battery like the H or HXE does.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't have any intrinsic rating so it should be fine. The XE does not require an intrinsic battery like the H or HXE does.
Perfect! Thank you very much Shawn! (y)

Side Note: I picked up a PMNN4573A extended battery for it anyway as I like to have a second battery as back up. The original battery is 3850 mAh, the new tall one is 4600 mAh. I THINK that will be enough juice to get me through a typical day..;)

Thanks again.....

Manny

Last edited:

aglowgibbon

I have one of the PMNN4579A as well, but I don't see it on the APX accessories catalog anywhere. Has it been discontinued or is there any reason it's omitted?

aglowgibbon

It's Impres 2, do you have a recent rev of the accy catalog?
I was looking at the 11-23 version, so yes. I ctrl+F and the part number didn't show up at all.

The PMNN4579A battery also shows "No longer available to order" on the MSI online store. My guess is that it has been quietly discontinued.

The catalog posted above is outdated; it doesn't even show the 8000H/8000HXE models.

Also note that the Factory Mutual (FM) certification only applies to the 1st generation IMPRES batteries. 2nd generation IMPRES 2 are either UL certified or are not certified at all; FM is no longer used.

While the APX 6000/XE, 7000/XE, 8000/XE/H/XHE batteries are all physically interchangeable, electronically some are intended to be used only with specific models, and might otherwise display the Wrong Battery indication.

Some models won't show that message if you set the Battery Certification Type to None, however that's not always the case. A standard 8000 will complain if you put a PMNN4573 8000H/HXE battery on it even with that field set to None.
Why would the battery type be wrong when putting a H/HXE battery in an 8000? The radio itself isn't IS, so having an IS battery won't really make it worse or better. Is there another reason why they MSI doesn't want you using IS batteries in an 8000?