ARC 500 Sec 2.16 Using V-Folder Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian1

Page 1.17 bl-27 / 2.16 Using V-folders

I have successfully created scan lists that are saved as .gr files. I can upload and download (to and from) my PSR 500

I opened a .gr file, then I thought I converted or saved it as a .vsc (V-folder) file. When I downloaded the saved .vsc file into my scanner - the whole file was empty.

Seems my problem is in the process of converting a saved .gr (group) file into a .vsc (v-folder) format.

I opened my .gr file and now "saved as" .vsc file. That little blue circle has been spinning now for over a minute. Also states "NOT RESPONDING"

Is it supposed to take a long time to convert the file?

w2xq

Mentor
A WAG. I just ran a test to see my results. I'm using ARC500PRO, and per the manual's section 2.16 it converted a gr5 file of 700-odd entries to the Vscanner file in less than 3 or 4 seconds. Does the directory and/or the file path to the directory where you are attempting to save the file exist?

Julian1

Virtual File

Thank you for taking time to reply.

I created a new folder. Titled it V files. I saved a .gr file as virtual. Then I double clicked on the newly converted virtual file thinking that I'd get to see the contents - just as I would a .gr file.

That's when the program gets "hung up" with "Not Responding".

1. Did I make an error by trying to open a virtual file? Are they just for loading into the scanner or vice-versa?

2. I opened a .gr file and selcted "save as".
3. Used the drop down menu and selected Virtual as file type
4. Tried to open the new Virtual file unsuccessfully

If there is something I'm missing - let me know.

Thanks again!

w2xq

Mentor
I didn't try to load the .vsc file into the scanner, but I did look at it using ARC500PRO and again using the jEdit (from SourceForge) text editor. The vsc file has all the data duplicating the contents of the gr5 file, but in a slightly different format.

My earlier answer was predicated on understanding ARC500 wouldn't write out the vsc file to the folder. ARC500 did do it for me, very quickly.

The other idea I have is you have an incorrect file association; double-clicking the Vscanner file may cause Windows to think the vsc file type launches something other than ARC500. If you use ARC500's File/Open menu, does the file open?

A second idea: I don't create folders with spaces in the name (V files vs. V_files). In the late days of DOS and the early days of Windows, folder and file names with spaces were problematic. This probably isn't true today, but no spaces is just a holdover habit from what I did in the mid-1980's.

Any help here?

Status
Not open for further replies.