ARC536PRO & VIRTUAL CONTROL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDaddy

I can update the data base just fine on my BCD536HP using ARC536PRO with the "mass storage" setting. I'm trying to use Virtual Control with "serial port" setting and this is the error I get:
USB/COMPORT ERROR: 8012
I'm using the port in the front of the scanner going to USB on my PC. I have installed the latest drivers.

Any suggestions?

DocDaddy

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you gone through your Control Panel to verify that the com port you have selected on VC is the one which is showing up as the one connected to your scanner? You should see on your computer: Uniden Serial Port (COMx) where x is the serial port.

If both of those match and you still have the issue, then try powering down your computer and re-starting it. There's a possibility that some other software has "captured" your com port.

Yet another option, if you have additional unused USB ports is to try a different one.

A number of folks are using the rear port on the scanner for Virtual Control, (the one for the GPS device) being sure to set the baud rate in the scanner to 115200. There is an issue with the scanner jumping from Serial Mode to Mass Storage on its own, causing a great deal of frustration.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Good deal - success stories are always nice to hear! What exactly did you do as there were a couple of suggestions?

W8WCL

8012 COM Port Error

What should the baud rate be set to on the COM Port? I have tried at 9600 as well as 1200 and get the same 8012 errors. The software is set to the proper COM Port number in both the system and ARC Software.

Somehow I got things to work once but wasn't able to repeat.

Thanks for your help!

Bill .... W8WCL

W8WCL

Guess this would be the 9 pin serial port used for the GPS. Is there a setting in the scanner to set the port to 115200. If so, I'm not finding that in the manual. Might be overlooking it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes the rear one.

Not in front of scanner now but I think you set that on the scanner. Perhaps under Set Location set port speed.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Update, now that I am in front of a scanner. . .

Menu>Set Your Location>Set Up GPS>Set Serial Port. Scroll down to 115200 and push the silver knob.

Using that rear 9 pin RS 232 connector for virtual control purposes was a "late comer to the party", so it isn't directly referenced in the manual. Many of use were having problems with the front port in Serial for virtual control. After researching this, Upman recommended using the rear port, which is where GPS devices are connected, for serial connection/virtual control.

Status
Not open for further replies.