Ardv1/Ardv10-pc-computer-control-new-s-w

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEXT UPDATE SHOULD BE RELEASED ON 1ST JUNE 2020
I just want to spend the weekend doing some extra testing as I have made many changes and 'tweaks' to the Program.

The list of changes below does not do justice to the extensive code re-writes that are included.
I have re-visited all of my early coding. Bearing in mind the Program started construction many Firmware Updates ago, and I now have 4 more years experience with the Program and AR-DV1. There were instances that due to earlier Firmware I was forced to introduce certain 'checks and balances' that are no longer needed, so they could now be safely removed.

There are in consequence improvements to many Functions.

Here is a summary of what is also contained in the update.
1. 'NEW LIST' BUTTON IN SCOPE LIST
2. LAST SDR SITE SELECTED IN SCOPE LIST
The Program attempts to remember the last SDR item selected, and displays it 'highlighted'.
3. SCOPE 'Q' WINDOW
In previous versions only one highlighted item could be selected and removed from a 'Q' list.
Now you can hold down the keyboard 'Ctrl' key to highlight more than one item, and / or the SHIFT key to highlight a number of items.
4. REMOVED AUTO CENTERING RE, SCOPE 'Q' WINDOW
5. BANDSCOPE SWEEP 'PAUSE' ERROR
In the last Update I accidentally introduced an error during a Scope 'Sweep'. After a signal was found, the Sweep did not continue after the selected PAUSE period - FIXED.
6. SEARCH / SCAN AND SWITCHING BETWEEN FUNCTIONS NOW MORE RESPONSIVE
SEARCH or SCAN selection, and switching between various Functions are now more responsive.
7. HYPERLINKS FOR MANUAL
Added Hyperlinks to Command Index, Page 4. Clicking on an entry takes you to page.
8. ADDED 'IMPORT' BUTTON TO SCOPE FAST WINDOW
This will import Amateur Band Frequencies into the first 10 Scope Memories.
9. COUNTDOWN ON SCOPE START SCREEN
Visual 'fail safe' progress in case Band Scope Sweep does not start after 45 seconds.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

If you have installed the latest update before reading this, please check its version by right clicking on the small button bottom left of the Main screen.

If it does NOT state
Make = "0635 - 01 June 2020 -6.0007-009-036Z238"
REVISION = "Rev.6.0007-022D"

then you need to got to the WEB SITE, download and install the NEW Setup file from there.

I have fixed a minor but annoying problem when sending a Frequency to a WSDR Site from the inter-active List

For some unknown reason, WSDR Sites keep altering the way they respond to the SSB Mode that is sent. KIWI Sites do not do this.

The Program sends the correct request as can be seen by examining the URL,, but the Sites sometimes choose the opposite Side Band..

i.e. a USB request is interpreted as an LSB one, and vice-versa.

I have added a check box next to the WSDR button. Clicking this will reverse the Mode sent, as and when required.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
If it does NOT state
Make = "0635 - 01 June 2020 -6.0007-009-036Z238"
REVISION = "Rev.6.0007-022D"

Amendment to above Post:-
If it does NOT state
Make = "0637 - 03 June 2020 -6.0007-009-036Z242"
then you need to got to the WEB SITE, download and install the NEW Setup file from there.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
eSPYonARD UPDATE NEWS - Rev.6.0007-023 - 13th July 2020
Just for information, the new update is 'almost' ready.

Several new additions and many SPEED increases have been achieved.

As some of you may be aware the Program began 4 years ago, and was the very first of its kind for the AR-DV1. Over the years, and the addition of many 'extra' Functions which the Radio could not perform itself, the Firmware has improved in many ways.

I originally discovered that earlier Firmware could be unstable in some external programming matters, and as a result had to include a lot of extra multiple 'checking' routines and workarounds to compensate for this. Naturally these added to the time it took for some Functions to complete.

In this Update I have also re-visited earlier Coding, with a view of removing any of these extra checking procedures now that they are no longer needed.

This means that in addition to the 'extras' added to the Program in the latest update, there are several noticeable speed increases. For example the time taken to update and re-call a VFO has been decreased by 75%.

All this means I want to re-test the Program for a few more days before releasing it. I will post here when that has been done.

Floridasand

eSPYonARD UPDATE NEWS - Rev.6.0007-023 - 13th July 2020
Just for information, the new update is 'almost' ready.

Several new additions and many SPEED increases have been achieved.

As some of you may be aware the Program began 4 years ago, and was the very first of its kind for the AR-DV1. Over the years, and the addition of many 'extra' Functions which the Radio could not perform itself, the Firmware has improved in many ways.

I originally discovered that earlier Firmware could be unstable in some external programming matters, and as a result had to include a lot of extra multiple 'checking' routines and workarounds to compensate for this. Naturally these added to the time it took for some Functions to complete.

In this Update I have also re-visited earlier Coding, with a view of removing any of these extra checking procedures now that they are no longer needed.

This means that in addition to the 'extras' added to the Program in the latest update, there are several noticeable speed increases. For example the time taken to update and re-call a VFO has been decreased by 75%.

All this means I want to re-test the Program for a few more days before releasing it. I will post here when that has been done.
I use your program every day. There is nothing like it out there and the fact that you are constantly tweaking it to make it better is great! Thanks

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
IMPORTANCE OF USING THE RIGHT USB CABLE

During testing of the latest eSPYonARD update, one of my trusty BETA testers sent me this today.
----------------------
Been conducting various tests and I found two very important issues on my end, one for sure that you have mentioned before. I was using a very high performance 3.0 USB cable. The DV1 uses a USB 2.0 interface and does not support a USB 3.0 cable.

I changed out the cable to a USB 2.0 high performance cable and everything tripled in speed.

----------------------

Using 'any old' USB Cable is unlikely to produce the desired results when controlling the DV1 externally.
A Program like eSPYonARD is constantly exchanging massive amounts of Data below the surface. Some functions such as the Band Scope push this to the limit.

In my own experiments using the 'NEW' and latest update available soon, a 1MHz Scope 'sweep', using 12.5kHz spacing, and different quality cables showed:-
a. with a high performance USB2.0 'quality' cable - 2 seconds.
b. Five other 'cheap and cheerful' USB cables anything from 5 to 10 seconds.

The speed differences will be present for all Functions, but naturally for very simple ones it will not be an issue.

It seems a very unwise decision to spend so much on a Receiver, a little extra for a good Control Program, and then spoil so much by not making sure you have a suitable USB 2.0 cable.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEW PROGRAM UPDATE - JULY 2020

Just uploaded Rev 6.0007-023 to www.espyonard.com.

New Functions, speed improvements, and other tweaks.

As usual they are set out in the Changes Log.

One I really like is an alternative Frequency input method, in addition to the standard number entry, there is a new option to enter a Frequency directly into the main display. There are a lot of other things too.

As always the update is free, as is the Trial Program.

Just try not to worry about the Manual being large. It is simply because of all the extras you have access to, if and when you want to try them, such as 'Q', the Band Scope, Mapping functions and Internet SDR integration to name but a few. None of them are compulsory, just things the Radio cannot do on its own, but you can when you are ready.

Controlling the basic DV1 functions is just about as easy as it can get. All mouse operated, and where necessary a choice from drop down Menus. Just hover the Cursor over any Button and it gives you a brief explanation of what it does. Many have dual functions, depending on a left or right click.

If you are new to the Program, all that is needed is to read the first few pages of the Manual initially, which explains how easy it is to control the basics, and how to connect the AR-DV1 to your P.C.

After that, try the other things one by one, learning about each in turn. With so many available options you have to expect to do a little reading but only if and when you want to experience them. You may find some of the extras, especially those offered by 'Q', quite impressive.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
After 4 years of almost constant work creating new functions, refining and improving the Program I am worn out, lol. So taking a little rest and trying to catch up with all the other things I should have paid attention to.

Will report back in a few weeks.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV1 FORGETTING RECENT SETTINGS WHEN POWERED DOWN

A mystery problem.

A Customer contacted me a couple of days ago. He had not used his DV1 for a few weeks.

His Radio, although working, is not now remembering its last updated settings after powering down (not disconnecting power).

This happens whether using Software or using the Radio via its buttons.It is not a USB or Control Software problem.

As these settings should be stored in the Radio's EEPROM, or should be, it is a real puzzle.

Search and Memory data already stored are remembered, but VFO Frequency Changes are not.

As he is fairly local he has left the AR-DV1 here for me to look at.

I have tried a FULL reset, and re-installing the latest firmware. I also tried some previous firmware. Same issue.

I can load previous Search and Memory details back from the SD Card. They are remembered, but VFO details are not.

It is not SD Card related, I have established that.

He is somewhat reluctant to have to send the Radio back to Japan, via a Dealer. Using eSPYonARD it is less problematic, as the Program stores the VFO and many other details, and recalls them when run. Over the last 4 years I have managed to find workarounds for several Firmware problems, so I am working on a possible 'fix' using software.

Not expecting any 'fix' answers, but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this with their AR-DV1???

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
New eSPYonARD version now available

www.espyonard.com
In case anyone else's DV1 ever has the problem outlined above I have created a software 'fix' and incorporated it in the latest version.

The 'fix' will not alter any DV1's that are OK, but should the problem ever occur with the Units hardware/firmware, when eSPYonARD is closed it first forces the Radio to write the missing data to its Eeprom. It works in the Trial and Activated Program.

There are some other small additions and improvements too so it is certainly worth downloading and installing the latest version.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
UPDATED LIST OF NEW AR-DV1'S WITH FAILED USB PORTS 22 October 2020

NOTE - ALL NEW AR-DV1 Receivers
Look at the range of Serial Numbers. There must be many more where this problem has not been discovered yet.

It is apparent many Dealers and AOR are NOT testing new DV1's re. this issue before sale. They MUST be aware of this by now. In most cases Purchasers who send their Radios back to the Dealer are finding the Radios are shipped to Japan for repair, AND the Customer is being asked to pay for all charges involved.

Prior to this bad batch there were no quality control issues. The AR-DV1 is a great Receiver, but until Dealers and AOR admit this is a real problem, be VERY cautious when buying new.

09524287 (bought in England) ( Charged for repair)
09524317 (bought in France)
09524372 (Dealer (England) replaced re faulty 09524373)
09524373 (bought in England
09524391 (bought in Europe)
09524392 (bought in Australia - NOTE consecutive numbers) (Charged for repair)
09524470 (bought in England)
09524500 (bought in Finland) Repaired under Warranty
09524611 (bought in England Oct 2020) Returned for refund

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
REGARDING THE NEXT PROGRAM UPDATE

Two of my latest BETA testers came up with several interesting suggestions, which on consideration were worthy of inclusion.

This has meant quite a bit of new and amended code writing, and then the inevitable comprehensive checks to make sure not only the new innovations are working correctly, but also that they have not impacted adversely anywhere.

I finished the latest update yesterday, and is on its way to my intrepid and much appreciated band of Testers. As it is so close to the holidays, this inevitably means the update will not be made public until early in the New Year.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported eSPYonARD over the last 5 years. Too many to name individually, however two do deserve special mention.

MStep I can honestly say that without your help, advice and encouragement in the early years, I doubt very much if I could have continued.

G7HID The same applies to all your support over a long period of time. 'Q' and the 'BAND SCOPE' help especially.

As to my other BETA Testers, previous and current, although not identifying you individually, you are greatly appreciated nevertheless, thanks so much.

Wishing anyone who reads this, a safe and Happy Christmas.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
REGARDING THE NEXT PROGRAM UPDATE

Two of my latest BETA testers came up with several interesting suggestions, which on consideration were worthy of inclusion.

This has meant quite a bit of new and amended code writing, and then the inevitable comprehensive checks to make sure not only the new innovations are working correctly, but also that they have not impacted adversely anywhere.

I finished the latest update yesterday, and is on its way to my intrepid and much appreciated band of Testers. As it is so close to the holidays, this inevitably means the update will not be made public until early in the New Year.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported eSPYonARD over the last 5 years. Too many to name individually, however two do deserve special mention.

MStep I can honestly say that without your help, advice and encouragement in the early years, I doubt very much if I could have continued.

G7HID The same applies to all your support over a long period of time. 'Q' and the 'BAND SCOPE' help especially.

As to my other BETA Testers, previous and current, although not identifying you individually, you are greatly appreciated nevertheless, thanks so much.

Wishing anyone who reads this, a safe and Happy Christmas.

The best support for a purchased radio control program, bar none.......................................Merry Christmas to you as well

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE AS OF NOW (3rd January 2021) - FREE AS USUAL
"Rev.6.0007-025"

www.espyonard.com

See Changes Log in Manual for description of new additions and improvements, including extra functions for the very popular Internet integration for HF listeners wishing to use globally situated superb aerial systems and real-time inter-active Waterfalls via their AR-DV1 and eSPYonARD.
Just too many goodies to post here .... Enjoy

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
CONTROLLING THE AR-DV1 REMOTELY

Just out of interest really.

An exciting find but sadly the hardware has been discontinued, so don't get too excited. Who knows the HUB may appear on eBay or Amazon, second hand, or like me some other DV1 users may already have one lying around, never realising its potential.

Whilst doing a bit of Spring cleaning I came upon a device I bought a couple of years ago, but hardly used, the:-

IOGEAR Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station GUWIP204

I remember buying it to share some USB Drives via WiFi, but hardly used it.

The device has 4 USB Ports, a Network socket and can also be connected to Wi-Fi via your wireless Router.

So I decided to connect my AR-DV1 to it, and was truly amazed to find it was recognised and I could control it via eSPYonARD remotely.

The HUB works with Windows 7 through to Windows 10. One has to install software on any P.C. one wishes to use it with, and setting it up was about as easy as it gets.

Once setup, I tried connecting it first with a LAN cable, then just via its own WiFi.

I then connected the DV1 to the Hub, via a USB Cable, both now situated on the other side of the room, and ran the Iogear software on my P.C.

It showed a device connected via SILAB drivers, which I selected. Not for a moment did I think it would work, but as soon as I ran eSPYonARD the DV1 turned on automatically, and everything worked.

So I decided to put it through its paces. Via the Hub's WiFi even the Program's Band Scope worked, albeit a little slower than if the DV1 had been connected to the Computer directly (hardly surprising considering all the data exchanges needed). Then I tried connecting the Hub via a LAN cable, and I could detect no difference in Scope 'sweep' speed at all.

As a final test, I moved the Hub and DV1 to another room. Same result. Full remote control of the Radio. I imagine this will work with other software too, although as Users of eSPYonARD will know its screen interface mirrors the DV1 so closely working remotely was easy.