Ardv1/Ardv10-pc-computer-control-new-s-w

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Should be able to as Device detects USB/SERIAL device drivers when installed. I saw one IOGEAR unit for sale in the U.S., but the postage to the UK (£264) was ridiculous.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV1 - USB / LSB AUDIO DISTORTION

Two TIPS for new DV1 users who experience the Radio exhibiting slightly strange issues occasionally.

This morning I was listening to the HF Amateur Bands with the ICOM IC-R8600 and my AR-DV1.

I found a strong USB transmission on 14.205, and tuned it in to both Radios (they share the same HF antenna).

I was surprised to find that although the R8600 was receiving the signal well, the DV1 audio was too distorted to understand what was being transmitted.

In the past I had received lots of Side Band signals on the DV1. To cut a long story short, it was another (rare) occasion where the radio had had a minor nervous breakdown. Everything else seemed to work OK, so no other symptoms.

After years of working with the AR-DV1, from time to time unexpected things can happen. There are two areas one should always look at if that happens.

1. Perform a System Reset'. In this case it cured the Side Band audio issue immediately.

2. A corrupted SD Card can also produce strange and apparently totally unrelated issues. If there are any unexplained problems, always remove the SD Card and see if they go away.

The DV1 is not good at dealing with even slight Card issues, unlike a P.C. which often ignores them. Often the SD Card is OK.

The cure is to put the Card in a P.C., save its contents somewhere, then re-format it. After this you can transfer the original contents back, and use it in the DV1. Should the same problems happen again quickly then the Card needs to be replaced.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
JUST A TIP - IF YOUR DV1 HAS PROBLEMS RESOLVING SIDE BAND SIGNALS

Yesterday I found that my AR-DV1 would no longer resolve LSB or USB signals. I could tune to them, but the audio was always distorted / garbled. After trying everything I could think of, including a full RESET I sadly decided that the DV1 had developed a fault.

This morning I tried again, same result. Then one last idea came to me.

It was the DV1's 'IF NOR / REV' setting.
On AR-DV1:-
['F' key, followed by '9' key, select 'IF DIR' in Menu and make sure it is set to 'NOR']

I checked and found that the setting was set to 'REV'. As soon as I changed it to 'NOR' my Side Band signals worked again, with no problems.

This is most likely related to the problem I mentioned in my previous post.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
A NEW LOOK AT THE HF BANDS AND MAGNETIC LOOP ANTENNAS

During the lock-downs in my local area radio traffic has dropped dramatically.
So I, and others I suspect, have been drawn back to the HF bands, Commercial and Amateur. Although propagation is still not great, there has been an obvious increase in Ham operation.

Of course the problem for many is the ability to erect suitable antennas.

I addressed this to a degree by incorporating Internet Ham Band access in eSPYonARD. This works well, however it made me take a closer look at my own HF aerial arrangements.

For some years I have relied on a long wire. About 40m in length, but to fit in the garden 'dog legged'.
Comparing that antennas capabilities with the many HDSR internet sites available I was disappointed to say the least. I suspected electrical interference was the real killer using the long wire.

In my decades of a love affair with Radio I have seen many 'miracle' short antennas come and go. I have given several a 'hopeful' try, but with little success.

Because of that I steered clear of active Magnetic Loops. BIG MISTAKE.

The cost of these varies amazingly, but with a lot of research it became obvious that the high end loops were shown to produce the best results.

So a few days ago I took the plunge and am the owner of a Bonito MegaLoop FX. I chose that because of the FaceBook reviews, and the fact that unlike similar loops it receives up to 180 MHz.

Today I mounted it at ground level in the garden, pointing roughly east-west.

Well, the results are indeed amazing. Everything I had read and watched proved to be true. Putting aside the directional properties with a view to minimising local electrical interference, Magnetic Loops really do embrace radiated RF and apply rejection to electrical noise.

As well as my AR-DV1 I now also own an ICOM IC-R8600 , which proved great for comparing the aerials, because of its switchable antenna inputs and brilliant Band Scope.

The Bonito Loop is pulling in signals that were completely swamped using the long wire, all across the HF spectrum. On Medium Wave the wire just about pulled in three or four Broadcast Stations well. With the Loop there are dozens.

Switch to the Loop and the noise floor drops dramatically, revealing lots of new transmissions.

Obviously there are several active Loops on the Market, and they will vary in efficiency and cost, but they do actually work very, very well. If you are interested in HF reception, watch some YouTube videos about them. In this case I was so wrong about a 'miracle antenna' claim, lol, some do exist.

My AR-DV1 is also connected to the Loop, and is performing near perfectly with it.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
IMPLICATIONS OF AOR ADDING TRUNKING TO THE DV1 - 19/02/21 Firmware Update

AR-DV1 Firmware update v2101C, TETRA GSSI user group filtering “PRO” feature. Optional function

Interesting the AR-DV1 is capable of TRUNKING, and AOR have reconsidered it.

In the past AOR have seemed to intimate that the DV1 is a General Coverage Receiver, not a Scanner, and as such they would not incorporate any form of Trunking. Well that principle, if that is what is was, is 'blown' with this latest Firmware update, even if it does cost 11000 Yen / £74.

If AOR added trunking for other Modes, P25 and DMR for example, that would be a leap forward for the AR-DV1. We can only hope.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV1 Receiver Firmware Version 2101C Update 2021/02/19 - problems

I can confirm the latest FW update has crippled eSPYonARD.

First time ever an update has managed that.

I am working on it now. I have already found a 'fix' and the Program now starts and runs OK but I need more time to see if any other 'nasties' have been 'accidentally' included.

Since this latest update is 99% concerned with anyone wishing to pay for an extra TETRA function, which by the way does NOT allow unscrambling of protected TETRA, for the time being I suggest people either stick with the previous firmware version v1907B, or if they need to switch back to it.

I already have an eSPYonARD update in its BETA testing phase, so please be patient. The 'v2010' FIX will be included.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
INFORMATION UPDATE

With the latest FW update the AR-DV1 is now returning different CODES 'randomly' under software control.

Every firmware update before this one has conformed to AOR's published codes, as they should of course.

This is likely to cause problems with any DV1 control software, not only eSPYonARD.

Either this latest firmware is very flawed, or it is doing this 'by design' so that software control programs stop functioning.

It is naturally essential that the codes used by the DV1 remain constant and correct, and conform to their AOR descriptions.

I will do whatever can be done to introduce the necessary 'fixes' as soon as possible.If this is just an accidental flaw in the latest firmware, AOR will replace it quickly. They have occasionally had to do that.

In the meantime anyone using any software to control their AR-DV1 should make sure they are using the previous firmware, v1907B.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
IMPORTANT UPDATE RE. FW v.2010C - 07 March 2021

The new firmware is often corrupting SEARCH and MEMORY Bank data.

The results are not immediately apparent.

IF you have decided (sensibly) to revert back to v.1907B and experience any problems, especially under software control, it means you will HAVE TO perform a manual FULL FACTORY RESET.

Hopefully many will have saved the Search/Memory data already, so can restore it. The data MUST have been saved PRIOR to using v.2010C

Do NOT save it AFTER installing v. 2010C, or IF you have, the chances are you will have saved Search and Memory data already corrupted by the new firmware.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEW eSPYonARD RELEASE

The next Program update is ready, however I will wait a short time to publish it to see if AOR come out with a new and hopefully 'mended' Firmware to replace v.2101C.

IF / WHEN they do I will naturally want to do some more 'testing'.

The current release of eSPYonARD does NOT work with FW 2101C, so v.1907B is the recommended AOR AR-DV1 firmware option. This is the very first time a FW update has stopped the Program from operating. I do know 'why' and the necessary corrections needed.

Lots of tweaks and improvements to many functions in this eSPYonARD update, and a couple of new functions too. I believe this is the most comprehensive update produced to date, and well worth all the work it took to create.

The Program's Manual has been completely re-written. All previous updates shown in the Logs section have been consolidated into the MAIN text, so no more 'jumping about' required.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
v. (6.0007-026) - TO BE RELEASED SOON - For anyone interested here are the changes in the new update:-
1. VFOA and VFOB SELECTION
Changes are significantly faster

2. QDB
Calling Q-DB is much faster

3. POWER DOWN The DV1 was not always powering down when the option was chosen - FIXED

4. PARTIAL RESET
Right-Clicking the small button, top left of the Yellow screen, gives an option to RESET the program to its VFOA settings, if required.

5. USB DISCONNECTION
In the last update I introduced some 'fail safe' coding in case the DV1 lost its USB connection. That did not work correctly. Now if that is ever triggered the Program does not 'close', but gives an option to RESET

6. MANUAL MODE SELECTION
Amended routines called if 'MANUAL OPERATION' has been selected by left clicking the Tuning Knob on the program's screen

7. BAND SCOPE 'S' SELECTION
Added 'S0' option in list on the right of the Band Scope

8. MAIN SCREEN BUTTONS
a. Swapped position of NOTCH and SCOPE buttons
b. Changed position of SCAN and DELAY buttons

9. MONITOR BUTTON
Removed the MONITOR button from main window. Duplicated function so not now needed. Clicking the BAR beneath the Volume Slider gives the same result.

10. BAND SCOPE MARK 'XI'
a. Improved 'ghost frequency' detection and removal during a 'Sweep'
b. Faster Sweep creation time
c. Improved BANDSPREAD creation and execution for SAVED Sweeps

11. BAND SCOPE 'SDRINT' WINDOW (SDR INTERFACE)
Added frequency 'UP/DN' buttons, for convenience

12. ADDED 'EXPERIMENTAL' ICOM IC-R8600 INTERFACE FUNCTIONS
When the 8600 and DV1 are connected via the 10.7 MHz output, shows actual frequency of 8600
if the DV1 frequency is changed in the 'IF' range

13. BAND SCOPE 'SWEEP' MODE / IFBW CHANGE
During a 'Sweep' the MODE can be changed using the buttons at the top of the Scope.
NOTE
The MODE will ALSO change in the 'saved Sweep stored settings'.
If you change a MODE, and do NOT wish the change to be PERMANENT you must change back to the 'ORIGINAL MODE' you wish the program to remember in the 'saved Sweep', BEFORE exiting the current one.
You may change the 'IFBW' using the button on the main window and selecting from the list that appears. However values of '100' or '200' are NOT recommended under normal circumstances as the Squelch will open before reaching the 'centre' frequency, which will cause the Sweep to stop early.
***If the CURSOR is over the Scope's Title Bar, holding down the LEFT mouse button pauses a Sweep, until the button is released

14. AR-DV1 SCAN AN SEARCH FUNCTIONS
These now usually ONLY commence once a selection has been made from the Bank List.
Prior to Rev.6.0007-026 this was not always the case, as the previous Scan or Search bank would sometimes start as soon as either function was selected.

15. SEARCH AND SCAN DELAYS - AR-DV1 FUNCTIONS
I have re-written the Code regarding the control of the Radio's own Search and Scan functions.
As before the 'Sliders' are accessed by clicking the 'DELAY' button on the main window.
The DV1 does not have individual settings for each function, however with eSPYonARD this is achieved, as the Program stores and remembers the 'delay' settings that were selected for both Scan and Search. A value between '0' and '9' seconds.
The Radio has a HOLD function. 'HLD' appears on the receiver's screen (and the Programs' screen') when activated.
The Manual states that setting a maximum delay value (10 seconds), the DV1 will halt on the next 'active' frequency, and not move on until either the delay is changed, or the UP/DN buttons are clicked. In fact this firmware function has never worked correctly, and the scan or search re-commences after 12 seconds.
If 'FREE TIME' is set to '0', a Scan or Search will halt on an active frequency, and not be released until the 'carrier' stops. If a different value (in seconds) is chosen, after that period the Scan or Search will resume even though the transmitting 'carrier' is still present.

16. VFO CHANGE SPEED
Changing between or selecting a VFO is significantly faster
When selecting a VFO immediately after a Memory, Scan or Search operation, the time to change is slightly longer as many parameters have to be reset

17. BAND SCOPE - SELECTION OF SAVED SWEEP RESTORE SETTINGS
Sweep RESTORE option window now appears almost immediately. Previously that could take several seconds. If 'NO' is selected, SCOPE automatically resumes previous sweep, if one was in progress

18. MISCELLANEOUS
Numerous speed and efficiency 'tweaks' to many functions

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AOR'S RECENTLY ANNOUNCED 30 DAY MONEY BACK OFFER

It is worth noting that in some parts of the world, where Dealers are involved, they deliberately do NOT keep AOR products in stock as they used to. When you order through those Dealers, they take their 'cut', but in fact all they do is send your details to Japan, and AOR send the Radio to you from there. Some Dealers even advertise that they are NOT responsible for the AOR products they allegedly supply, and any problems must be taken up directly with AOR in Japan, BY THE CUSTOMER. Certainly UK Trading rules make that illegal, but the Customer would have to take on the legal ramifications obviously,

AOR's recent '30 day money back guarantee' sounds very good, but it will depend very much on the 'small print'. Remember that in many cases that will involve returning the Radio to Japan, not to a local Dealer, which could be at your own expense. If, for example, AOR expect that the Radio is received back in Japan within 30 days of delivery to the Customer, that could give very little time to evaluate the product if bought say in Europe.

With only one exception (DV10) let me be clear, AOR have made, and still sell some excellent products, the AR-DV1 in particular. Do not decide to avoid their merchandise because of the things I have outlined above, but you should be aware of these matters. Personally I would avoid any Dealer who takes your money but will not accept any responsibility for problems with new items That is your decision naturally.