• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Armada Software + VP8000

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I was reading through the offerings for the VP8000 and it shows that 25KHZ wideband isn't allowed. However, I went through the changelog for the armada software and the software allows wideband in the ham bands (both UHF and VHF). I do not see a way to change from wide to narrow (or vice versa) in Armada 1.36.20.

Any help would be great!

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I saw that there. I'm not too familiar with the software though. Would Wide 5.0 be 25khz? or just 12.5khz?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I saw that there. I'm not too familiar with the software though. Would Wide 5.0 be 25khz? or just 12.5khz?
Audio Bandwidth now,
Channel bandwidth is 20/25 or 12.5 analog * IF WE TALK HAM OR GMRS OR MARINE ANALOG, all channels should be NFM otherwise
Digital would be 12.5 FDMA or 6.25 TDMA Phase 2 Trunking
(not referring to NXDN)
DMR for the VP8000 forthcoming but not at this time.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I was worried about this, too, when I saw something like "remove 25 kHz wide" on the built option list for our demo radio, which I thought was odd. I haven't reprogrammed it from the factory test load, but checked yesterday and it included wideband test freqs on channels that are now narrowband by regulation (and performed with 5 kHz dev on those channels).

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I reached out to EF Johnson today, and they stated the following:

Below you will find information regarding what we allow in wideband.

144-148MHz range in VHF

If so, that frequency range is allowed regardless of the Wideband being disabled on the radio.

We also allow the SMURS Blue Dot and Green Dot Wideband channels:

154.57 MHz
154.6 MHz

Another thing to mention regarding wideband is that Armada allows wideband receive on any frequency as long as the non-exempt transmit frequency is disabled.

420-450MHz

We also exempt the following FRS/GMRS channels. Those frequencies are as follows:

462.750 MHz
462.775 MHz
462.800 MHz
462.825 MHz
462.850 MHz
462.875 MHz
462.900 MHz
462.925 MHz
465.000 MHz
462.5625 MHz
462.5875 MHz
462.6125 MHz
462.6375 MHz
462.6625 MHz
462.6875 MHz
462.7125 MHz
462.5500 MHz
462.5750 MHz
462.6000 MHz
462.6250 MHz
462.6500 MHz
462.6750 MHz
462.7000 MHz
462.7250 MHz
467.5500 MHz
467.5750 MHz
467.6000 MHz
467.6250 MHz
467.6500 MHz
467.6750 MHz
467.7000 MHz
467.7250 MHz

And also like VHF, we allow the whole UHF band to receive wideband as long as the non-exempt transmit frequency is disabled.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, no marine though?
Or 70cm amateur.
I would think having cps "flag" wideband where it thinks it shouldn't so as to avoid unintentional violation be would be a better solution. One of my coworkers has such a soft voice that he is narrowband regardless of radio!

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I did talk to a friend on a 70cm repeater, he was using the demo VP8000 they just got. Sounded fantastic. I'm guessing the demo versions have every option, including wideband enabled.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Or 70cm amateur.
I would think having cps "flag" wideband where it thinks it shouldn't so as to avoid unintentional violation be would be a better solution. One of my coworkers has such a soft voice that he is narrowband regardless of radio!
I think it was just ambiguously written. Reading all of it, I think all the freqs and ranges specified in the email allow wideband TX, and all other VHF and UHF freqs allow wideband RX only (no wideband TX). I'll find out on my supposedly "wideband disabled" demo when I hopefully get a chance to play with it in the next few days.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Just to confirm (finally) that it is as expected. If you try to enter a channel in the narrowband-restricted bands, an error shows up in the Problems tab of the Output window, and you can't write to the radio. Disabling transmit on all such channels makes the error go away.

Having not used Armada before, I have to say "wow!" This is how a real, responsive, Windows, radio programming app is supposed to work. Kudos to its developers! :)

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
My desktop (Win11) works fine connecting to VP8000. My MacBook running Win10 under Parallels even works. My toughbook running Win10 says device malfunctioned and not recognized. Missing a driver perhaps? Toughbook is i5 CF31. Toughbook has no problem with NX5xxx radios but then again I'm using the UART selection on cable. Is toughbook just too old?

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
My desktop (Win11) works fine connecting to VP8000. My MacBook running Win10 under Parallels even works. My toughbook running Win10 says device malfunctioned and not recognized. Missing a driver perhaps? Toughbook is i5 CF31. Toughbook has no problem with NX5xxx radios but then again I'm using the UART selection on cable. Is toughbook just too old?
On Win10, after installing Armada, Windows saw the device correctly, but Armada didn't see it. Per tech support, I had to run the Armada install a second time, selecting only the USB LAN driver and not the rest. After that, Armada saw the radio.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I did as you did but no joy. The driver was incompatible (didn’t match hardware), probably with my laptop. My laptop is probably not capable of win11 and that may be an issue.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I did as you did but no joy. The driver was incompatible (didn’t match hardware), probably with my laptop. My laptop is probably not capable of win11 and that may be an issue.
Maybe talk to tech support about it. They might have an unpublished driver for you to try.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Suppose I have a radio with codeplug (conventional) and I need to add a trunked system. What is the process? The radio shop will be adding the system (they have system key). Will they read my radio (create template?), add in TRS and shoot back to my radio? Who builds the zones? I could ask many more questions but anyone with the information can probably see where I’m going with this. My preference is that they would have a template with standard zones built (probably 20 zones or more) so I don’t have to manually do it. If they do, what happens to the conventional zones I’ve already built?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Suppose I have a radio with codeplug (conventional) and I need to add a trunked system. What is the process? The radio shop will be adding the system (they have system key). Will they read my radio (create template?), add in TRS and shoot back to my radio? Who builds the zones? I could ask many more questions but anyone with the information can probably see where I’m going with this. My preference is that they would have a template with standard zones built (probably 20 zones or more) so I don’t have to manually do it. If they do, what happens to the conventional zones I’ve already built?

basically you wont be able to edit the TRS stuff except some of the buttons and what not.
Your conventional stuff you can adjust.

As for the other guys, the toughbook, I am using a CF-30 quad boot, and set the 36xm to USB mode to work on vp6000.