As a kid, what was your most "drooled over" communications receiver? (Include photo)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
For me it was the Radio Shack Realistic DX 160. I obsessed over that radio so much the catalog would simply fall open to that page of the catalog. Years later when I was finally able to afford one, sadly the performance never lived up to my dreamed of expectations.

Drooled Over.jpg

merlin

For me it was the Radio Shack Realistic DX 160. I obsessed over that radio so much the catalog would simply fall open to that page of the catalog. Years later when I was finally able to afford one, sadly the performance never lived up to my dreamed of expectations.

View attachment 156743
Actually, a worthy receiever, but do need a very good SWL antenna. Same is true for the infamous R-390.

tuihill

View attachment 156743
Had one for a few years. Moved up to a Yaesu FRG-7.

GadgetGeek

icr71e-lrg.jpg

Blackswan73

We had one of these in my electronics class. It belonged to the teacher and we got to use it during our free time. I always wanted one. It was the creme’de la creme’ of communications receivers

B.S.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpeg
    IMG_0198.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 27

Blackswan73

I have both. The 71a and the 70. In my opinion the R70 is far better than the 71a. For example, the 70 has a nice built in speaker. Also the 70 has a non-volatile memory and operating system. It has most of the same features as the R71a, without the disadvantages

B.S.

merlin

I remember lusting after one of those. I bought a R8500. And I still have and use it!
The IC7410 I have is better on AM BCB and LW. Everywhere else on HF too.

Unfortunately my cheap plastic Airspy HF+discovery destroys them on LF and HF. Depressing actually...a tiny plastic thing working so much better. The horror!
Yea, but tune up the oldies, its like a breath of fresh air.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
When I was a kid, it was a Hammarlund HQ-180. A neighbor had one. I really wanted one badly.
s-l640.jpg

Later on, it was the awesome JRC NRD-515. I had mine from 1986 until 2013. I loved that thing. I had a cash crunch and I sold it off. Mine was a "Gilfer" modded one, with some other mods. I had the 96 Channel memory too. It still had the "wooly" AM audio, but was very quiet and could hear really weak SSB signals great. I found an old speaker from the 50's at a garage same, and I don't know why, it made almost all the "wool" go away.
3350784439_3b24e2b900_b.jpg

The only negative was the Delta tune knob, the triange F one, it had a detent at the center that made it nearly useless, so I had Universal Radio replace it with a Bournes "Knobpot" which made it almost perfect, ergonomically. Sadly, these radios are beginning to die of old age now, the filters are failing, and the electrolytic caps are too. You can get around them failing fairly easily, but if the magnetic tuning encoder fails, you're probably looking at a paperweight. Someone was working on a optical encoder conversion, but I don't know if it ever was actually made.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
I spent 4 years back in the early 70's with a 390-URR and o-scope. While never used for general frequency scanning, it was exceptional for what we used it for. If I wasn't older and wiser I would try to find one just to see what it can still do.