• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro saber programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
No that cable wont work. You need a rib box and a rib cable for the astro saber.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Be careful, the SABER programming cable and ASTRO SABER programming cables are different. There is a different pinout for the data at the RIB end, and while SABER uses an electronic antenna switch (for antenna external RF), with a Zener diode to select the port, the ASTRO SABER cable has a plunger to push a mechanical switch inside the radio housing.

You can find after market programming cables for both that dont have the antenna RF servicing pigtail, but they still will be wired slightly different. You might have to shuffle two wires if you buy the wrong one. Or make a male to female DB connector that switches the wires.

FoxMcCloud

Thanks for your answers, are there some options on eBay that you could link me on? And yep, thanks for looking out on that, I have the Astro Saber and not the older analog saber

RFI-EMI-GUY

This is an aftermarket cable. You still need a RIB. I assume the seller knows what he is selling and it actually works.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It will probably work. Whatever you do, read the radio and archive a couple copies of the original codeplug. That way if there is a problem rewriting it you can try another configuration. The new WIN10 OS may be a bugaboo. WINXP was probably last support for CPS. I am running WINXP and same CPS here. But will have to change OS soon, and I think that may be the end of it. Meaning another CPU sitting on a shelf in case I ever need it. I still have a DOS IBM pizza box for all things before.

bumby

Premium Subscriber
I recently programmed an Astro Saber with WIN7 32 bit, and a 3rd party programming cable off ebay, and it was a great success. I realize 3rd party programming cables are not recommended, it was a ham radio project, and I wanted to keep cost at a minimum.

FoxMcCloud

I recently programmed an Astro Saber with WIN7 32 bit, and a 3rd party programming cable off ebay, and it was a great success. I realize 3rd party programming cables are not recommended, it was a ham radio project, and I wanted to keep cost at a minimum.
Did you use the RIB box or did you just use the R232 cable?

bumby

Premium Subscriber
It was a rib-less, USB interface cable....or I should say the USB cable has a rib built into it.

FoxMcCloud

It was a rib-less, USB interface cable....or I should say the USB cable has a rib built into it.
So a USB Serial cable to astro saber programming cable? Who made yours and where did you buy it from?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use a Kawamall cable that requires a true serial port (no usb to serial) but not a rib box. I just finished reprogramming my XTS 3000 VHF radio using it. Works best with Windows XP, but no 64 bit software of any Windows version.

bumby

Premium Subscriber
I bought mine off ebay from seller bluemax49ers, however, I checked and he does not seem to have one for sale at the moment. I would message him and see if he has a cable, its not showing up on his ebay site right now.

N4KVE

Yesterday I spent a half hour looking for an Astro Saber ribless serial port programming cable. They don’t seem to exist. But yet I have one that works perfectly for my MTS2000/XTS3000.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Very possible the supply ran out and not worth the cost to produce a small quantity since the XTS3000 has been retired for several years. I could not find one the last time I looked either. I also have a couple EFJ5100 radios, but they all have FPP which works good for ham use.

FoxMcCloud

Yea I have a XTS3000 and just programmed it with a R232 cable. So since the XTS and the Astro Saber are electronically identical, they should both not need a RIB box right?

Status
Not open for further replies.