Attention California Database Admins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Take a close look at the thread. The DB Admin Handbook lists Harris County TX as a model template for the db. IF you look at it in the HP-1 software, you see that it looks pretty good. The 'Police' category needs to be changed to 'Houston, City of', so you know what police we're talking about...

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dan,

We are aware - the RR leadership team is working on a number of things to get this process moving along.

There was a lot of work done during the beta - and there is more work to do. We're getting there.... the sheer amount of information we are dealing with is fairly extraordinary. These types of efforts are, well, time and effort!

It's pretty cool that we've made it just to this point!

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Relieved to see you poking your head in!

I think one of the evolutionary changes is that if we expect consumers to have a uniform experience with the HP-1, I think we're going to have to unify the way the rr.com db is formatted.

Hopefully, some tooling can be applied to automate pieces of the migration... Further down the road, some standard templating may help guide future db admins and submitters.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Let's see what UPman thinks this is going to do...

My only critique is that the range chosen does not fully encompass the county. Those "end pieces" might be non-navigable and non-traversed and so not matter...but one of the first things I had to deal with was the location data for Region 4 in Indiana chopping off 12 miles outside of Evansville...home of Ham Station. Jeff was quite persistent in pointing out this descrepancy...

wise871

Database Admin
Dan,

We are aware - the RR leadership team is working on a number of things to get this process moving along.

There was a lot of work done during the beta - and there is more work to do. We're getting there.... the sheer amount of information we are dealing with is fairly extraordinary. These types of efforts are, well, time and effort!

It's pretty cool that we've made it just to this point!

Lindsay
I figured you guys were. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure everyone is being overwhelmed right now. Thanks for the update.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Don't know if this looks better (it was certainly easier to edit, than creating new catagories) but check out Tuolumne Co
Oh man, I hope not. I don't dig the redundancy of the Agency name. If that's the fix then the DB isn't what's broken.

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I can't appreciate the effort of reworking it. I think the best bet is to make the database templates look like Harris County Tx. Sub-category names are the geotagged. So ideally subcategories contain the jurisdictional entity. Then within the subdirectory, there are 'classes' of frequencies (e.g. PD, FD, EMS) based upon the tags.

Subcategory: Mountain View, City of (<== geotagged)
Channel: PD Dispatch
Channel: FD Dispatch
Channel: PW ...

Anyway, that's what I'd like to see eventually. If there are interim steps to get there, I'm ok with it.

Like I said, I can't appreciate the effort to get to the final product, so I wasn't going to be too critical of how we get there...

benca

Premium Subscriber
Database structure Sonoma County

Nice to see you checking in Linsday, I appreciate the work and dedication to the hobby you have...
I think it is possibly more how the software retrieves the info, Butel XT pro does a better job making the Sonoma County data more use-able than the Free Scan, but the Public Safety headers become combined into a single group.

Ben

Attachments

• RR Sonoma Butel.jpg
    RR Sonoma Butel.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 162

kma371

QRT
Oh man, I hope not. I don't dig the redundancy of the Agency name. If that's the fix then the DB isn't what's broken.

I didn't like the way it looked either, but it was a quick fix and a small county to see what would work.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I would like to also start the discussion about reorganizing the CHP database. Ideally, I would like the HP-1 to be able to select a dispatch office based upon geographic location. Since the HP-1 geotags at the subcategory level, we need to be able to put dispatch offices into their own subcategories. This also maps to software for XT radios that map subcategories into groups that can also be geotagged.

My thread is here:
Re:What exactly is geotagged? - HomePatrol Discussion Forums

And the map I want to use for geotagging is here:
http://harrymarnell.net/PETEINSFs-chpmap070709.pdf

The other comment/question is why should we have CHP frequencies without tones? Don't all frequencies have per-division tones?

Anyway, I've already submitted a bunch of Santa Clara county geotags and I truly appreciate how quickly these were entered. I'm already working on a CHP spreadsheet and slowly working on a division by division organization/geotag. I'll start a new thread with the spreadsheet when I get a complete division done.

I just wanted to start greasing the tracks, setting expectations and starting some discussion now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.