Audio from internal stops working on TX-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

higinbotham

I have a TX-2 less than a year old. If I have the volume on low, the audio would stop working. When at 10 or higher, no problem. Do not have this problem with external source - headphone or speaker. I took the front cover off and cleaned the contacts. Trying not to open this up during warranty period. Not sure if it is the audio power unit doing this in that they may have headphone sensor/short protection (Example - MAX9760 Stereo 3W Audio Power Amplifiers with Headphone Drive and Input Mux - Maxim Integrated - A headphone sense input detects the presence of a headphone jack and automatically configures the amplifiers for either speaker or headphone mode. In speaker mode, the amplifiers can deliver up to 3W of continuous average power into a 3Ω load. In headphone mode, the amplifier can deliver up to 200mW of continuous average power into a 16Ω load ). Does anyone know what the internal speaker ohm rating is? If I do open it up after the warranty, I will most likely check resistance of wire connection between motherboard and speaker to see if the headphone jack is causing an issue and then output power at both areas. The biggest problem manufacturers have is getting consistent quality parts from China manufacturers. QA is a big issue in new emerging countries.

Ubbe

.... Do not have this problem with external source - headphone or speaker.... Not sure if it is the audio power unit doing this....
Why do you suspect the speaker amplifier when it works good using an external speaker? Lift the cover and jiggle the connector that goes to the speaker to excercise it. If that doesn't help it has to be the speaker in itself as it is a switch in the external speaker jack that switches the internal speaker to the external one, everything else are the same.

/Ubbe

pgates

Good Morning, Higinbotham, I hope things are good with you.
You use the word warranty twice in your message. Has Whistler technical support not offered a solution?

On a non-radio topic, the problem with inconsistent quality, China or other locations, is usually found in pressing the absolutely lowest cost in sourcing and manufacturing. Better quality might result from more money spent in acquisition. There are a lot of high quality products that come from China. Lots of awful quality, too. One of the reasons there is so much of the world's manufacturing in China is the willingness to be flexible and make what is paid for, which usually means rock-bottom cost and the least acceptable quality. BTW, who knows where the components came from, but, I'll note that my most recent TRX-2 was made in the Philippines.

My opinion on the source of your problem is a faulty internal speaker. Works with enough signal to move the armature from where it's stuck. Won't work when there isn't enough signal. But, again, that should likely be a warranty concern for Whistler. I had to re-read your note about removing the front panel and cleaning the contacts. I don't believe there is any audio signal through the front panel. You'll note that the volume knob is just an encoder that serves for volume, squelch, menu selection, etc. So, not a potentiometer through which signal flows. As proof of this, it can be shown that, once started, the TRX-2 continues to operate (including audio) with the front panel completely removed.

Best wishes on solving your frustrating problem.

--Phil

higinbotham

Good Morning, Higinbotham, I hope things are good with you.
You use the word warranty twice in your message. Has Whistler technical support not offered a solution?

On a non-radio topic, the problem with inconsistent quality, China or other locations, is usually found in pressing the absolutely lowest cost in sourcing and manufacturing. Better quality might result from more money spent in acquisition. There are a lot of high quality products that come from China. Lots of awful quality, too. One of the reasons there is so much of the world's manufacturing in China is the willingness to be flexible and make what is paid for, which usually means rock-bottom cost and the least acceptable quality. BTW, who knows where the components came from, but, I'll note that my most recent TRX-2 was made in the Philippines.

My opinion on the source of your problem is a faulty internal speaker. Works with enough signal to move the armature from where it's stuck. Won't work when there isn't enough signal. But, again, that should likely be a warranty concern for Whistler. I had to re-read your note about removing the front panel and cleaning the contacts. I don't believe there is any audio signal through the front panel. You'll note that the volume knob is just an encoder that serves for volume, squelch, menu selection, etc. So, not a potentiometer through which signal flows. As proof of this, it can be shown that, once started, the TRX-2 continues to operate (including audio) with the front panel completely removed.

Best wishes on solving your frustrating problem.

--Phil

higinbotham

Why do you suspect the speaker amplifier when it works good using an external speaker? Lift the cover and jiggle the connector that goes to the speaker to excercise it. If that doesn't help it has to be the speaker in itself as it is a switch in the external speaker jack that switches the internal speaker to the external one, everything else are the same.

/Ubbe
Thank you Ubbe for your feedback. Billy

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed the same thing. I have the display set to light when radio traffic comes across. I'll see the display light and no sound. I tap the weather button right after and no issue.

higinbotham

Well, it looks like the headphone jack needs replacing now since the unit has stopped having intermittent issue before. Appreciate all the feedback. Not sure if there is a way to close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.