HP-1: Audio randomly stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMENGFER

Premium Subscriber
I have a HP-1 which has a problem with it's audio. The audio will randomly stop after 10-15 minute of use.

1) When checked the volume setting still displays full volume.
2) The display continue to scan and indicate traffic then restart.
3) All other visible indications are the unit is functioning properly.
4) The unit is only monitoring P25 traffic.

The only method I've discover to regain the audio is to re-power the unit. This occurs on the current production release of firmware as well as the beta 2.6 version.

Any ideas?

Voyager

Check the bypass jumper in the earphone jack. (plug in and unplug a plug a few times)

Not sure why a simple restart would 'cure' it, but it is possible.

troymail

Silent Key
I see similar things quite often on the x36 radios. My suspicion has always been that the radio is detecting activity on a talkgroup (the control channel indicates something should be on a frequency) but either can't decode the voice due to signal quality and/or it can't decide if it's encrypted or not. As far as 'weak' signals - this could be you are trying to receive a distant signal/site of a system or it could also be on a local/close system but the simulcast issues are causing the signal to seem "weak" to your receiver.

Of course, there's always the possibility that someone is keying up a radio and not talking but if it's a normal routinely used talkgroup, that's pretty unlikely.

MStep

I have a HP-1 which has a problem with it's audio. The audio will randomly stop after 10-15 minute of use.

1) When checked the volume setting still displays full volume.
2) The display continue to scan and indicate traffic then restart.
3) All other visible indications are the unit is functioning properly.
4) The unit is only monitoring P25 traffic.

The only method I've discover to regain the audio is to re-power the unit. This occurs on the current production release of firmware as well as the beta 2.6 version.

Any ideas?

I have had the best luck with my HP-1 scanner using an older version of the firmware, which is version 2.03. You can swap out the firmware for older versions and then back again if you don't like the results, as long as you are familiar with the process (it's been described here in numerous other posts).

I seem to recall that when they when they went into newer versions of the software, there were some issues with strange audio behavior on P25 systems. You are going to have to do some digging here in the forums, but you will definitely find the information.

Someone a bit more familiar with the problems might pop on and direct you to the various posts. I believe that one thread was started by UPMan when he was "open testing" various HP-1 firmware designs following the 2.03 version.

wtp

you could try

a set of computer speakers, this would do two things.
it would show if the amplifier circuit works.
it would show if the speaker is blown.
and if it works when you unplug it, so much the better.

kb8rvp

HP-1: Audio randomly stops

As the last post said try an external speaker to confirm if it's an issue with the internal speaker or audio circuit. If it works the same with an external speaker and stops after 15min you may have an internal audio circuit issue and may need to seek repair. I just replaced the internal speaker on an HP-1 for a friend but it had no audio at all because she blew the speaker after running it at max volume for two years. I knew it was the speaker because she had no audio and the beeps didn't work when you were in the menu and headphones and an external speaker both worked just fine.

I have also noticed with firmware 2.03 and 2.05 on an 800MHz simulcast system the audio works when the scanner stops on a talk group but with 2.04 I get no audio when it stops on a talk group. This is only with simulcast. On a single site system all three firmware versions work fine in my area... The strange thing with your scanner is that it works for 15min and stops like the audio amp stops working.

Hope this helps
Mike

DMENGFER

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

As the last post said try an external speaker to confirm if it's an issue with the internal speaker or audio circuit. If it works the same with an external speaker and stops after 15min you may have an internal audio circuit issue and may need to seek repair. I just replaced the internal speaker on an HP-1 for a friend but it had no audio at all because she blew the speaker after running it at max volume for two years. I knew it was the speaker because she had no audio and the beeps didn't work when you were in the menu and headphones and an external speaker both worked just fine.

I have also noticed with firmware 2.03 and 2.05 on an 800MHz simulcast system the audio works when the scanner stops on a talk group but with 2.04 I get no audio when it stops on a talk group. This is only with simulcast. On a single site system all three firmware versions work fine in my area... The strange thing with your scanner is that it works for 15min and stops like the audio amp stops working.

Hope this helps
Mike

Thanks to everyone for the great and creative suggestions. It looks like MStep & Mike (KB8RVP) receives the Hall of Fame Award on this one.

Once I downgraded the firmware back to 2.03 the HP-1 functioned normally again. (I am in a simulcast area) So appears there was an issue introduced somewhere in the code which causes a loss of audio. It’s my plan to step back up through the newer versions to determine at what point the problem reoccurs.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly!
-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.