Aviation Emergency Frequencies

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Why is it that no matter where I am or what radio I use, there is a birdie or a dead signal on both 121.500 and 243.00? Drives me nuts LOL

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
I never put those frequencies into my scanner it's been that way for years.
Steve
What stinks is that I'm supposed to monitor that freq at work. Normally we'll turn it on and there is a birdie or some jerk screwing around. Turn it off and then forget about it. Kinda defeats the whole purpose.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
usually all you hear on there are cats meowing and similar antics anyway ( you're on guarrrrrd!!) it's extremely annoying and distracting to listen to. every now and then it gets a real use, though.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It’s fun here in California. Besides the guaaaaard and whatnot, we have pilot Randy who gives his full landing speech from time-to-time on 121.5. Good times. I have heard radio patches as well for some serious passenger medical issues, military warning civilian planes, aircraft relaying messages for non responding planes, etc.

As to 243 MHz, that is the second harmonic of 121.5. Additionally, you noted you are hearing it no matter what radio you use. Unless all of your radios are the same…I will venture that something is transmitting nearby.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by birdie? Can you post a recording? We know what a dead signal is, but I am curious about your birdie. Also, to somewhat confirm it is not coming from your home, turn off the breakers and unplug a UPS after shutting down anything plugged into it first.

There is always RF direction finding if you are not the source. If you live near an airport or airstrip, you may want to start there

PACNWDude

Icom A-110 or 120 is very common for those that must monitor 121.5/243.0. I am using a very old Technisonic TiL-91-DE myself (VHF only) to monitor 121.5 guard channel.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Original poster I assume it sounds like an open carrier? You say you have it on both civilian and military guard?

There is a lot less cat calls and Guuuaaarrrd transmissions in the last couple of years, I live south of Trenton, New Jersey and monitor down through Delaware. We have extensive MilAir activity every weekend secondary to "the big guy" as he is famously known now LOL.

It's kind of ironic that it's called the emergency channel as in a real emergency an aircraft would not switch frequencies and would stay in contact with the tower to immediately return or give their intentions. Guard is used more for chit chat between planes, tipping off each other that the towers trying to contact them or friendly conversation between two pilots of the same airline.

What I've heard more than once is a military jet notifying a private aircraft to make an immediate right turn, you are in restricted airspace this is a United States military aircraft, make an immediate right. That can be cool especially when they start shooting flares.

Birdies as they call them are not that common today as they were in yesteryear and as has been said are generated internally from a radio but to try to solve your problem...

... try switching out power supplies, don't know how many radios you have in one place but it very well could be in a brick on one of your strips. That's been my experience when I get what sounds like, an open carrier, unless it's a real open carrier.😄

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
I have issues with birdies on either frequency and live in closely spaced urban area. Plus use an older Radio Shack PRO-2045 for part of my monitoring radios.

I am just down the road from Trentbob in Maryland, so also hear the fighters protecting the POTUS when home in Delaware.

Most of my received radio traffic on 121.5 is some aircraft trying to call another aircraft that missed their handoff from the FAA center. The calling aircraft is trying to get wayward aircraft on back on the right frequency with center.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
What I've heard more than once is a military jet notifying a private aircraft to make an immediate right turn, you are in restricted airspace this is a United States military aircraft, make an immediate right. That can be cool especially when they start shooting flares.

Even better is "Unidentified aircraft at [location], this is Giant Killer (or Huntress) on guard...." You done screwed up A-Aron...

majoco

Stirrer
Exactly what TrentBob said:
It's kind of ironic that it's called the emergency channel as in a real emergency an aircraft would not switch frequencies and would stay in contact with the tower to immediately return or give their intentions. Guard is used more for chit chat between planes, tipping off each other that the towers trying to contact them or friendly conversation between two pilots of the same airline.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Just reread my post and noticed Ieft out don't. That what happens when trying to post after a long day at work.

Going forward I don't have any birdies, but can't update my old post to add it.

No issues

G7RUX

Why is it that no matter where I am or what radio I use, there is a birdie or a dead signal on both 121.500 and 243.00? Drives me nuts LOL
243 is the second harmonic of 121.5 so I would imagine that you may well be seeing a real but harmonically rich signal from something if it’s not being generated in your receiver.