Baby beginner who knows nothing about what I just bought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotusbird

Ok, where do I start? I'm not even sure this post belongs here, but here it is- I was an avid SWL for many years, mostly loving the vintage receivers ( have a Transoceanic, Grundig console, GE tombstone, couple of Zenith chairsides) I had a more "modern" Yaesu FRG-100 but I sold it years ago when I decided to get out of the hobby (but the flame is eternal, isn't it:) Anyway, I went to an auction over the weekend and my departure from the hobby is over, this is what I got for 270.00- Icom 375 transceiver, Icom 515 power supply, Icom 500 antenna tuner, astron 35m power supply, MFJ versa tuner III 962, 2 Diamond SX 100 SWR & power meters and a pair of MFJ 392B headphones.Some of the stuff is NOS. I bought all this with every intention to sell it, but well, you know...So do you think I did ok? I know absolutely NOTHING about any of this equipment, except that ham stuff can be pricey.
As for me, the only thing I do know is I can't transmit because I don't have a license (it remains to be seen if I want to get 1) but at least I can set it up to receive to check it out, but I haven't a clue! I'm really hoping you guys can help me out, I'm a 62 year old lady thats pretty tech stupid! From what I can gather from the manual, this transceiver, (unlike the FRG-100 that I just plugged into the wall) is to be connected to the power supply and the PS is plugged into the wall??? Which PS, the Icom or the Astron??? The other problem is I really don't have a proper antenna. Most of my radios just have a length of wire hung as high as I could get it, connected to the terminals. Of course, this 375 doesn't have terminals, what is that thing called that you plug into the antenna jack??? (You can stop laughing now) I prefer to get a really inexpensive antenna at first to see if I really want to start in this hobby again. Would a CB antenna work at all?
I have a TON more questions I'll save for later so you guys don't get sick of me too soon.
Oh- I live in the Southern Tier of NY (Wellsville) in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, so I have that to think about too. SW reception doesn't seem too bad though.
Well, I guess thats enough for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
That radio is a ham rig for 220 mHz. In your location.... even if you did get licensed... you would likely find very little 220 mHz activity. It's a great radio, but for a very specialized purpose. The CB antenna won't work with it. There is some value in everything you have and $270 for the lot was probably a good price. Check comparable equipment on eBay. Or go to a hamfest (there are several upcoming in upstate NY) and sell it there... while you're at it, you may be able to trade for a shortwave receiver... and certainly get more info about becoming a ham.

lotusbird

OK. Thanks for the reply. Even though it's a transceiver, I see it's a general coverage receiver, so I should be able to pick up some SW broadcasts,right? Even if I'm going to sell it, I'd like to be able to test it to see if it works or not. There seems to be very limited info on the net, at least anything non technical enough that I would be able to understand!
I found on the net that the Icom ps-15 is ok to use with this rig, as well as the Astron 35m, is that correct? I did plug the end of the ps-15 into the 6 pin connector on the back of the 375, it fit perfectly. I am still hesitant to plug it in to the wall, there is a wire on the back of the 375 that I don't know where it goes. I don't want to fry the unit, or electrocute myself! Perhaps there is a more appropriate forum I should be posting in, 1 that is more specific to this rig?? I could post photos, if thats allowed.
So who wants to volunteer to help an old lady?:)

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Could you check the Model number of the transceiver? Most of the items you listed are for what hams call 'HF' and the Model 735 is a HF rig that could be used for shortwave listening. IF so, let us know and some one can give information on setup.

Good luck

lotusbird

I do have the manual for this rig, which says it's a complete HF radio, a general coverage receiver, with a tuning range from 100kHz to 30MHz continuous- the model # on back simply says IC-735, and on the front it says HF transceiver. If I interpret this correctly, I believe it means I can receive SW broadcasts. I so want to try, but like I said, I don't want to connect it wrong and fry the radio or electrocute myself!

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The IC 735 is a nice HF transceiver with a general coverage receiver. the receiver covers 150 kHZ to 30 MHZ. i have a manual I need to find, then based on the list you posted earlier we can likely get you listening. i still have a 735 that i use just for receiving. BTW I think you got a good deal as just the 735 can go for over $300.

Will check the thread and post more info when I have more than a smartphone to put together a better response.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the confusion. You initially wrote "...this is what I got for 270.00- Icom 375 transceiver,". The 375 IS a 220 mHz transceiver. But the IC-735 is a very good HF transceiver and all-band receiver. And the accessories you have make sense for that radio (735).

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
lotusbird-

If you have the manual, it describes how to hook up the radio to a power supply and antenna. just do not plug in the microphone and make sure the XMIT button on the front is in the is in the 'out' position before powering up the unit. if you press the button a couple of times you will notice it is either 'in' or 'out'. if it is in the out position the unit is in receive mode. similarly the power button is 'in' to turn the unit on. (if you are uneasy, check out the buttons before hooking up the power supply.

Does the 735 have a power cable with it. it would plug into the back of the unit in the upper right looking at the rear of the transceiver. the other end would hook up to the power supply (the Astron will have a red and a black terminal on the back. Red wire to red post and Black to Black (As shown in manual). For starters you can just poke a wire into the center of the antenna terminal.

After checking the 'buttons' turn on the power supply(you will likely hear a 'HUM'), then the radio. from there I would see if it would receive a 'local' AM radio station. you can read the manual for how to tune the radio as a receiver.

The radio will not transmit unless the XMIT button is depressed or a Microphone is plugged into the front panel jack and 'keyed' unless there is something seriously wrong with it. if it does shut off the power supply.

The 735 operates off of 13.8 volts DC (same as most car audio ) and there should be no high voltage to worry about. The Astron power supply will sense a 'short' circuit and protect itself from harm by shutting down the output -likely before any harm (other than your nerves if something 'pops'.

feel free to post any more questions or PM (private message) if you need more information.

you can get more information about shortwave on this sites WIKI or many other sites on the Internet.

enjoy

N5TWB

Too bad you got dyslexic on that model number as the IC-375 could have probably made your money back by taking it to e-Bay...that's a rare one.

You're getting good advice above from wyShack but you really need to connect with some local, hands-on help from a knowledgeable amateur radio operator. Here's the results from a quick search: FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Wellsville, New York - Ham Radio

Just checked MapQuest -- you are in the middle of nowhere, aren't you? I couldn't find a club very close to you.

lotusbird

Thank you so much wyShack for your help.The manual is a bit techie for me (ok a LOT:)
Unfortunately, this rig didn't come with a power cord, but the power supply has a cord with a 6 pin connector on it that mates perfectly with the 6 pin on the back of the 735. It has a 3 prong plug too that I assume you just plug into the wall? OMG, I must sound so dense, it gets better, I promise, I do know a fair amount about SW.
What concerns me (besides blowing everything up including myself) is there is a short wire on the back of the 735 that is plugged into a jack labeled ALC and the other end is not plugged into anything, should I just leave it alone or what?
My husband is sure I am going to blow everything up but I said nah, I got expert help!

lotusbird

Kind of answering my old post which didn't even show up yet, because I am a new member and my posts need to be approved- found some info on the icom ps-15, which says it comes with the standard 6 pin icom power cable attached, so does that mean I can just plug the ps into the radio and then the other plug into the wall, or do I still need a power cable? I'm so confused. What the heck is this POWER supply for if not to power the radio!?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Lotusbird-

you havthe hookup right -just plug the power supply to the radio and the power supply to the wall. The ALconnection can be left unhooked. The ALC wire is only used when transmitting with an amplifier.

lotusbird

I finally got brave and hooked everything up and plugged it in- and after hovering over the power button forever, pushed it in and prayed I didn't get blown up- everything lights up, tuning is smooth, all I get is a bunch of static though, I'm assuming because I don't have an antenna, anything I can use to see if it's working properly before I build/buy a proper one? I have a few of those roll up ones for my portables and a bunch of copper wire strung around the room for my Grundig console.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Just stick some wire, even a few feet will work for testing receive, into the center of the antenna jack. You should hear a lot of stations on the 735. Make sure the attenuator is off and the RF gain is turned up. The 735 is a decent little radio. Mine had solder joint issues galore, but most of them are very reliable.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
lotusbird-

Welcome back 'on the air. For receive, you can just use some wire, Strip the insulation form one end and plug it into the antenna jack on the rear of the radio. you may remember that 1000 kHz is 1 MHZ.. the 735 display is in MHZ. CHU, the Canadian time station is on 3333, 7850 and 14670 kHz. you should be able to hear the 7850 signal there in New York unless you have a lot of electrical noise in your area. you may also tune the AM band (550-1600 kHz is 0.550 to 1.600 MHZ). WWV (the US time station is 2.5 ,5.0 10.0 AND 15.000 MHz) If you pick up those. there are several sites with shortwave schedules -check the Wiki on this site or one I use is Prime Time Shortwave - Your guide for English shortwave broadcasts (Blue is a 'link"). most schedules use kHz for frequency and UTC (Zulu) time. UTC is 4 hours 'ahead' of eastern time in summer (daylight savings time) and 5 hours ahead in the winter. As an example 2000 UTC would be 1600 (or 4 PM) Eastern.

Any more questions just ask. the blue

Enjoy

lotusbird

It works! I have a very short piece of wire (little over a foot) so I didn't get much, Radio Havana and WWV and some other unidentified broadcasts. Best I could do at midnight, today I'll hook up my LW. The only way I could get it to work was sticking the wire in the jack that said RX ant in. The other big jack for antenna I'm assuming is for coax with a SO-??? connector? Any ideas how to connect an antenna so it will stay in? I guess probably solder (shudder) a plug onto it?
I've been away from this hobby too long, is ATT the attenuator?
Now, just in case I want to sell this rig, (which is looking less likely now :) Is there any way I can verify that it is able to transmit?
You guys are awesome! I am 1 happy old lady!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
In all likelihood, it DOES transmit fine... unless the finals are burned out. Something called a "dummy load" could be used to test the transmitter but I didn't see one in the list of stuff you have. You listed that you have an Icom 500 tuner, which if you connect a long wire, dipole, or other antenna will be useful. It goes between the antenna and the transceiver.... it will connect through the SO-239 coax jack on the transceiver... there should be a coaxial cable jumper with a PL-259 plug on both ends that will make that connection. Remember... you need a license to transmit. Regardless, don't transmit into that short piece of wire... it might be a way to destroy the final amplifier in the transmitter. Antenna selection / design, reducing the output power in order to test the transmitter into a dummy load, etc. are all topics that you can read about online, in the manual, or get help with here or from other hams. But you'll need a licensed ham (or a ham license) to legally transmit.

Last edited:

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I will have to look if any of the equipment you listed has a dummy load. Also -the 735 antenna jack has a standard coax connector -you are right that you would need to do some soldering -to get the most out of what you have you can use the tuner you also got to 'tune' a wire antenna for better reception. in that case you would need a short piece of coax between the two pieces of equipment.

may post more later -Congrats on progress so far.

lotusbird

Oh believe me popnokick, I would never transmit without a license, one I'm too old to do anything illegal, and 2 I wouldn't know how to transmit anyway! My Dad was an old ham and thats 1 of the first things he drummed into my head when he let me use his old Lafayette rig. Too bad he's gone now (RIP) as I could surely use his expertise now, and spare you guys some some of my moronic questions. Going to work on my antenna now so I leave you people in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.