Not even a noob yet but I have an antenna mast question.

Dad_Eh

Hi everyone.
Whilst I study and study, I drool over my upcoming 1st radio(s) and torn to which I should get but I feel I’ll be happy with the ic-7300. The antenna(s) and coax is something I struggle with which one(s) to get.
I have a 20 or 30ft tv mast and am in the process of removing the old tv antenna. I may have mistakenly learned the I am unable to use that tv mast/tower to mount radio antennas into. My searching is misleading for answers or leaves me in a darkened room, for answers hence I now broach the question to you guys. Apologies if this has been asked many times but could not find a similar question posted here. My thinking is, there shouldn’t be an issue but will warmly welcome your guidance. Plan to use vertical antenna and that is where my knowledge ends but I will research for better insights before purchasing/purchase wisely (Or try to lol). Thank you all in advance

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure anyone can accurately answer that without knowing what kind of mast it is, how well it is mounted/secured/guyed, what kind of antenna you want to mount, and what your skill level is.

Since the IC-7300 is an HF radio, a vertical HF antenna might be a bit much for a mast that may have been designed/installed for a small TV antenna.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone.
Whilst I study and study, I drool over my upcoming 1st radio(s) and torn to which I should get but I feel I’ll be happy with the ic-7300. The antenna(s) and coax is something I struggle with which one(s) to get.
I have a 20 or 30ft tv mast and am in the process of removing the old tv antenna. I may have mistakenly learned the I am unable to use that tv mast/tower to mount radio antennas into. My searching is misleading for answers or leaves me in a darkened room, for answers hence I now broach the question to you guys. Apologies if this has been asked many times but could not find a similar question posted here. My thinking is, there shouldn’t be an issue but will warmly welcome your guidance. Plan to use vertical antenna and that is where my knowledge ends but I will research for better insights before purchasing/purchase wisely (Or try to lol). Thank you all in advance
If you have access to the mast, you may place this on the mast, an AM/FM antenna. I had one in my attic and before I got my General License, I had my Kenwood TS-430S hooked to it, never transmitting, of course, but it received up to 10 meters very well.
If you have less than 50 feet to the top of the mast to your radio, you could use RG8X coax. I'm pretty sure the RG-6 connector on the antenna is a PL-259 to RG-6 female adapter that can be removed (it was on mine). I later had it hooked to my Grundig Satellite 800 radio and it was superb. It should work very well on an ICOM 7300 as long as you don't transmit!

Dad_Eh

If you have access to the mast, you may place this on the mast, an AM/FM antenna. I had one in my attic and before I got my General License, I had my Kenwood TS-430S hooked to it, never transmitting, of course, but it received up to 10 meters very well.
If you have less than 50 feet to the top of the mast to your radio, you could use RG8X coax. I'm pretty sure the RG-6 connector on the antenna is a PL-259 to RG-6 female adapter that can be removed (it was on mine). I later had it hooked to my Grundig Satellite 800 radio and it was superb. It should work very well on an ICOM 7300 as long as you don't transmit!
Thank you for your valuable input. Aside from the mast, I’ve even gone so far as to consider a tripod and mounting the Comet CHA 250-B HF Antenna onto it. Saves the potential issues on mounting it on the tv mast or investing on a new radio mast. Lots to learn and all the variables/peripherals