• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Back of set antenna on UHF MotoTRBO mobile

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Setting up an XPR4550 on an Astron power supply indoors. Was planning on programming it down to 1-2 watts (whatever minimum power is) and throwing some sort of back of set right-angle BNC antenna solution on the back, so as to not irradiate the humans sitting next to the rig.

Any issues with this? Not sure how mobiles and handheld antennas match as far as grounding needs go...my only experience is with using NMO no ground plane antenna versions for special cases. Radio won't be used hardly ever, just a backup for if cell service goes down.

Paul

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Dependso n use case but I've done that for receive only with no issues. I think minimum power is 5 watts on the mobile so in thoery your same as a handheld but have no ground plane for tx. I'm sure folks are out there doing the same thing but personally I'd just drop a mag mount nmo 1/4 wave on it and put on something metal.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Here is the setup I have in my bedroom. Don't need it to be super complex or even work very well. I just use it for receive mainly, and to transmit around the property and into a repeater. Of course the 1/4 waves will especially not work well (mainly the one just hanging on the side of the radio), but that's fine.

1/4 wave antenna on the mag mount
1/4 wave antenna on the side of radio
1/2 wave black antenna

Attachments

• radio1.png
    radio1.png
    442.4 KB · Views: 18
  • radio2.png
    radio2.png
    492.7 KB · Views: 18

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Here is the setup I have in my bedroom. Don't need it to be super complex or even work very well. I just use it for receive mainly, and to transmit around the property and into a repeater. Of course the 1/4 waves will especially not work well (mainly the one just hanging on the side of the radio), but that's fine.

1/4 wave antenna on the mag mount
1/4 wave antenna on the side of radio
1/2 wave black antenna
We are actually buying one of those Astron power supplies that has the custom cover for the XPR4550, so I think we may be able to use an existing NIB (in our junk box) NMO mount out of storage, and pop one of those L brackets on the side of the housing. Would a non-ground-plane antenna be necessary to not burn out the amp, or you think some stupid new style UHF pucktenna (more junk we have in a box) would be fine at 2 watts (low power spec for the XPR in Connect Plus trunking) infrequent use? Not so much concerned about hitting the system as handhelds are full signal indoors here, just don't want to F around and fry something due to inappropriate grounding or some other nonsense.

Paul

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
We are actually buying one of those Astron power supplies that has the custom cover for the XPR4550, so I think we may be able to use an existing NIB (in our junk box) NMO mount out of storage, and pop one of those L brackets on the side of the housing. Would a non-ground-plane antenna be necessary to not burn out the amp, or you think some stupid new style UHF pucktenna (more junk we have in a box) would be fine at 2 watts (low power spec for the XPR in Connect Plus trunking) infrequent use? Not so much concerned about hitting the system as handhelds are full signal indoors here, just don't want to F around and fry something due to inappropriate grounding or some other nonsense.

Paul
I haven't checked the SWR in a long time, but it wasn't terrible when I put it on. Just obviously not efficient.

While the 1/4 wave on the mag mount isn't the best ground plane, it's somewhat close, which will definitely work better than the L bracket antenna. The black antenna I use on one of the radios is a 1/2 wave that doesn't require a ground plane, but will work better with one.

All works well for my use case though. You'll probably be fine too at those power levels.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got a number of small stations set up like that on my trunked system.

15 watts, and I always use some form of external antenna to get it away from the users. Usually it's a mag mount, 1/4 wave antenna, and stick it on a file cabinet, or book shelf.

2 watts is probably fine on top of the power supply cabinet. The antenna will be happier with a ground plane. Even 'no ground plane' antennas will work better with one.