Bad SDR's?

iowajm780

Here is a weird one. Went to listen to this morning and the VHF P2 system was dead. The correct control channel is in but it's just idle. Just get a bunch of sync loss. Waterfall shows it also. Now in tuners it shows an unlock when manually typing it. Tried the NOAA weather station shows up in the waterfall but unlocked. When I put the 800 MHz system it works fine. The control channel shows correct in the now playing but in tuners the control channel freq is wrong but shows locked. Are both my SDR's hosed?. Tried on another computer and same problem. As they say it worked fine yesterday..

iowajm780

Never mind, it's working now. I put a fan on the SDR's since they seem a bit hot to the touch. I just have bad luck..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There is no "heat issue." SDRs get warm / hot to the touch, and those with metal cases use that case to shed heat. I have a bunch running 24/7 that use no additional cooling measures. This is not to say that SDRs don't fail, but it's probably due to cheap components or poor assembly.

iowajm780

I have no idea why mine had this behavior today. Anyway they have been running fine for about 7 hours now. I have removed the fan and still no problems. These are now going to run 24/7 and hopefully have no problems. What an andventure, but now everything is great using Trunk Recorder to listen. A definite learning curve with lots of frustration but as I learned more, things began to make sense which is the fun about this hobby.