Baltimore County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDGDigital

Never seen BCoPD go down to DC before.
Must be following somebody important.

I'm pretty sure I was hearing this on "MD Tac 1" yesterday. The helicopter was definitely following someone, and there were several vehicles that were trying to catch up to the helicopter's turn-by-turn directions. They eventually did, but I won't go into details since I don't like to publish this kind of police activity, but I kept listening because I was intrigued about why this type of traffic wasn't encrypted. I was also intrigued by why I was hearing this from deep in Caroline County.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure I was hearing this on "MD Tac 1" yesterday. The helicopter was definitely following someone, and there were several vehicles that were trying to catch up to the helicopter's turn-by-turn directions. They eventually did, but I won't go into details since I don't like to publish this kind of police activity, but I kept listening because I was intrigued about why this type of traffic wasn't encrypted. I was also intrigued by why I was hearing this from deep in Caroline County.
You don't normally hear MD TAC1 in Caroline Co? What site do you usually affiliate with? An airborne radio could theoretically affiliate with sites way far away, which is why the transmit side on an aircraft radio needs to be low power. Maybe that's why you heard them? IDK.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Also dumb question. Is is possible to pick up and decode p25 GPS radio bursts?
I know that commercial digital radio location data can be decoded and mapped, but I think P25 location data is somehow obscured.

RDGDigital

You don't normally hear MD TAC1 in Caroline Co? What site do you usually affiliate with? An airborne radio could theoretically affiliate with sites way far away, which is why the transmit side on an aircraft radio needs to be low power. Maybe that's why you heard them? IDK.

The closest site to me is the tower in Denton, MD, which is where most of the traffic I hear comes from. My guess is that because this was a surveillance operation, maybe they didn't know where they would be going, and therefore wanted to be able to affiliate far and wide. I don't really know either. I guess what really intrigued me the most was that I was hearing everything, air, vehicle and the dispatcher, even while some of them were having trouble hearing each other.

I guess what interested me the most was, being in Caroline County, I don't hear this kind of traffic very often. In fact, since Caroline and the surrounding counties have encrypted all their police channels, the only police activity I hear is MSP and DNR Police, which is usually very routine.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MD Tac 1 is probably strapped enabled on the Eastern Shore, and likely why you heard it. Not sure why BCPD was using that channel instead of the Central Md / NCR Tacs, who knows - maybe MEMA is reserving those for COVID-19 response. I hear MD Tac 2 in use around the Annapolis area when events are going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.