Banff Fire/EMS

Warrior12

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Has anyone been to Banff recently and monitored? I want to confirm if anyone has heard Banff Fire Department on their paging frequency and dispatch on 169.260. Having been to Banff and Lake Louise this past October, I did go by the Fire Hall and did see VHF fender mounted antenna on a newer white GMC Yukon of theirs sitting outside the hall. So, I'm assuming they're still on the VHF frequency for being toned and for dispatch communications, as I don't see them on AFFRCS.

Another puzzled question I have, for Banff EMS assuming they're on encrypted AFFRCS system. What would the VHF antenna on their rigs be used for if not for Dispatch or EMS comm's? Are they being toned out on 166.290 along with Banff FD still?
 

VA6IKR

Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Messages
35
Reaction score
13
Location
Alberta
I cant confirm if the paging frequency is still used but I definitely heard fire on 166.29 when I was there a few days ago. I'm not exactly sure where EMS is but I'd suspect mainly AFRRCS with the occasional VHF analog use.
 

Warrior12

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
I suspected Banff Fire was still VHF analog on their frequency, seeing the VHF antennas on their Command SUV's outside the Fire Hall back in October.
Banff EMS I suspect is primarily AFFRCS, as Nakoda EMS and Fire are on AFFRCS. I saw a black stubby antenna on one of the newer looking Banff EMS units. I'm thinking they have VHF Mutual Aid channels with Banff Fire Dept or Parks Canada, as they do attend calls together.
 

kd7jfv

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
405
Reaction score
197
Location
Bend, Oregon
I just spent a week in Banff and did not see this thread until after I left. I monitored the P25 system and had very very little activity and no paging or tone out type traffic on the P25 Lake Louise site that I could monitor from my campsite.
 

harryshute

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
1,909
Reaction score
331
Location
Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
I suspected Banff Fire was still VHF analog on their frequency, seeing the VHF antennas on their Command SUV's outside the Fire Hall back in October.
Banff EMS I suspect is primarily AFFRCS, as Nakoda EMS and Fire are on AFFRCS. I saw a black stubby antenna on one of the newer looking Banff EMS units. I'm thinking they have VHF Mutual Aid channels with Banff Fire Dept or Parks Canada, as they do attend calls together.
EMS and Banff Fire also access AFRRCS VHF. But yes coordination with Canada Parks is also essential on VHF. Banff Town is Agency 643 on AFRRCS.
 
Top