• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-5RH GMRS

Renfro

Hello and thanks in advance for reading a newbies post.

I am new to this so please be gentle lol.

I bought a Baofeng BF-5RH handheld off Temu and have a question about using it to communicate with a friends Motorola T7450 on GMRS-1 462.5625 MHz.

1) I set my Baofeng to 462.5625 MHz.
2) When the Motorola transmits it comes through the Baofeng loud and clear.
3) When the Baofeng PTT key is pressed I get nothing on the Motorola.

Volume is up and when I use a second Motorola T7450 to transmit it comes through loud and clear on both the Baofeng and other Motorola.

I have not changed any menu options on the Baofeng. It's straight out of the box and fully charged before use. The antenna is fully screwed onto the radio.

When pressing the PTT on the Baofeng I see fully lit "bar" below the "A" frequency of 462.5625 MHz, it's pegged with all the "squares" including the right most red ones lit. I assume that means I am transmitting?

1000021570.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or could my new radio be malfunctioning?

Also, am I correct in assuming that it's OK to transmit on the GMRS frequencies because they are on my Motorola radios?

nd5y

Am I doing something wrong or could my new radio be malfunctioning?
It could be because of tone squelch or a repeater offset. It could be because the radio is defective.
Also, am I correct in assuming that it's OK to transmit on the GMRS frequencies because they are on my Motorola radios?
The Motorola T7450 is a FCC Part 95 certified FRS radio. They are perfectly legal to use.

The Baofeng is not. It is probably only legal to use in the US on amateur rafio frequencies if you are a licensed amateur radio operator.
Your picture looks like a 5RM Review 5RM - Miklor.
Maybe the info on that site will help you if what you bought is the same radio. Your picture shows it is missing the small name plate below the 8 & 9 keys. That's probably not a good sign. If you bought it on Temu it probably came straight from China and there is no telling what you got.

Last edited:

tomk62

Pro tip #1: do not ever buy anything from Temu. Send it back, we have no idea what this is, and it may be a HAM radio (as best I can tell).

If you want an entry level GMRS HT and you are on a tight budget, have a look at this. Being new to GMRS, I would also recommend you watch more of notarubicon's videos. While is sense of humor is not suitable for "some people", the info he provides is practical. If you have a bigger budget, look at the Midland or Motorola options.

Last edited:

Renfro

Your picture shows it is missing the small name plate below the 8 & 9 keys. That's probably not a good sign. If you bought it on Temu it probably came straight
It actually does have a name plate there, just didnt show in the image due to angle and lighting but it says "UV-5R MAX"

It is probably only legal to use in the US on amateur rafio frequencies if you are a licensed amateur radio operator

Agreed, it is my intention to only TEST it by using it on the GMRS frequency that is listed as used for GMRS 1 on the channels of the Motorola T7450 talkabout until I have obtained my license. I figured I would be ok simply testing the new radio in this fashion. I got it on a sale on Temu and only wanted to see if it works. I have not and will NOT be using the radio to transmit other than this GMRS test and definitely not on any HAM frequencies so please don't assume that I am "that guy" lol. I do understand the concern. My journey started with a SDR reciever made with a RTL-SDR V4 R828D RTL2832U USB dongle on a Arduino / Raspbian setup. It is my intention to obtain my HAM license and setup a similar 433 transciever on an ESP32 for sh1ts and grins.

You need to set PL tone 67.0 in the Baofeng or send it back. Set PL 67.0 on whatever radio you end up with.

Thanks for a helpful reply. I will search for this setting.

Pro tip #1: do not ever buy anything from Temu

I wouldn't be so harsh on Temu. I have purchased plenty of items there, mostly microcontrollers, ESP32 and the like. I made my own device to monitor my windmill RPM versus voltage and amperage on all 3 phases of my PM alternator as well as wind speed. It logs the data, provides email and SMS alerts when certain conditions are met such as excessive RPM. It also hosts a LAN webpage that shows the current readings and via port forwarding on my router I can view this info via the internet when traveling. Next is a planned upgrade to incorporate electric braking that will keep the speed from becoming excessive but still allow for generation of some power for my charge controller. I have bought many other things and the only complaint I have is the time it takes for first class mail from China lol but hey, shipping is CHEAP or free depending on order total.

It could be because of tone squelch or a repeater offset

Thanks for the helpful information. I will check into this.