• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F9V2+ TX power measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimbobaggins

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

First time posting. I work with a couple guys that are into Amateur Radio and they've kind of got me a little interested, so I picked up a Baofeng BF-F9V2+ off of Amazon because of the cheap entry point... I don't want to commit a lot of cash unless I know I'm going to stick with it.

I was curious what the output power of this thing actually is, so I plugged it into a spectrum analyzer and made a couple measurements across the two frequency bands, on "high" power.

I did this earlier (and didn't take pics) and I hit 7.1W (on what frequency I forget), so perhaps I need to toss it on the charger tonight and repeat tomorrow. It hasn't been charged I got it, which was the last week of December, and I've used it a couple times to listen to the radio while working around the house.

Test setup: Keysight Field Fox in Spec An mode, with a 30 dB wideband input attenuator. That's the other source of potential error in these measurements, I tried to use an external source to cal the Spec An for the target frequencies, but the cal may not be spot on, and a couple tenths can make a big deal. If I can find a higher power test source, I'll redo this. My test source only goes up to 12 dBm.

I set the center frequencies to the center of the two bands, with a 100 MHz span.

Radio:
IMG_20160121_175555_zpspzqp7k7i.jpg

Test Setup:
IMG_20160121_175548_zpsdcruro4o.jpg

136MHz:
136_zpsqfgvu3kl.png

155MHz:
155_zpspyopxy4u.png

174MHz:
174_zpsadyftool.png

400MHz:
400_zps0m1b7eq5.png

440MHz:
440_zpszxf4hxhs.png

480MHz:
480_zps4mowtwvm.png

So, output power bounced between 37.3 dBm and 38.2 dBm... 5.37W to 6.6W.

Hopefully I didn't break any forum rules by posting these pics via photobucket. This is how I usually do it on forums, and I didn't see anything in the rules forbidding it.

- Jim

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That's a pretty clean signal. There's one spur visible, but well within acceptable limits.

slimbobaggins

Premium Subscriber
100 Mhz Span... is not enough to see the harmonics
True, not the purpose of my test though. But if there's interest, Ill open it up to check for harmonics.
The span was selected for convenience of not having to constantly adjust things as I recorded lower, middle, and upper for both bands.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I would be interested to see if Baofeng has improved since last year's Dayton Hamvention. At that time, a huge percentage of these radios were tested and found to splatter all over the place. One radio in particular showed the second upper harmonic with more power than the tuned frequency!

slimbobaggins

Premium Subscriber
I would be interested to see if Baofeng has improved since last year's Dayton Hamvention. At that time, a huge percentage of these radios were tested and found to splatter all over the place. One radio in particular showed the second upper harmonic with more power than the tuned frequency!
I'll redo the test next week to see what the harmonics look like (snow day today).

If you go to Dayton, you may or may not have run into one of my mentors at work, John. His callsign is WD8MQN.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
If you go to Dayton, you may or may not have run into one of my mentors at work, John. His callsign is WD8MQN.
I just received my ticket for the 2016 Dayton Hamvention in the mail this morning. I also made reservations for four nights in a nearby hotel. There's an RTA stop right in front of the hotel for a 40 minute bus ride. I'll keep an ear open for John.

slimbobaggins

Premium Subscriber
Bump... I'm looking at this thread from work, and it doesn't look like my pics are showing up... but work may have just blocked them. Can anyone else see the SA shots I took?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Bump... I'm looking at this thread from work, and it doesn't look like my pics are showing up... but work may have just blocked them. Can anyone else see the SA shots I took?

Looks like Photobucket is having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.