Battery Charging Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2RSK

After the first time of charging the AA batteries that came with the 436.
What are you finding as a normal length of time that it takes to fully recharge the batteries?
The first initial charge took about 15 hours.
The nex time I went to charge the batteries it took over 20 hours, but the messg on the screen never indicated, fully charged. Will it ??

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Battery charging

The best way is to use an external charger that charges each battery individually. When you charge in the radio. the batteries are charged in series, which is less effective and does not allow for the variances in batteries, even those of the same brand and capacity. There are other posts on RR of damage to radios when a battery shorts or something else goes wrong. An additional benefit is that you can always have a freshly charged set ready to go when you use an external charger.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
The best way is to use an external charger that charges each battery individually. When you charge in the radio. the batteries are charged in series, which is less effective and does not allow for the variances in batteries, even those of the same brand and capacity. There are other posts on RR of damage to radios when a battery shorts or something else goes wrong. An additional benefit is that you can always have a freshly charged set ready to go when you use an external charger.

Best advice.

Buy a bunch of rechargeable batteries. They will not get wasted with these scanners running all the time. Being restricted to charging by PC is so 1980....lol

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The charger in the scanner is strictly timer based. It does not actually detect a full charge (impossible when charging cells in series). If power is interrupted, the timer resets.

KB2RSK

Battery Recharge

So is it not a good idea to leave the scanner pluged in when nit being used while the battery isrecharging ?
I soometimes at night will leave it pluged in and after shhutting down it will ask to charrge battery. If i. know that know that IS have previouslly charged the battery IS shhouls annswer no ?

teufler

Take the output, in mah, from the wall wart and divide into the total mah of the batteries. Thats a rough calculation but its close enough for gov't work. I have the 396xt, the charger puts oput 800 mah. The radio has 3 AA batteries that are 2500mah each batteries, so 7500mah divided by 800 mah output is alittle over 9 hours, from dead cell to charge cell,

Status
Not open for further replies.