BC125AT: BC125at: can it pick up CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggen

I know that the scanner will scan the band, but with the stock antenna am I gonna pick anything up? I drove I85 from Greenville to Atlanta today and got one hit on Ch 19. I was under the impression that the truckers were all over it. Is it likely that only one trucker using Ch 19 was within range in the 2.5 hour drive or did I just not hear them?

(And yes, I'm new to scanning.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes it will, to a point. Like a previous poster suggested, the antenna has a lot to do with it. Frankly not many mobile scanner antennas are very good performers down that low, but it won't hurt to try.

However you will find certain channels may be unreadable. They are using a form of modulation called Single Sideband (SSB) which no scanner can handle. It will sound like Donald Duck on a bad day. Channel 19 (27185 Khz, if memory serves) should be fine...

Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Yes it will, to a point. Like a previous poster suggested, the antenna has a lot to do with it. Frankly not many mobile scanner antennas are very good performers down that low, but it won't hurt to try.

However you will find certain channels may be unreadable. They are using a form of modulation called Single Sideband (SSB) which no scanner can handle. It will sound like Donald Duck on a bad day. Channel 19 (27185 Khz, if memory serves) should be fine...

Mike

I talk SSB all the time never sounds like the DUCK. LOL Yeah I know you meant on his scanner. And I talk a lil higher say 28.400 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.