BC346xtc the wave of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, the cost of redesigning the BC346XT to internally recharge batteries in a way that is compliant with CEC rules is quite high and requires basically a complete re-layout of all the PCBs and potentially an outer case change, as well. Several hundred-thousand $ and at least 10 months. California received a lot of input from manufacturers regarding the economical return on investment as well as the time required to make such changes. CEC basically ignored the comments and implemented the rules on a timeline that was shorter than a reasonable development cycle. In the second round of comments you can find manufacturers basically saying "Since you completely ignored our comments during the first round, we see no point in saying the same thing, again."

BC125AT and BC75XLT are CEC compliant, as will be any future scanner we make with internal charging capabilities.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Paul, will the 396XT also be released as an XTC model, or no?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Unfortunately, the cost of redesigning the BC346XT to internally recharge batteries in a way that is compliant with CEC rules is quite high and requires basically a complete re-layout of all the PCBs and potentially an outer case change, as well. Several hundred-thousand $ and at least 10 months....
BC125AT and BC75XLT are CEC compliant, as will be any future scanner we make with internal charging capabilities.

Paul, will the 396XT also be released as an XTC model, or no?
Paul,

Chris's question and your statement along with the current "Out of Stock" situation at the Uniden store brings to mind more serious questions. Has the production of those scanners affected by the edict from Cali been split into two streams? (One for California and one for the majority of the United States.) Or has the production of 346XTs been discontinued in lieu of producing only 346XTCs? And if so, will the 396XT suffer the same fate?

ETA: I was putting that response together and did not see your response in ref the 396; however, my basic queries still stand.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The BC346XT has been discontinued and replaced with BC346XTC. I cannot make any statement regarding the BCD396XT's future replacement (and no matter when it is, there is always a "future replacement" someday, so don't read to much into that wording) at this time.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The BC346XT has been discontinued and replaced with BC346XTC. I cannot make any statement regarding the BCD396XT's future replacement (and no matter when it is, there is always a "future replacement" someday, so don't read to much into that wording) at this time.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand about the future replacement bit and your specific restrictions in that regard. I will not comment on my thoughts in this regard except to say I am glad I have never had a desire to live in California.

nanZor

Unbelievable - I dug further into the bcs specs and the power play going on between various agencies and will have to keep my mouth shut.

This could be an opportunity for Uniden to manufacture / relabel or endorse a quality external charging system using low-self-discharge batteries.

I'm quite sure Uniden knows what makes a good charging system / battery setup, so I won't turn this into that kind of thread which has been covered already.

If such a product was made by Uniden, not only would it benefit the new model 346 owners, but past owners of 346 / 396 scanners as well since they may be using non-optimal chargers and batteries from the racks of typical drugstores.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DaveNF2G

Well lets hope my 346XT lasts until there's a new model similar that can charge batteries inside it..

Where you live, the 396XT is going to become a near necessity soon. Maybe not for your own town, but Schenectady PD will be digital just about any day now.

captncarp

Isn't it wonderful that the CLOWNS that run California can force there view of Utopia on the rest of the country. I guess they would like the electronic industry to be bankrupt like California.

NWtoSFO

Isn't it wonderful that the CLOWNS that run California can force there view of Utopia on the rest of the country. I guess they would like the electronic industry to be bankrupt like California.

We don't have clowns running things! We have Gov Jerry Brown and SF Mayor Gavin Newsome and Sen Diane Fienstein and . . ., nevermind. You're right.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber

That is a terrible insult to clowns everywhere. The really stupid people are the ones that vote the idiots into office.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I will not comment on my thoughts in this regard except to say I am glad I have never had a desire to live in California.

Getting the thread back to technical topics...

I also took a look at the link RadioDaze provided. It seems like the new law is trying to limit trickle charging.

Paul, thanks for the references about the BC125AT. I took a look at the user's manual here:
http://www.banoggle.com/products/resources/Uniden/BC125AT-Owners-Manual-1.pdf

There is a table on pg. 25 that shows charging states. One of the states is "Charge Off".

Curious to know if the 125 (and the other radio) will re-enable charging if battery drops below a certain voltage? Or if my understanding is correct and maintenance charging has been essentially outlawed?

I am also curious to know if other battery chargers, such as the high end LaCrosse and Maha will also soon be outlawed? Maybe it's time to stock up?

Doing a bit more searching turned up this reference:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/appliances/battery_chargers/

It's a bit higher up the tree than RadioDaze's link. Provides access to a variety of information, including requirements for vendors.

Last edited:

N1SQB

California bears it's weight on Uniden!

Unbelievable! There are 50 states, yet one, in this case California, gets to call the shots to the point where it brings production of a Uniden scanner to a grinding halt and forces a redesign! While it won't affect me as I already own a 346XT,and a 396XT (in case that one is next), and I charge externally, I find it puzzling and troubling just how much Uniden is willing to bend to one state's ridiculous mandate! I second Lou on this one, I am GLAD I never had a desire to live in California!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.