BC346xtc the wave of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
2 things...

If I have rechargable batteries, they will trickle charge, no state law will stop me from that.

Also, I'm glad we don't have the same gun laws as California. We could be feeding our guns(not detachable magazines) from stripper clips.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
hmm,
I was thinking and came up with this theory. Correct me if I am wrong but California as a state is in VERY deep debt. Actually, if I remember deeper than any other state in the U.S. States are supported by taxes, actually several types of taxes. 1 being the "sales" tax. So not only Uniden, but several manufacturers most likely will not be able to reconfigure their chargers either, hence more disposable batteries are sold generating more cash flow. I'm actually joking about this but if I could come up with this joking, who knows what brainiac lawmaker would seriously come up with this. Personally just like the rest of you, I think think this is wrong and backa**ward but we all know the smart guys are the ones ion charge (cough, cough)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
backwards thinking... as others said now 100's of alkaline batteries will be in California Land-fills

or maybe people will just charge using a stand-alone charger which they should anyway

or maybe people will order from other states (thus hurting local Calfornia retailers / economy)

backwards...

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe Uniden should bring this into the Federal courts. Seems to me that California is burdening the dormant Commerce Clause. Actually, this could be a "main" commerce clause infringement.

nanZor

I'll try to avoid the political stance, but from what I've read, it was actually the Federal DOE that came up with the new battery charging proposal around 2007 or so in the first place with the Energy Independence and Security Act, and then the California CEC got tired of waiting around for it to be implemented, so it forged ahead on it's own.

Searched for CEC vs DOE battery charging and up came a lot of documents. The issue is not just AA charging, but all battery chargers which fall into consumer / commercial categories with their own special requirements.

I'm not sure if the CEC requirements are less or more strict than the original DOE proposals.

From a layman's terms on the issue of AA slow-charging with a timed charger, I was puzzled since an adjustable timed charger has a shutoff at some point so why wouldn't that be acceptable? My simplified answer is that a timed charger doesn't know if the end user has inserted cells that already have some state of charge in them, and wasting power past the fully charged state as compared to a cell that was fully depleted prior to charging.

I think Uniden's response was smart, even if they were frustrated with the process. I know I would be. Now it won't matter what the CEC OR DOE come up with - it won't halt the distribution of a fine scanner like the 346xtc.

Last edited by a moderator:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
... Now it won't matter what the CEC OR DOE come up with - it won't halt the distribution of a fine scanner like the 346xtc.
Except that apparently they aren't even produced yet, or if they are have not hit the supply chain.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
So let me get this straight, CA is ordering Uniden to make this scanner? Or are they requesting it? Or is this Unidens idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.