BC796D Hangs on CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

raystcyr

I have a BC796D that will scan great. Sometimes for an hour or so. Then will decide to lock on to a control channel and not scan again until I press scan button. I have reflashed unit to new firmware and then back to old fw. I also reprogrammed unit all over again (Banks and freqs) and checked for power supply ripple and there was none. This is a VERY intermittent problem and will scan sometimes for a day and not lock up. The control channel it locks on is different but always a CC. Has anyone ever had this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Ray

crevatis

I have had this happen very intermittently on both by 245XLT and my 296D with an EDACS system. My guess is that happened when the system decided to change control channels. I haven't kept track of which channels are being used and have not verified this in any way.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
All my CCs are Motorola type II smart. With only one trunk on each bank.
I have a similar experience with my 245 and 296 on Moto II. It seems to be a CC that is a voice freq on another site on the same system that is too far away 99.9%of the time but will occasionally open squelch and all I hear is CC data.

raystcyr

Cc

I disconnected the antenna and still the same thing. Also when it gets stuck on the CC I may hear data or it may be silent. Even with the antenna disconnected it still receives the CC so you could be correct (I am close to the tower). Did you find a solution?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Did you find a solution?
I have two antennas to choose from. One at 40ft and one at 25ft. If it is happening enough to be annoying I use the lower one and just monitor my closest site, about 10km away. 95% of the time I use the higher one and have four of five sites up.

ve1sef

Couple thoughts.
What is the delay setting on the channel?
- I've had a problem with the 785 hanging on a channel too long, which
disappeared when I sent my delay to "none".
Any other electronics in the room with the scanner?
- I use to get interference from the computer. I solved it by either adjusting
my squelch and/or moved the scanner to another room.

raystcyr

Delay

Delay set for 2 sec. Unit sitting on top of computer desk. I think you might have something there. I will change both the delay and location of scanner. Come to think of it my computer is almost always on and the problem started about the time I upgraded my computer to a liquid cooled system. So the FSB on it is very high. Harmonics a good possibility. I will try this and post on here the results. Thanks

raystcyr

Never Noticed

I just caught it locking up. There was a very brief message at the bottom of the display that I never saw before. It said "CTRL CH NOT AVAIL". There isn't anything in the manual about the error (self exclamatory). When that happened it locked up. This CC may have an alternate they switch to. Will check.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Remove the P25 digital module card from the back of the scanner and clean the gold edge connector contacts with a pencil eraser, then wipe with alcohol, and reinstall it. Also make sure the firmware is up to date.

raystcyr

Updated

Firmware had been updated. Did not clean contacts but had reseated the card. I will clean them anyway. We are on the Gulf Coast and get a lot of corrosion here from the salt air. Thanks. As of this post I do not have a solution.

ve1sef

I just caught it locking up. There was a very brief message at the bottom of the display that I never saw before. It said "CTRL CH NOT AVAIL". There isn't anything in the manual about the error (self exclamatory). When that happened it locked up. This CC may have an alternate they switch to. Will check.

It does sounds like an alternating control channel exists.
Is the scanner still attached to the outside antenna?
- If your using the stock antenna, in a diferent room.
It's possible that the signal from that site is not as strong
in the new room.

Last edited:

kd7ckq

My BC780XLT would do this every now and then. Would happen when the signal would drop suddenly forcing the scanner to go into scan for a active CC or if the signal was 'picket-fencing.' Now that I am using it as a base. It rarely does it any more.

raystcyr

Fix

I sent it off to Uniden and it came back, finally, after confusion on their part. They changed the squelch control which has nothing to do with trunking. After I plugged it in I got my same old hang on CC. After checking the trunk data in the scanner I found out that the trunking system had changed to Type II hybrid (from Type II). Being it was now hybrid I changed the settings and now it has been working GREAT. Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the feedback. This is how we all learn.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.