BCD325P2 Menu screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GEX

Last summer I bought a used 325P that had the exact same problem. It was very intermittent. I tried reprogramming & resetting it, but the menu flickering always came back. I finally took the thing apart and poked around the innards a bit. I don't recall exactly what I did in there (probably re-seated a connector or two), but afterwards the problem was gone.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Last summer I bought a used 325P that had the exact same problem.
Did your display flicker all of the time or only on the menus? If only on the menus, you have obviously found the problem. Connectors and pins expand and contract with a change in temperature.

N4GEX

It was mainly the menu, but sometimes it would happen when I pressed the function knob to change the volume. It was maddening. All is well now.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Forget the heat gun. I have seen melted wiring harnesses. A hair dryer is sufficient.
"Heat gun" being the tool used to heat individual SMD devices for desoldering, but with the temperature turned down to 100C or so. Not the large standalone handheld heat gun that would melt the entire device...

kayleesdad

All the menu screens finally disappeared permanently. Reflashed the firmware, hard reset the scanner several times.

Off to uniden for warranty repair.

Reactions: wtp

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Mobile scanners by definition need to be able to survive hot cars.

kayleesdad

It will be baked in a hot stationary car with humidity and windows up, just like the 246t, 396t, and 396xt that survived similar conditions year in and year out, and hopefully the "cold solder kid" will survive like it's predecessors. Hopefully.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
None of that applies when the car is parked for a while, and you start it up and turn on the scanner before it cools down. Or if you forget to turn it off when you park.

kayleesdad

Well the 325p2 cold solder joint kid couldn't kick the habit, fell back into its broken ways. Out of warranty but I will send it in under warranty anyway. That was a lot of money to spend for a dud.

The official death certificate will undoubtedly read cause of death was 'covid related complications'.

Reactions: wtp

Chris0516

Well the 325p2 cold solder joint kid couldn't kick the habit, fell back into its broken ways. Out of warranty but I will send it in under warranty anyway. That was a lot of money to spend for a dud.

The official death certificate will undoubtedly read cause of death was 'covid related complications'.
When did you buy it? Where did you buy it? How often did you have it outdoors? Did you have it near a heat source?

kayleesdad

When did you buy it? Where did you buy it? How often did you have it outdoors? Did you have it near a heat source?
March of 2020, I think, was the purchase date.

It just sat in the car not in direct sunlight.

Oh well off to uniden repair without a credit card for them to charge.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sending it in for repair without a method of payment (check for the repair charges, or credit/debit card info) is not likely to be successful. Unless you include a proof of purchase to show it still under warranty, I would suspect you'll be asked to provide payment either for repair, or shipping the unrepaired scanner back to you. Had this return trip been within the 90 day warranty for repairs, a copy of the SRO showing that might have been appropriate. But apparently, the previous repair was completed this past May, more than 5 months ago.

You're now indicating purchase date of March 2020, which is obviously out unless purchased with a credit card that doubles or extends the original warranty. Even a purchase date of July 2020, as was stated in an earlier post, is well past the expiration date.

Chris0516

March of 2020, I think, was the purchase date.

It just sat in the car not in direct sunlight.

Oh well off to uniden repair without a credit card for them to charge.
If you kept it in the glove compartment. Mild though it is. The engine would be the heat source. This may sound like a cruel analogy. Leaving it in a closed glove compartment. Is almost analogous to. Leaving an infant or toddler in the car. While it is parked under a hot sun. Over time, the solder joints begin to melt.

kayleesdad

Yes the baby has met its untimely devise in the hot car. I'll check on the credit card extended warranty, thanks for that suggestion,, purchase was a July, 2020. Wow, 600 bucks out the window, that's a tough one. I'll just have to beg, but even if they fix it its pretty much a guaranteed dud that will have to stay indoors if it is to have any chance at survival.

Chris0516

Yes the baby has met its untimely devise in the hot car. I'll check on the credit card extended warranty, thanks for that suggestion,, purchase was a July, 2020. Wow, 600 bucks out the window, that's a tough one. I'll just have to beg, but even if they fix it its pretty much a guaranteed dud that will have to stay indoors if it is to have any chance at survival.
I rarely take my handheld BCD325p2 outdoors.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
If you kept it in the glove compartment. Mild though it is. The engine would be the heat source. This may sound like a cruel analogy. Leaving it in a closed glove compartment. Is almost analogous to. Leaving an infant or toddler in the car. While it is parked under a hot sun. Over time, the solder joints begin to melt.
It takes about 700 degrees Fahrenheit for solder to melt. Not going to happen inside a glove box unless the car is on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.