BCD325P2 vs BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgeteer2000

Hello all,
I have read many comments comparing these two radios - I hope you do not mind my asking yet another question about this.

I am very well aware of (some) of the differences between the two radios: screen (and details provided on screen); SD card (and recording to it) vs. large (but limited) memory; somewhat different operation (enter zip code and scanner auto populates vs. program systems you need) etc. I am also aware that I will probably need the radioreference subscription for the 325 while I do not need it for the 436. But this is not what I am asking.

I have only one question: from a receiving hardware perspective (where I mean reception, sensitivity, ability to decode certain modes etc.) - is there any significant difference between the two, and if yes, what is it?

I would prefer the cheaper model - but only if I will not miss out on anything (I am in the Toronto area, Canada) from a hardware (reception) perspective. So is there anything the 325P2 cannot receive but the 436HP can?

Thank you for your feedback!

PS: I am aware of the better SD100 - but that is outside of my budget.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you. Would you have a perspective please on the receiving hardware differences?
There's no significant difference in reception sensitivity between the 325P2 & the 436HP (I have both). The channel coverage (frequencies) and available modes are also the same across both models. The 325P2 is the hand-held sibling to your 996P2.

The 436HP is marginally better with simulcast than the 325P2, but if you are not having issues, at home, with your 996P2, than that issue may not be a factor. If, at some point, you were planning a trip to an area unfamiliar to you, and were planning to use a GPS, then the 436HP is the better choice.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Earlier this year I was weighing both these models myself, I ended up going with the 436hp. It was only 50 bucks more, I liked the larger screen and the fact that it takes 3 batteries instead of 2 for longer run time. A lot of people said the 325p2 ate batteries for lunch. I couldn't be happier with my 436, it gets great reception (no simulcast where I am). I wouldn't mind trying a 325p2 in the future, I own an old 246t which is basically the same size and like how compact it is.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Earlier this year I was weighing both these models myself, I ended up going with the 436hp. It was only 50 bucks more, I liked the larger screen and the fact that it takes 3 batteries instead of 2 for longer run time. A lot of people said the 325p2 ate batteries for lunch. I couldn't be happier with my 436, it gets great reception (no simulcast where I am). I wouldn't mind trying a 325p2 in the future, I own an old 246t which is basically the same size and like how compact it is.
Battery like is better on the 436HP. And, yes, if you are out and around with the 325P2, you need to carry extra batteries or a way to power it externally.

Gadgeteer2000

Thank you all. So it sounds like in reception they are pretty much the same, the differences are related to gps, battery etc. but not to reception. This is very helpful. Thank you!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 isn't that much more expensive, and you get a lot more with it. GPS capability and the database are the best option available for travel scanning; the 325P2 doesn't have enough memory to program everything along the way if you do a multi-state road trip.

Gadgeteer2000

OK. I am looking at my budget now trying to squeeze in the 436.i would also need a GPS. What is the lowest cost gps and cable solution? I do not mind making my one cable if I find instructions... Thank you for all these replies!

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
OK. I am looking at my budget now trying to squeeze in the 436.i would also need a GPS. What is the lowest cost gps and cable solution? I do not mind making my one cable if I find instructions... Thank you for all these replies!
One other thing, prices on scanners right now seem to change like the wind. It really pays to shop around and price watch. I used camelcamelcamel to track the Amazon prices for both models to get an idea of what a good price would be. Looking at the 436 right now the price has ranged from $422-$554 over the last year. Average was $489. I got mine for $450. The 325p2 has dropped to $380 several times since February, it's averaging $399. Hope this helps

trp2525

...Looking at the 436 right now the price has ranged from $422-$554 over the last year. Average was $489. I got mine for $450...

You can pick up a brand-new BCD436HP right now for $439.12 with FREE shipping included and no sales tax (unless you are located in Texas) per the information that I posted this past Wednesday (June 23rd) in this Radio Reference thread: BCD436HP: - Uniden BCD436HP Good Price Alert

VE2XWA

Yes, thank you. Amazon USA is quite a bit cheaper vs Amazon Canada (and they ship to Canada with all included price allowing me to compare the price apples to apples ) - so I plan to buy there. For now watching the price to see if it changes
637$ at Radioworld, Toronto. In stock. Amazing service.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I prefer the BCD325P2. But the BCD436HP is upgradable to DMR & NXDN, and even ProVoice if you need it.

Gadgeteer2000

637$ at Radioworld, Toronto. In stock. Amazing service.
Thank you. I found them to be always more (sometimes much more) expensive than others. Amazon USA is much lower. I really would like to buy local but Radioworld seems to be doing price fixing to keep prices high. So I try to avoid them if I can

Status
Not open for further replies.